Re: Another Pole Shot

  • Andrew G
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
      Roger,

      You've gone an got me interested in pole panoramas now. Just as my
      wife thought I was content with my camera gear ;-)

      K-Tek poles are out of my price range but the Gitzo G1568 Series 2
      Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod you mentioned looks interesting and on
      the go at $230. I guess I need an all rounder. Height of 63 inches
      seems ok for the high up shots and after lugging all my camera gear
      around New York City for 3 days, the thought of using a pole instead
      of a tripod & NN3, it sounds like a lot less weight. Not to mention
      getting over keen security off my back. First two words they are
      taught during training must be "No tripods".

      I have the D80 & 10.5mm (not shaved). Could mean problems with the up
      and down views?

      Look forward to your advice,

      Andrew

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...>
      wrote:

      > Yes my Nikkor 10.5mm lens is shaved.
      >
      > A few reasons why the K-Tek poles are more expensive are, its
      carbon
      > fiber and they are the only ones that make a style like this. It's
      > very strong, light, and fast to setup.
      > Take a look at prices on some of the nice carbon fiber tripods and
      > monopods like this one.
      > Gitzo G1568 Series 2 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod: $237.00
      >
      > Some people lug around a $600 or $700 carbon fiber tripod like the
      > one that I have, but I get far more use out of this pole and it's
      far
      > easier walking around with than a big tripod. It also make a good
      > walking stick and I can even slid it under my belt to have my hands
      > free and hardly notice its there.
      >
      > It's just a piece of equipment like a very good fisheye lens; it
      all
      > depends on how much use you will get out of it. After looking all
      > over I just couldn't find any others poles that met my needs. At
      > first I thought it was expensive, but as much as I use it and the
      > things that I can do with it, I don't feel that way anymore.
      >
      > Roger Berry
      >

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "verifone411" <kieranmullen@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Do you use a shaved 10.5 to allow for a larger sensor?
      > >
      > > Why are ktech poles so much more expensive
      > > http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html than
      > > http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm
      > >
      > > I currently have a 7ft Bogen monopod. Taller is always better. I
      am
      > > 6ft 5in tall.
      > >
      > > KM

    • Ricardo Araujo
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
        I own a Cavision SCPN635F carbon fiber pole and I'm very satisfied.

        You can see other models at:
        <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=sort&A=search&Q=&sortDrop=Price%3A+Low+to+High&bl=&atl=Brand_Cavision&pn=1&st=search&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&sv=pole&shs=pole&ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=8659&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=>

        acessar o site <http://www.tourvirtualbrasil.com.br>

        Andrew G escreveu:

        > Roger,
        >
        > You've gone an got me interested in pole panoramas now. Just as my
        > wife thought I was content with my camera gear ;-)
        >
        > K-Tek poles are out of my price range but the Gitzo G1568 Series 2
        > Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod you mentioned looks interesting and on
        > the go at $230. I guess I need an all rounder. Height of 63 inches
        > seems ok for the high up shots and after lugging all my camera gear
        > around New York City for 3 days, the thought of using a pole instead
        > of a tripod & NN3, it sounds like a lot less weight. Not to mention
        > getting over keen security off my back. First two words they are
        > taught during training must be "No tripods".
        >
        > I have the D80 & 10.5mm (not shaved). Could mean problems with the up
        > and down views?
        >
        > Look forward to your advice,
        >
        > Andrew
        >
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Yes my Nikkor 10.5mm lens is shaved.
        > >
        > > A few reasons why the K-Tek poles are more expensive are, its
        > carbon
        > > fiber and they are the only ones that make a style like this. It's
        > > very strong, light, and fast to setup.
        > > Take a look at prices on some of the nice carbon fiber tripods and
        > > monopods like this one.
        > > Gitzo G1568 Series 2 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod: $237.00
        > >
        > > Some people lug around a $600 or $700 carbon fiber tripod like the
        > > one that I have, but I get far more use out of this pole and it's
        > far
        > > easier walking around with than a big tripod. It also make a good
        > > walking stick and I can even slid it under my belt to have my hands
        > > free and hardly notice its there.
        > >
        > > It's just a piece of equipment like a very good fisheye lens; it
        > all
        > > depends on how much use you will get out of it. After looking all
        > > over I just couldn't find any others poles that met my needs. At
        > > first I thought it was expensive, but as much as I use it and the
        > > things that I can do with it, I don't feel that way anymore.
        > >
        > > Roger Berry
        > >

