Another Pole Shot

  • Roger Berry
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 29, 2008
      Here's one more reason I like using a pole.
      When taking this photo there was a thick clear plastic wall that people
      were taking photos through. Just look at that poor guy down below
      taking a shot through it. Well with a pole there's no problem, just
      shoot over the wall.
      http://www.indiavrtours.com/bikaner/throne4.html

      The top of the wall is where I put my logo.
      Equipment:
      Canon 5D - Nikkor 10.5 – 4 shots - K-tek pole.

      Cheers,
      Roger Berry
    • AYRTON - avi
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 29, 2008
        Nice again Roger
        Very nice
        congratulations

        AYRTON

        On 1/29/08, Roger Berry <onezebra1@...> wrote:
        > Here's one more reason I like using a pole.
        > When taking this photo there was a thick clear plastic wall that people
        > were taking photos through. Just look at that poor guy down below
        > taking a shot through it. Well with a pole there's no problem, just
        > shoot over the wall.
        > http://www.indiavrtours.com/bikaner/throne4.html
        >
        > The top of the wall is where I put my logo.
        > Equipment:
        > Canon 5D - Nikkor 10.5 – 4 shots - K-tek pole.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Roger Berry

        A Y R T O N
        (55-21) 9982.6313

        www.rio360.com.br
        www.vrfolio.com
        www.ayrton.com
        rio.360cities.net
      • verifone411
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 29, 2008
          Do you use a shaved 10.5 to allow for a larger sensor?

          Why are ktech poles so much more expensive
          http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html than
          http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm

          I currently have a 7ft Bogen monopod. Taller is always better. I am
          6ft 5in tall.

          KM

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

          > Here's one more reason I like using a pole.
          > When taking this photo there was a thick clear plastic wall that people
          > were taking photos through. Just look at that poor guy down below
          > taking a shot through it. Well with a pole there's no problem, just
          > shoot over the wall.
          > http://www.indiavrtours.com/bikaner/throne4.html
          >
          > The top of the wall is where I put my logo.
          > Equipment:
          > Canon 5D - Nikkor 10.5 – 4 shots - K-tek pole.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Roger Berry

        • Roger Berry
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 29, 2008
            Yes my Nikkor 10.5mm lens is shaved.

            A few reasons why the K-Tek poles are more expensive are, its carbon
            fiber and they are the only ones that make a style like this. It's
            very strong, light, and fast to setup.
            Take a look at prices on some of the nice carbon fiber tripods and
            monopods like this one.
            Gitzo G1568 Series 2 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod: $237.00

            Some people lug around a $600 or $700 carbon fiber tripod like the
            one that I have, but I get far more use out of this pole and it's far
            easier walking around with than a big tripod. It also make a good
            walking stick and I can even slid it under my belt to have my hands
            free and hardly notice its there.

            It's just a piece of equipment like a very good fisheye lens; it all
            depends on how much use you will get out of it. After looking all
            over I just couldn't find any others poles that met my needs. At
            first I thought it was expensive, but as much as I use it and the
            things that I can do with it, I don't feel that way anymore.

            Roger Berry

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "verifone411" <kieranmullen@...>
            wrote:

            > Do you use a shaved 10.5 to allow for a larger sensor?
            >
            > Why are ktech poles so much more expensive
            > http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html than
            > http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm
            >
            > I currently have a 7ft Bogen monopod. Taller is always better. I am
            > 6ft 5in tall.
            >
            > KM
          • Carel
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 29, 2008
              Roger Berry wrote:

              > http://www.indiavrtours.com/bikaner/throne4.html
              >
              > The top of the wall is where I put my logo.
              > Equipment:
              > Canon 5D - Nikkor 10.5 – 4 shots - K-tek pole.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Roger Berry

              Just one of the tourists shooting through the plexiglass :-) That is a great
              way to hide your pole.

              Carel
            • Roger Berry
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 29, 2008
                Yes, that tourist sometimes gets in my photos like in this one below.
                http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/amer_elephants4.html

                The problem is to remove him would not be easy with the people behind
                him, so sometimes I have to do the next best thing.

