PTGUI Templates and What numbers are good?

  • verifone411
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2008
      A few threads back I had mentioned to someone I was using templates.
      However I am using it in the apply template fashion. This still
      requires me to open ptgui, create a new project, and apply my
      template. I am looking for a way to do NOT have to open the main
      application. Now I have been using 1 of 2 templates I have created.

      1st has 7 images (6 h 1 vert at 90 degress)
      Avg .43 Min .02 Max 1.15

      2nd has 13 images (2 rows of 6 1 vert + 1 15 degress)
      Avg .53 Min .04 Max 1.05
      ------
      ptgui.com says nothing about what numbers are average to most folks,
      what one should aim for etc.

      ptgui.com mentions templates in the "apply template" fashion but that
      is it. A long time ago I recall something to the effect that you
      could use the templates without having to open the main application
      after you make your template and you have to adjust your save file
      settings. Where is this now? I have looked for it in tutorials,
      links and support.

      The support file says nothing about resolution. I have been stitching
      using 5-7 image bracketed jpgs and stitching to max resolution 100%
      compressed jpgs. From there I reduce the image about 50% to create the
      quicktime/jpg output at 300 dpi. However for best white balance I had
      been thinking about shooting raw and bracketing 3 images (since raws
      take up so much space) I do carry 2 4 GB cards with me. Once I start
      stitching using raws converted to tiffs, I will be using photoshop
      layered output from the max resolution. Should I also adjust the dpi
      setting?

      The help file or the website doesn't cover using panotools.

      What advantage is there to using panotools for warping?

      I have read some recent posts on using Enblend plugin rather than
      using the built in plugin?

      Thank you all for your time.

      KM
    • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
        Hi Kieran,

        verifone411 wrote:
        > A few threads back I had mentioned to someone I was using templates.
        > However I am using it in the apply template fashion. This still
        > requires me to open ptgui, create a new project, and apply my
        > template. I am looking for a way to do NOT have to open the main
        > application. Now I have been using 1 of 2 templates I have created.
        >
        > 1st has 7 images (6 h 1 vert at 90 degress)
        > Avg .43 Min .02 Max 1.15
        >
        > 2nd has 13 images (2 rows of 6 1 vert + 1 15 degress)
        > Avg .53 Min .04 Max 1.05
        > ------
        > ptgui.com says nothing about what numbers are average to most folks,
        > what one should aim for etc.

        I've added a note to the FAQ, see 2.26:
        http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_26

        I'd say your results are quite perfect.

        > ptgui.com mentions templates in the "apply template" fashion but that
        > is it. A long time ago I recall something to the effect that you
        > could use the templates without having to open the main application
        > after you make your template and you have to adjust your save file
        > settings. Where is this now? I have looked for it in tutorials,
        > links and support.

        This is not possible currently. You would need to start a new PTGui
        project, load the images, apply your template, and send the project to
        the batch stitcher. Better batching support is planned.

        > The support file says nothing about resolution. I have been stitching
        > using 5-7 image bracketed jpgs and stitching to max resolution 100%
        > compressed jpgs. From there I reduce the image about 50% to create the
        > quicktime/jpg output at 300 dpi. However for best white balance I had
        > been thinking about shooting raw and bracketing 3 images (since raws
        > take up so much space) I do carry 2 4 GB cards with me. Once I start
        > stitching using raws converted to tiffs, I will be using photoshop
        > layered output from the max resolution. Should I also adjust the dpi
        > setting?

        From the help file (press F1 in the Create Panorama tab):

        "Output resolution: this field controls the resolution value that is
        inserted in the header of the output files. The resolution value is an
        indicative value suggesting the number of pixels to be printed in one
        inch. It does not change the actual size or level of detail in the
        resulting image, but it can be useful in workflows where the physical
        dimensions of the resulting printed image need to be controlled."

        And see 5.3 in the faq:
        http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#5_3

        > The help file or the website doesn't cover using panotools.
        >
        > What advantage is there to using panotools for warping?
        >
        > I have read some recent posts on using Enblend plugin rather than
        > using the built in plugin?

