Sigma 8mm f/3.5 on Pentax Mount - Availability date?

  • Vincent Ogloblinsky
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
      Hi all,

      I need some information about the availability date of the sigma 8mm
      f/3.5 in Pentax Mount.

      On the french Sigma website, it is available in Pentax mount:

      http://www.sigma-photo.fr/site/boutique/FicheProduit.aspx?idGenerique=00\
      00004&idTypeProduit=0000014
      <http://www.sigma-photo.fr/site/boutique/FicheProduit.aspx?idGenerique=0\
      000004&idTypeProduit=0000014>

      but when my local photo shop has called Sigma France, they said it isn't
      available on Pentax mount.

      On the Japanese Sigma website, it is available in Pentax mount, but the
      date is not determined yet.

      http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/wide/8_35.htm
      <http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/wide/8_35.htm>

      In the US site, it is available in Pentax mount, and on the UK site, not
      available.

      So can someone give me more information about this availability date,
      instead i will switch to Canon or Nikon.

      Thanks by advance

    • Vincent Ogloblinsky
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
        Really, nobody can help me for this availability date?

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Ogloblinsky"

        \
        > 00004&idTypeProduit=0000014

        <http://www.sigma-photo.fr/site/boutique/FicheProduit.aspx?idGenerique=0\
        \
        > 000004&idTypeProduit=0000014>
        >
        > but when my local photo shop has called Sigma France, they said it
        isn't
        > available on Pentax mount.
        >
        > On the Japanese Sigma website, it is available in Pentax mount, but
        the
        > date is not determined yet.
        >
        > http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/wide/8_35.htm
        > <http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/wide/8_35.htm>
        >
        > In the US site, it is available in Pentax mount, and on the UK site,
        not
        > available.
        >
        > So can someone give me more information about this availability date,
        > instead i will switch to Canon or Nikon.
        >
        > Thanks by advance

      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 28, 2008
          On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:19:18 +0900, Vincent Ogloblinsky
          <globule22@...> wrote:

          > Really, nobody can help me for this availability date?

          Vincent, they are still not available here in Japan.

          Sorry not to be any help.

          Roger

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Ogloblinsky"
          > <globule22@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi all,
          >>
          >> I need some information about the availability date of the sigma 8mm
          >> f/3.5 in Pentax Mount.
          >>
          >> On the french Sigma website, it is available in Pentax mount:
          >>

          > http://www.sigma-photo.fr/site/boutique/FicheProduit.aspx?idGenerique=00\
          > \
          >> 00004&idTypeProduit=0000014
          >>
          > <http://www.sigma-photo.fr/site/boutique/FicheProduit.aspx?idGenerique=0\
          > \
          >> 000004&idTypeProduit=0000014>
          >>
          >> but when my local photo shop has called Sigma France, they said it
          > isn't
          >> available on Pentax mount.
          >>
          >> On the Japanese Sigma website, it is available in Pentax mount, but
          > the
          >> date is not determined yet.
          >>
          >> http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/wide/8_35.htm
          >> <http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/wide/8_35.htm>
          >>
          >> In the US site, it is available in Pentax mount, and on the UK site,
          > not
          >> available.
          >>
          >> So can someone give me more information about this availability date,
          >> instead i will switch to Canon or Nikon.
          >>
          >> Thanks by advance

          Work: www.adex-japan.com
          Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
        • ptgroup
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008
            Sorry - can´t find it here in Germany.
            Ciao
            Mike

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            21:32

          • Vincent Ogloblinsky
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008
              Thanks for your answers, i will start studying switch to Nikon or Canon
              camera.

              Vincent

              > Sorry - can´t find it here in Germany.
              > Ciao
              > Mike

              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              28.01.2008
              > 21:32

            • ptgroup
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008
                Vincent, did you look in the US ???
                Streetprices.com, pricegrabber.com - only 2 I know.
                Or can you adapt it ???
                Manual use is very easy - I only use manual mode. So this wouldn´t borther.
                Ciao
                Mike

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                21:32

              • Vincent Ogloblinsky
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008
                  Mike, i only found on Streetprices.com lens available for Nikon, Canon
                  or Sigma camera.

                  The 4.0 version seems to be available in Pentax mount from a Japonese
                  exporter in France, so i will investigate on this solution.
                  I notice that there are problems on flare and chromatic aberrations for
                  this lens, but i am really frustrated now taking 4 shots + zénith +
                  nadir handhelded with my 10-17mm.

                  Thanks for your help.

                  Vincent

                  > Vincent, did you look in the US ???
                  > Streetprices.com, pricegrabber.com - only 2 I know.
                  > Or can you adapt it ???
                  > Manual use is very easy - I only use manual mode. So this wouldn´t
                  borther.
                  > Ciao
                  > Mike

                  > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  28.01.2008
                  > 21:32

                • ptgroup
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008
                    Vincent, I looked in Germany with all the
                    pricegrabber I have (6) - NO Pentax mount.
                    Mostly spread Canon & Nikon.
                    Didn´t find a Pentax - Canon adaptor - but this one should be available.
                    Found Pentax adaptors for a Canon though.
                    The "Fotocummunity" answers also : NO not available.
                    Guess you´re about to change system :-(
                    Good luck.
                    Ciao
                    Mike

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    21:32

                  • Jaume Llorens
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                      Vincent, neither in Spain. The oficial distributor says: by now, only
                      Nikon and Canon.
                      When the Pentax version? They don't know..
                      Jaume
                    • emsch403
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                        Same situation in Germany. The Sigma-distributor tells me, that there
                        are none in stock and they can´t tell me an estimated delivery date.