                Roger Berry

                > Just one of the tourists shooting through the plexiglass :-) That is
                a great
                > way to hide your pole.
                >
                > Carel
              • Roger Berry
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 30, 2008
                  This type of shot is always hard with cars and motorbikes traveling
                  fast nearby. The camera is up about 15 feet and it was done with 4
                  shots in about 4 seconds. Looking close you will notice that some of
                  the vehicles appear twice in the photo.
                  http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/wind_palace4.html

                  Roger Berry
                • pra9matiste
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
                    Hello Roger

                    All your VRs are excellent. Your pole is definitely a worthwhile
                    ingredient.
                    How tall is yours ? i look at the 20ft verion... could be useful for
                    real estate photography.
                    Would you share some of your workflow ? how long does it take you to
                    setup your rig ? what about keeping the 4 shots "level" ? you've
                    installed a bubble at the base of your pole ?

                    Thanks a lot for sharing.

                    Laurent

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                    > Yes my Nikkor 10.5mm lens is shaved.
                    >
                    > A few reasons why the K-Tek poles are more expensive are, its carbon
                    > fiber and they are the only ones that make a style like this. It's
                    > very strong, light, and fast to setup.
                    > Take a look at prices on some of the nice carbon fiber tripods and
                    > monopods like this one.
                    > Gitzo G1568 Series 2 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod: $237.00
                    >
                    > Some people lug around a $600 or $700 carbon fiber tripod like the
                    > one that I have, but I get far more use out of this pole and it's far
                    > easier walking around with than a big tripod. It also make a good
                    > walking stick and I can even slid it under my belt to have my hands
                    > free and hardly notice its there.
                    >
                    > It's just a piece of equipment like a very good fisheye lens; it all
                    > depends on how much use you will get out of it. After looking all
                    > over I just couldn't find any others poles that met my needs. At
                    > first I thought it was expensive, but as much as I use it and the
                    > things that I can do with it, I don't feel that way anymore.
                    >
                    > Roger Berry
                    >

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "verifone411" <kieranmullen@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Do you use a shaved 10.5 to allow for a larger sensor?
                    > >
                    > > Why are ktech poles so much more expensive
                    > > http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html than
                    > > http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm
                    > >
                    > > I currently have a 7ft Bogen monopod. Taller is always better. I am
                    > > 6ft 5in tall.
                    > >
                    > > KM

                  • verifone411
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
                      The only place I was able to find a buble level for a tripod was
                      kaidan
                      http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=108

                      Here is the other pole:-)
                      http://indiavrtours.com/about_us.html

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "pra9matiste" <laurentsj@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hello Roger
                      >
                      > All your VRs are excellent. Your pole is definitely a worthwhile
                      > ingredient.
                      > How tall is yours ? i look at the 20ft verion... could be useful for
                      > real estate photography.
                      > Would you share some of your workflow ? how long does it take you to
                      > setup your rig ? what about keeping the 4 shots "level" ? you've
                      > installed a bubble at the base of your pole ?
                      >
                      > Thanks a lot for sharing.
                      >
                      > Laurent
                      >
                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@>
                      wrote:

                      > > Yes my Nikkor 10.5mm lens is shaved.
                      > >
                      > > A few reasons why the K-Tek poles are more expensive are, its
                      carbon
                      > > fiber and they are the only ones that make a style like this.
                      It's
                      > > very strong, light, and fast to setup.
                      > > Take a look at prices on some of the nice carbon fiber tripods
                      and
                      > > monopods like this one.
                      > > Gitzo G1568 Series 2 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod: $237.00
                      > >
                      > > Some people lug around a $600 or $700 carbon fiber tripod like
                      the
                      > > one that I have, but I get far more use out of this pole and it's
                      far
                      > > easier walking around with than a big tripod. It also make a good
                      > > walking stick and I can even slid it under my belt to have my
                      hands
                      > > free and hardly notice its there.
                      > >
                      > > It's just a piece of equipment like a very good fisheye lens; it
                      all
                      > > depends on how much use you will get out of it. After looking all
                      > > over I just couldn't find any others poles that met my needs. At
                      > > first I thought it was expensive, but as much as I use it and the
                      > > things that I can do with it, I don't feel that way anymore.
                      > >
                      > > Roger Berry
                      > >