        Keep in mind that PTGui originally started as a front end for Panorama
        Tools and other tools such as Enblend and Autopano. Over the past few
        years, most of this functionality has been implemented natively but
        support for the plugins has been kept too. I think there's not much
        advantage in using the plugins instead of the PTGui tools, but I may be
        the right person to answer this.

        Joost
      • verifone411
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
          Ok Then I guess I was mistaken. I thought I saw something on the help
          section about using batch but you have to change the default save
          location. If batch requires opening and loading the program up, then
          there really should be a pause button on the batch program so a user
          can queue up the stitching. Since loading and stitching at the same
          time is quite slow.

          I am not sure about the license process but I preview and make and
          changes to a pts file of a particular stitch one one computer, then
          send it over the network and start batch. Is this ok? i wouldnt do it
          if there was a pause button. Then I could get it all done on one machine.

          When do you forsee raw images being handled? Soon never etc? One extra
          step out of the way. Does nikon/canon make code available through an SDK?

          I think I had mentioned this as well before but I got weird looks. :-)

          If PTGUI detected bracketed shots, then the user should be able to
          designate one of the bracketed shots as the master shot. Either by the
          order it is loaded or EV ? That way control points for the rest of
          the shots within the bracketed set need not be generated. It is just
          blended. One could argue what about movement shift etc. Fine use the
          old way as well.

          Regarding templates & batching: If a control point is basically
          telling the computer that 2 x and y coordinates meet up with each
          other. Why couldn't that be applied to the next batch without even
          opening ptgui? Sorry if this is a stupid question after all I am a
          ptgui newbie, but it really doesn't make sense why one should have to
          open ptgui again if one could just tell ptgui that the next batch
          have the same xy coordinates. I am really picky about the way I take
          shots and I take them in order. Clockwise starting at the same point
          along with the tripod and end with the zendith and nadir.

          > I'd say your results are quite perfect.

          Thank you. I guess I can take the colored papers off of the bathroom
          ceiling now that are all over the place. I was trying to make the job
          of ptgui as easy as possible since it has a hard time sometimes
          finding control points on white walls. However if that is good I will
          just stitch to taking good bracketed photos now.

          km

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joost Nieuwenhuijse <imim@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > inch. It does not change the actual size or level of detail in the
          > resulting image, but it can be useful in workflows where the physical
          > dimensions of the resulting printed image need to be controlled."
          >
          > And see 5.3 in the faq:
          > http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#5_3
          >
          > > The help file or the website doesn't cover using panotools.
          > >
          > > What advantage is there to using panotools for warping?
          > >
          > > I have read some recent posts on using Enblend plugin rather than
          > > using the built in plugin?
          >
          > Keep in mind that PTGui originally started as a front end for Panorama
          > Tools and other tools such as Enblend and Autopano. Over the past few
          > years, most of this functionality has been implemented natively but
          > support for the plugins has been kept too. I think there's not much
          > advantage in using the plugins instead of the PTGui tools, but I may be

        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
            Maybe you are remembering this method: (1) Make a good template and
            have a repeatable head, (2) save a template file with generic file
            names (image0, image1, etc) and do NOT use absolute paths, (3) Sort
            your images into folders (if on a Mac, there is an applescript for
            this) and name them to the generic file names (NameThoseFiles! is
            great for this on Mac), (4) Drop a copy of the template file into
            each folder, (5) Open the Batch Stitcher from PTGui, (6) Select the
            projects to load into the Batch Stitcher and let it rip (easy to do
            by putting the name of the template in the search box of the Open
            File dialog on Mac). Since each set of images has the same set of
            names and the paths aren't absolute, you do not need to open each
            project.

            Batching is the one place that PTMac/Kekus has PTGui beaten hands-
            down. PTBatch from Kekus is fantastic for batching!

            John

            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...

            On Jan 29, 2008, at 10:26 PM, verifone411 wrote:

            > Ok Then I guess I was mistaken. I thought I saw something on the help
            > section about using batch but you have to change the default save
            > location. If batch requires opening and loading the program up, then
            > there really should be a pause button on the batch program so a user
            > can queue up the stitching. Since loading and stitching at the same
            > time is quite slow.

          • Joergen Geerds
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 30, 2008
              and, if everything fails with you template, you can
              always edit the .pts file with a text editor. just be
              very very careful :-)

              joergen

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs