[digest] Re: Testing Enfuse in high contrast environs...

  • listmail@mab3d.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2008
      On Jan 28, 2008, at 2:08 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > 7c. Re: Testing Enfuse in high contrast environs...
      > Posted by: "robert_harshman" image360@... robert_harshman
      > Date: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:33 pm ((PST))
      >
      >> http://www.mab3d.com/QTVR/brickworksQTVR.html
      >>
      >> Comments on the quality of the results (and the panoramas) is
      >> appreciated. Enfuse handled the glowing beams of light and overall
      >> wide range quite admirably, IMHO.
      >>
      >> -Mark
      >>

      > Hi Mark, seems this is a very popular photo site in the Toronto area.
      > I've seen shots of this a couple of times before.
      >
      > Anyway, All of the VRs look just a bit flat on my screen, especially
      > the last one. No true blacks to be found. One of the long time issue
      > I've found with tone mappers, and any type of blender is the
      > propensity to flatten the dynamic range too much. True blacks add a
      > real punch to images. I think your examples could use just a bit more
      > punch to make them more dramatic. Contrast can be a good thing.

      I agree, Robert. One of the drawbacks to any new technology is the
      irresistible urge to overuse it! Considering the shifting light,
      clouds of ash and dust in the air, and how my eyes had adjusted, I
      really couldn't say what the "mood" was in there. After talking with
      some of the other photographers there that day and seeing how they
      processed their shots, I've gone back and particularly upped the
      contrast and warmth of the electrical room shot. I might hit the
      others as well, but mainly for an overall darkening as opposed to
      contrast.

      While wandering about on a -12 C afternoon, we ran into 10 other
      photographers in the caverns, so to say it's "popular" is an
      understatement... Nikon should put up a billboard inside!

      -Mark