Nadir shot?

  • brenlikescheese
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 30, 2008
      Hello all.

      I create my QTVR tours by taking 15 shots at 0 degrees, 15 at +45, 15
      at -45, one straight up and one straight down, at 18mm on my Nikon
      D70. To remove the tripod from the finished tour I usually take a had
      held shot then just work it in in Photoshop after exporting the bottom
      face of the cube from Cubic Converter. When it is too dark and I can't
      take a hand held shot I am stuck, and I have to add a logo or set a
      limit on the rotation of the tour. I have seen tours taken in very low
      light when a hand held shot seems impossible. Can anyone tell me how
      this is done?! Are there any tricks for getting the nadir shot??

      I am about to invest in a Nikon 10.5mm lens. Will this solve many/any
      problems?

      Here is a very basic tour I have done from my first proper commission.

      http://www3.hants.gov.uk/wdc/inside-wdc.htm

      Any help/advise would be much appreciated. Many thanks,
      Brendan
    • Jaume Llorens
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2008
        I use:
        http://www.panoramas.dk/quicktime/qtvr/nadir.html
        +
        http://www.ptgui.com/examples/vptutorial.html

        Hope it helps :-)

        Jaume Llorens
        www.vistes360.com

        En/na brenlikescheese ha escrit:

        --
        Jaume Llorens
        www.eldimoni.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 30, 2008
          I hate to pre-announce, but I will say that new things are brewing with the
          Pinnacle VR. I should have an official announcement early next week
          regarding nadir shots.

          Sorry for the teaser.

          Mark

          www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

          www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

          _____

          http://www3. <http://www3.hants.gov.uk/wdc/inside-wdc.htm>
          hants.gov.uk/wdc/inside-wdc.htm

          Any help/advise would be much appreciated. Many thanks,
          Brendan

        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 30, 2008
            Sometime around 30/1/08 (at 16:27 +0000) brenlikescheese said:

            >I have seen tours taken in very low
            >light when a hand held shot seems impossible. Can anyone tell me how
            >this is done?! Are there any tricks for getting the nadir shot??

            Try shooting two nadir images, one with the head turned 90 or 180
            degrees, so you can paint out everything but the center of your pano
            head. Moving the tripod to one side and shooting another to be warped
            into position, either with PTGui or manually in Photoshop, is a trick
            some do. Another approach is to move to one side and then lean the
            tripod over so the camera is pointing down and is back in the
            position it was before.

            Another technique is to make up something similar to what I did here:
            http://www.thesmallest.com/glade06/Resources/Glade-backstage-bar.mov

            >I am about to invest in a Nikon 10.5mm lens. Will this solve many/any
            >problems?

            It will mean you can take a full cubic set with six shots
            horizontally and one each for the zenith and nadir. Much less fiddly,
            I'm sure, although it means a lower maximum possible resolution for
            your final work. That's only an issue for print, really.

            >Here is a very basic tour I have done from my first proper commission.
            >
            >http://www3.hants.gov.uk/wdc/inside-wdc.htm

            What software do you use to generate your movies? It looks like you
            need to set the QT motion quality to 'High'; that would virtually
            eliminate the shimmering effect that's present when panning around.

            A bit of horizon levelling might help a bit. But well done,
            basically. Out of interest, how did you get this project?

          • Rick Drew
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 30, 2008
              I shoot a handheld with and without a flash and color correct in photoshop.
              If the patch looks a little off (Carpet weave, etc.) I'll add something that
              is not so obvious as a cap.

              Take a look at
              http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp108/html/RichardCDrew.htm
              l - a Christmas shot I made. The room was pretty low light, and the carpet
              did not look right in my patch. Complex shadows, heave weave, etc. So I
              shot some photos of packages ad various angles and stuck them on top of my
              nadir patch. Worked perfectly. Take a look - all those silver packages
              were added later as part of the patch. It's four individual images that I
              assembled and then placed on top of my not-so-perfect nadir patching job.