                        Regards, Martin

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jaume Llorens <jaumellorens@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Vincent, neither in Spain. The oficial distributor says: by now, only
                        > Nikon and Canon.
                        > When the Pentax version? They don't know..
                        > Jaume

                      • Vincent Ogloblinsky
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 31, 2008
                          Thanks all for confirming the non-availability of this lens in Pentax
                          mount, finally, i will switch to the f/4.0 version.

                          Vincent

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "emsch403" <martin@...> wrote:

                          > Same situation in Germany. The Sigma-distributor tells me, that there
                          > are none in stock and they can´t tell me an estimated delivery
                          date.

                          > Regards, Martin
                          >
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jaume Llorens jaumellorens@
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Vincent, neither in Spain. The oficial distributor says: by now,
                          only
                          > > Nikon and Canon.
                          > > When the Pentax version? They don't know..
                          > > Jaume

                        • ptgroup
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 31, 2008
                            Vincent:
                            I used the F4 - not much of a difference to the F3.5 though.
                            Play with the focus !!!!
                            There is a lot more sharpness whe setting focus right.

                            Ciao
                            Mike

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            20:51

                          • Vincent Ogloblinsky
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 14, 2008
                              Hi roger,

                              If you read this message, can you tell me if the f/4.0 version of the
                              8mm Sigma is available in Japan on Pentax mount. I have found a french
                              importer who can import one from Japan, but i want to be sure before
                              taking an order.

                              Thanks by advance

                              Vincent

                              <globule22@...> wrote:

                              > Hi all,
                              >
                              > I need some information about the availability date of the sigma 8mm
                              > f/3.5 in Pentax Mount.
                              >
                              > On the french Sigma website, it is available in Pentax mount:

                              http://www.sigma-photo.fr/site/boutique/FicheProduit.aspx?idGenerique=00\
                              \
                              > 00004&idTypeProduit=0000014

                              <http://www.sigma-photo.fr/site/boutique/FicheProduit.aspx?idGenerique=0\
                              \
                              > 000004&idTypeProduit=0000014>
                              >
                              > but when my local photo shop has called Sigma France, they said it
                              isn't
                              > available on Pentax mount.
                              >
                              > On the Japanese Sigma website, it is available in Pentax mount, but
                              the
                              > date is not determined yet.
                              >
                              > http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/wide/8_35.htm
                              > <http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/wide/8_35.htm>
                              >
                              > In the US site, it is available in Pentax mount, and on the UK site,
                              not
                              > available.
                              >
                              > So can someone give me more information about this availability date,
                              > instead i will switch to Canon or Nikon.
                              >
                              > Thanks by advance

                            • Roger D. Williams
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 14, 2008
                                On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:57:48 +0900, Vincent Ogloblinsky
                                <globule22@...> wrote:

                                > Hi roger,
                                >
                                > If you read this message, can you tell me if the f/4.0 version of the
                                > 8mm Sigma is available in Japan on Pentax mount. I have found a french
                                > importer who can import one from Japan, but i want to be sure before
                                > taking an order.

                                Vincent,

                                This is the older F/4.0 version, not the more recent F/3.5 version,
                                right? Why would you want to get that, I wonder? The new one is quite
                                significantly better. Perhaps because there WAS a Pentax version of
                                the older fisheye? I used a Peleng 8mm with an M42 to Pentax adaptor
                                on my Pentax DSLR (which unfortunately underwent a complete failure
                                a week or so after I bought it secondhand, and the shop took it back,
                                so I don't have one now). The Peleng worked very well with it.

                                I will not be going anywhere near the big camera discount stores for
                                the next few days, but when I do I will ask. I fear that manufacture
                                of the F/4.0 version has been discontinued, so your importer would have
                                look for someone's unsold old stock. That is hard to do from outside
                                Japan. I should be able to get back to you by the middle of next week,
                                when work will take me into central Tokyo.

                                I will certainly check it all out (and verify whether my assumptions,
                                above, are correct).

                                Roger W.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 15, 2008
                                  Roger,

                                  Thanks by advance for having a look on this information.

                                  Vincent

                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 2, 2008
                                    Hi Roger,

                                    I go back to you to konw if had some time to get the information about
                                    the availabiliy of the 8mm sigma f/4.0 pentax mount in Tokyo.
                                    The importator i found on the web, in priceminister.com, confirm me
                                    yesterday that he can import this lens without problem.

                                    Thanks by avance

                                    Best regards

                                    Vincent

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 2, 2008
                                      Go for it, Vincent. He muse be getting old stock (not second hand but
                                      in stock since the stopped making it).

                                      Roger

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 3, 2008
                                        Thanks Roger for this confirmation,