                      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "verifone411" <kieranmullen@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Do you use a shaved 10.5 to allow for a larger sensor?
                      > > >
                      > > > Why are ktech poles so much more expensive
                      > > > http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html than
                      > > > http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm
                      > > >
                      > > > I currently have a 7ft Bogen monopod. Taller is always better.
                      I am
                      > > > 6ft 5in tall.
                      > > >
                      > > > KM

                    • Brian
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
                        I got one of these Manfrotto levellers for my pole setup and its much
                        smaller and tidier than the Kaidan one and a fraction of the price. The
                        bubble is quite small but it's attached to the pole at shoulder height so is
                        no problem read.

                        http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/MN032SPL/

                        Brian.

                        _____

                        The only place I was able to find a buble level for a tripod was
                        kaidan
                        http://www.kaidan. <http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=108>
                        com/Detail.bok?no=108

                        Here is the other pole:-)
                        http://indiavrtours <http://indiavrtours.com/about_us.html>
                        .com/about_us.html

                        wrote:

                        > > Yes my Nikkor 10.5mm lens is shaved.
                        > >
                        > > A few reasons why the K-Tek poles are more expensive are, its
                        carbon
                        > > fiber and they are the only ones that make a style like this.
                        It's
                        > > very strong, light, and fast to setup.
                        > > Take a look at prices on some of the nice carbon fiber tripods
                        and
                        > > monopods like this one.
                        > > Gitzo G1568 Series 2 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod: $237.00
                        > >
                        > > Some people lug around a $600 or $700 carbon fiber tripod like
                        the
                        > > one that I have, but I get far more use out of this pole and it's
                        far
                        > > easier walking around with than a big tripod. It also make a good
                        > > walking stick and I can even slid it under my belt to have my
                        hands
                        > > free and hardly notice its there.
                        > >
                        > > It's just a piece of equipment like a very good fisheye lens; it
                        all
                        > > depends on how much use you will get out of it. After looking all
                        > > over I just couldn't find any others poles that met my needs. At
                        > > first I thought it was expensive, but as much as I use it and the
                        > > things that I can do with it, I don't feel that way anymore.
                        > >
                        > > Roger Berry
                        > >

                        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@ <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
                        yahoogroups.com, "verifone411" <kieranmullen@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Do you use a shaved 10.5 to allow for a larger sensor?
                        > > >
                        > > > Why are ktech poles so much more expensive
                        > > > http://www.mklemme. <http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html>
                        com/pole/k102.html than
                        > > > http://www.studio1p <http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm>
                        roductions.com/skypod.htm

                        > > > I currently have a 7ft Bogen monopod. Taller is always better.
                        I am
                        > > > 6ft 5in tall.
                        > > >
                        > > > KM

                      • Andrew G
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
                          Roger,

                          You've gone an got me interested in pole panoramas now. Just as my
                          wife thought I was content with my camera gear ;-)

                          K-Tek poles are out of my price range but the Gitzo G1568 Series 2
                          Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod you mentioned looks interesting and on
                          the go at $230. I guess I need an all rounder. Height of 63 inches
                          seems ok for the high up shots and after lugging all my camera gear
                          around New York City for 3 days, the thought of using a pole instead
                          of a tripod & NN3, it sounds like a lot less weight. Not to mention
                          getting over keen security off my back. First two words they are
                          taught during training must be "No tripods".

                          I have the D80 & 10.5mm (not shaved). Could mean problems with the up
                          and down views?