        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "verifone411" <kieranmullen@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Do you use a shaved 10.5 to allow for a larger sensor?
        > > >
        > > > Why are ktech poles so much more expensive
        > > > http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html
        > <http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html> than
        > > > http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm
        > <http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm>
        > > >
        > > > I currently have a 7ft Bogen monopod. Taller is always better. I
        > am
        > > > 6ft 5in tall.
        > > >
        > > > KM

      • bohonus
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

          > Yes, that tourist sometimes gets in my photos like in this one below.
          > http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/amer_elephants4.html
          >
          > The problem is to remove him would not be easy with the people behind
          > him, so sometimes I have to do the next best thing.

          Have you tried turning around staying behind the camera's view as you turn the pole so you
          would not end up being in the shot?
        • Roger Berry
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
            Yes I have moved around staying behind the pole, but that makes it
            go from about 4 seconds for 4 shots to 20 seconds. As you move
            around you have to realign and re-stabilize the pole.
            When I use the pole lower, say around 3 to 6 feet I will usually
            move around behind the pole or kneel down to keep the camera higher
            above me.
            I own 2 pole levels and don't use them, takes too long looking at
            one for each shot. I just stand in one place, let the pole balance
            itself, and turn it fast for the shots.
            By standing in one place holding the pole with one hand and turning
            it with the other you can keep if very staidly and centered.
            Most times it only takes a few minutes to remove myself from the
            photo with PhotoShop but sometimes I'm not looking behind my back to
            see if I may be blocking anything, and the higher the pole the less
            the problem because of the angle.

            Roger Berry

          • greggnixon@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
              >Another Pole Shot
              >Posted by: "Roger Berry" onezebra1@... onezebra1
              >Date: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:11 pm ((PST))

              > By standing in one place holding the pole with one hand and turning
              > it with the other you can keep if very staidly and centered.

              How then are you releasing the shutter ?

              Gregg.
            • bohonus
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
                I can't speak for the others, but in my case, I use my camera's built-in intervalometer.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, <greggnixon@...> wrote:

                > >Another Pole Shot
                > >Posted by: "Roger Berry" onezebra1@... onezebra1
                > >Date: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:11 pm ((PST))
                >
                > > By standing in one place holding the pole with one hand and turning
                > > it with the other you can keep if very staidly and centered.
                >

                > How then are you releasing the shutter ?
                >

                > Gregg.

              • Roger Berry
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
                  With a small wireless remote and I also have a Canon wire cable remote
                  for backup.
                  Wireless Remote for Canon 20D 30D 40D 5D RS-80N3=155

                  Roger Berry

                  > How then are you releasing the shutter ?
                  >

                  > Gregg.

                • Roger Berry
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 2 2:27 PM
                    This one is only about 3 feet high, but it was also around 7 feet out
                    horizontally. Hopefully this will give you the feeling of sitting next
                    to the elephant owner as he makes food up for his elephant.
                    http://indiavrtours.com/jaipur/elephant_feed4.html

                    Canon 5D, Nikor 10.5mm lens, home made pano head, 17 foot pole.
                  • Dave 360texas.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 2 3:01 PM
                      Roger, Thank you for showing us your work. We can relate to your
                      imaging because we visited India and Kashmire while on holiday several
                      years ago.

                      When you have more time.. please show us more.

                      Dave and Pat still at 360Texas.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 3 11:58 AM
                        Hi Dave,
                        this one opens up behind the elephant house, click on the hotspot (red dot) and you can travel through the elephant house and to another one on the other side. You can go up to the old fort wall for a good overview of the town, and off to the right see a mother and baby elephant. Most of the panos with hotspot thumbnail images are older and you need to open up the hotspots for them to show.
                        http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/elephants_street4.html

                        The older panos where shot with a Canon 20D and Sigma 8mm f/3.5 lens.
                        I will also be working on adding some new audio to the panos.

                        Roger Berry