              In the past I've used a kid's toy, Lego building, family pet, end table,
              etc.

              This shot used an end table:
              http://www.alhambrapalacerestaurant.com/VirtualTours/BalconyRm1Lg.htm I
              added the shadow and lighting effect.

              All shots on both those panos were time exposures - average 1 second.

              Rick Drew

            • John Houghton
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 30, 2008
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "brenlikescheese"
                <brenlikescheese@...> wrote:

                > When it is too dark and I can't take a hand held shot I am stuck

                For flat floors, use the viewpoint feature in PTGui Pro. Take the
                nadir with the camera still on the pano head but with the tripod
                shiffted sideways sufficiently to clear the obstructed nadir area.

                John
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
                  brenlikescheese wrote:

                  > Are there any tricks for getting the nadir shot??

                  Besides the already mentioned ones you can use a short horizontal pole
                  mounted to your tripod or a construction like this:
                  http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Nadir/Ninja/Ninja_Eng.html

                  best regards

                  -----
                • Jeffrey Martin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
                    First of all get a panohead with a sufficiently small base. e.g. 54mm
                    diameter, 20cm away from the camera:
                    http://krumlov.360cities.net/fs.html?loc=locations/hotel-barbora.p36

                    if you had used both the cheapest and most expensive panoheads on the
                    market, here (both around 100mm diameter), the nadir hole would be 5-10x
                    bigger. That's a lot more patching, or if you're covering it up with a
                    logo, an unpleasantly large logo. Nodal ninja seems the best way to go
                    there.

                    Jeffrey

                  • brenlikescheese
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
                      Cheers for the advise Keith.

                      I use Cubic Converter & Connector to create the tours. Can you suggest
                      any other software for the mac that will do the same jobs better?

                      Setting the QT motion quality to 'High', is that something I would
                      have to do in QuickTime Pro?

                      Nice tour of the Glade by the way. I was gonna go this year but heard
                      it was getting washed out so went to Holmbush instead (little local
                      festival).

                      Thanks again
                    • Jeffrey Martin
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
                        Ok, 5 - 10x is a bit of an exaggeration....

                        Meanwhile MIlko and Michel Thoby have the "zero nadir" technique.....

                      • bohonus
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
                          > This shot used an end table:
                          > http://www.alhambrapalacerestaurant.com/VirtualTours/BalconyRm1Lg.htm I
                          > added the shadow and lighting effect.

                          Don't forget about the reflection of the camera in the mirror in the above shot.

                          You can grab a piece of the view opposite the mirror and use it to replace the reflected
                          image.
                        • Freddy Stapersma
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
                            I bought a cheap horizontal extention from walimex.
                            a bit heavy but I only use this for indoor hdr shoots anyway.
                            works like a charm!

                            http://tinyurl.com/ywdy4o

                            bought it for 30 euros on Ebay.

                            Regards.
                            discocandy

                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>
                            wrote:

                            > brenlikescheese wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Are there any tricks for getting the nadir shot??
                            > >

                            > Besides the already mentioned ones you can use a short horizontal
                            pole
                            > mounted to your tripod or a construction like this:
                            > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Nadir/Ninja/Ninja_Eng.html
                            >
                            > best regards
                            >

                            > -----
                            > Erik Krause
                            > http://www.erik-krause.de

                          • Ricardo Araujo
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
                              I shot with Gitzo G2220. It's perfect for nadir shots and it's very
                              stable. I batch stitch my panoramas and the tripod stability is crucial.