                          Look forward to your advice,

                          Andrew

                          wrote:

                          > Yes my Nikkor 10.5mm lens is shaved.
                          >
                          > A few reasons why the K-Tek poles are more expensive are, its
                          carbon
                          > fiber and they are the only ones that make a style like this. It's
                          > very strong, light, and fast to setup.
                          > Take a look at prices on some of the nice carbon fiber tripods and
                          > monopods like this one.
                          > Gitzo G1568 Series 2 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod: $237.00
                          >
                          > Some people lug around a $600 or $700 carbon fiber tripod like the
                          > one that I have, but I get far more use out of this pole and it's
                          far
                          > easier walking around with than a big tripod. It also make a good
                          > walking stick and I can even slid it under my belt to have my hands
                          > free and hardly notice its there.
                          >
                          > It's just a piece of equipment like a very good fisheye lens; it
                          all
                          > depends on how much use you will get out of it. After looking all
                          > over I just couldn't find any others poles that met my needs. At
                          > first I thought it was expensive, but as much as I use it and the
                          > things that I can do with it, I don't feel that way anymore.
                          >
                          > Roger Berry
                          >

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "verifone411" <kieranmullen@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Do you use a shaved 10.5 to allow for a larger sensor?
                          > >
                          > > Why are ktech poles so much more expensive
                          > > http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html than
                          > > http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm
                          > >
                          > > I currently have a 7ft Bogen monopod. Taller is always better. I
                          am
                          > > 6ft 5in tall.
                          > >
                          > > KM

                        • Ricardo Araujo
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
                            I own a Cavision SCPN635F carbon fiber pole and I'm very satisfied.

                            You can see other models at:
                            <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=sort&A=search&Q=&sortDrop=Price%3A+Low+to+High&bl=&atl=Brand_Cavision&pn=1&st=search&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&sv=pole&shs=pole&ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=8659&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=>

                            acessar o site <http://www.tourvirtualbrasil.com.br>

                            Andrew G escreveu:

                            > Roger,
                            >
                            > You've gone an got me interested in pole panoramas now. Just as my
                            > wife thought I was content with my camera gear ;-)
                            >
                            > K-Tek poles are out of my price range but the Gitzo G1568 Series 2
                            > Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod you mentioned looks interesting and on
                            > the go at $230. I guess I need an all rounder. Height of 63 inches
                            > seems ok for the high up shots and after lugging all my camera gear
                            > around New York City for 3 days, the thought of using a pole instead
                            > of a tripod & NN3, it sounds like a lot less weight. Not to mention
                            > getting over keen security off my back. First two words they are
                            > taught during training must be "No tripods".
                            >
                            > I have the D80 & 10.5mm (not shaved). Could mean problems with the up
                            > and down views?
                            >
                            > Look forward to your advice,
                            >
                            > Andrew
                            >
                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Yes my Nikkor 10.5mm lens is shaved.
                            > >
                            > > A few reasons why the K-Tek poles are more expensive are, its
                            > carbon
                            > > fiber and they are the only ones that make a style like this. It's
                            > > very strong, light, and fast to setup.
                            > > Take a look at prices on some of the nice carbon fiber tripods and
                            > > monopods like this one.
                            > > Gitzo G1568 Series 2 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Monopod: $237.00
                            > >
                            > > Some people lug around a $600 or $700 carbon fiber tripod like the
                            > > one that I have, but I get far more use out of this pole and it's
                            > far
                            > > easier walking around with than a big tripod. It also make a good
                            > > walking stick and I can even slid it under my belt to have my hands
                            > > free and hardly notice its there.
                            > >
                            > > It's just a piece of equipment like a very good fisheye lens; it
                            > all
                            > > depends on how much use you will get out of it. After looking all
                            > > over I just couldn't find any others poles that met my needs. At
                            > > first I thought it was expensive, but as much as I use it and the
                            > > things that I can do with it, I don't feel that way anymore.
                            > >
                            > > Roger Berry
                            > >

                            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "verifone411" <kieranmullen@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Do you use a shaved 10.5 to allow for a larger sensor?
                            > > >
                            > > > Why are ktech poles so much more expensive
                            > > > http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html
                            > <http://www.mklemme.com/pole/k102.html> than
                            > > > http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm
                            > <http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm>
                            > > >
                            > > > I currently have a 7ft Bogen monopod. Taller is always better. I
                            > am
                            > > > 6ft 5in tall.
                            > > >
                            > > > KM

                          • bohonus
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                              > Yes, that tourist sometimes gets in my photos like in this one below.
                              > http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/amer_elephants4.html
                              >
                              > The problem is to remove him would not be easy with the people behind
                              > him, so sometimes I have to do the next best thing.

                              Have you tried turning around staying behind the camera's view as you turn the pole so you
                              would not end up being in the shot?
                            • Roger Berry
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 31, 2008
                                Yes I have moved around staying behind the pole, but that makes it
                                go from about 4 seconds for 4 shots to 20 seconds. As you move
                                around you have to realign and re-stabilize the pole.
                                When I use the pole lower, say around 3 to 6 feet I will usually
                                move around behind the pole or kneel down to keep the camera higher
                                above me.
                                I own 2 pole levels and don't use them, takes too long looking at
                                one for each shot. I just stand in one place, let the pole balance
                                itself, and turn it fast for the shots.
                                By standing in one place holding the pole with one hand and turning
                                it with the other you can keep if very staidly and centered.
                                Most times it only takes a few minutes to remove myself from the
                                photo with PhotoShop but sometimes I'm not looking behind my back to
                                see if I may be blocking anything, and the higher the pole the less
                                the problem because of the angle.

                                Roger Berry

                              • greggnixon@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 1 6:33 AM
                                  >Another Pole Shot
                                  >Posted by: "Roger Berry" onezebra1@... onezebra1
                                  >Date: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:11 pm ((PST))

                                  > By standing in one place holding the pole with one hand and turning
                                  > it with the other you can keep if very staidly and centered.

                                  How then are you releasing the shutter ?

                                  Gregg.
                                • bohonus
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 1 8:46 AM
                                    I can't speak for the others, but in my case, I use my camera's built-in intervalometer.

                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, <greggnixon@...> wrote:

                                    > >Another Pole Shot
                                    > >Posted by: "Roger Berry" onezebra1@... onezebra1
                                    > >Date: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:11 pm ((PST))
                                    >
                                    > > By standing in one place holding the pole with one hand and turning
                                    > > it with the other you can keep if very staidly and centered.
                                    >

                                    > How then are you releasing the shutter ?
                                    >

                                    > Gregg.

                                  • Roger Berry
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 1 12:50 PM
                                      With a small wireless remote and I also have a Canon wire cable remote
                                      for backup.
                                      Wireless Remote for Canon 20D 30D 40D 5D RS-80N3=155

                                      Roger Berry

                                      > How then are you releasing the shutter ?
                                      >

                                      > Gregg.

                                    • Roger Berry
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 2, 2008
                                        This one is only about 3 feet high, but it was also around 7 feet out
                                        horizontally. Hopefully this will give you the feeling of sitting next
                                        to the elephant owner as he makes food up for his elephant.
                                        http://indiavrtours.com/jaipur/elephant_feed4.html

                                        Canon 5D, Nikor 10.5mm lens, home made pano head, 17 foot pole.
                                      • Dave 360texas.com
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 2, 2008
                                          Roger, Thank you for showing us your work. We can relate to your
                                          imaging because we visited India and Kashmire while on holiday several
                                          years ago.

                                          When you have more time.. please show us more.

                                          Dave and Pat still at 360Texas.com

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 3, 2008
                                            Hi Dave,
                                            this one opens up behind the elephant house, click on the hotspot (red dot) and you can travel through the elephant house and to another one on the other side. You can go up to the old fort wall for a good overview of the town, and off to the right see a mother and baby elephant. Most of the panos with hotspot thumbnail images are older and you need to open up the hotspots for them to show.
                                            http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/elephants_street4.html

                                            The older panos where shot with a Canon 20D and Sigma 8mm f/3.5 lens.
                                            I will also be working on adding some new audio to the panos.

                                            Roger Berry