                              Regards,
                              Ricardo

                              acessar o site <http://www.tourvirtualbrasil.com.br>

                              Freddy Stapersma escreveu:

                              > I bought a cheap horizontal extention from walimex.
                              > a bit heavy but I only use this for indoor hdr shoots anyway.
                              > works like a charm!
                              >
                              > http://tinyurl.com/ywdy4o <http://tinyurl.com/ywdy4o>
                              >
                              > bought it for 30 euros on Ebay.
                              >
                              > Regards.
                              > discocandy
                              >
                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                              > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >

                              > > brenlikescheese wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Are there any tricks for getting the nadir shot??
                              > > >

                              > > Besides the already mentioned ones you can use a short horizontal
                              > pole
                              > > mounted to your tripod or a construction like this:
                              > > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Nadir/Ninja/Ninja_Eng.html
                              > <http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Nadir/Ninja/Ninja_Eng.html>
                              > >
                              > > best regards
                              > >

                              > > -----
                              > > Erik Krause
                              > > http://www.erik-krause.de <http://www.erik-krause.de>
                              > > --

                            • Keith Martin
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
                                Sometime around 31/1/08 (at 11:08 +0000) brenlikescheese said:

                                >I use Cubic Converter & Connector to create the tours. Can you suggest
                                >any other software for the mac that will do the same jobs better?

                                For QuickTime VR panorama production from existing stitched
                                equirectangular or cube face images, this seems to be the best option
                                around. But I will look with interest to see what other people
                                suggest.

                                >Setting the QT motion quality to 'High', is that something I would
                                >have to do in QuickTime Pro?

                                That's a setting in CubicConverter. In the Movie tab, open the
                                Panning Quality disclosure triangle (aka the flippy arrow thing) and
                                make sure both Motion and Static are set to High. The 'Normal'
                                setting may have been important back in the 1990s, but not any more!
                                Well, it might possibly help reduce jumpy panning with large movies,
                                but the tradeoff isn't something I'd like to make.

                                >Nice tour of the Glade by the way. I was gonna go this year but heard
                                >it was getting washed out so went to Holmbush instead (little local
                                >festival).

                                You probably wouldn't have been able to get a ticket to Glade by the
                                time the weather was known anyway - it sells out long before the
                                event. But you did manage to avoid an incredible amount of rain and
                                mud! I have a few VRs from that one here:
                                http://www.thehelpful.com/glade07/

                              • Luca Vascon
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
                                  I had bad experience with Walimex products, cheap Manfrotto copies, with
                                  all old manfrotto drawbacks and none of the plus.
                                  :-/ Is this any good?

                                  Freddy Stapersma ha scritto:

                                  > I bought a cheap horizontal extention from walimex.
                                  > a bit heavy but I only use this for indoor hdr shoots anyway.
                                  > works like a charm!
                                  >
                                  > http://tinyurl.com/ywdy4o <http://tinyurl.com/ywdy4o>
                                  >
                                  > bought it for 30 euros on Ebay.
                                  >
                                  > Regards.
                                  > discocandy
                                  >
                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > brenlikescheese wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Are there any tricks for getting the nadir shot??
                                  > > >

                                  > > Besides the already mentioned ones you can use a short horizontal
                                  > pole
                                  > > mounted to your tripod or a construction like this:
                                  > > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Nadir/Ninja/Ninja_Eng.html
                                  > <http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Nadir/Ninja/Ninja_Eng.html>
                                  > >
                                  > > best regards
                                  > >

                                  > > -----
                                  > > Erik Krause
                                  > > http://www.erik-krause.de <http://www.erik-krause.de>
                                  > > --

                                • Luca Vascon
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
                                    I've the zero nadir technique too, with 10.5 and 8mm, with monopod and
                                    with tripod.
                                    Maybe it could be my Prague speech... "Unusual uses of usual fisheyes -
                                    shoot more, stitch less -"

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
                                      Yeah.
                                      for professional work it is a big No for me.
                                      it is heavy but does the job.
                                      pretty sturdy aswell.
                                      I also have a alu tripod from them. also heavy but for windy
                                      conditions I use it.

                                      I wanted to try this horizontal pieceand thought 30 bucks was not to
                                      much money to try this first.

                                      I do this for a hobby not for my job so money is a bit limited ;-).

                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Luca Vascon <crimsonkingit@...>