Earth's magnetic field

  • sphereworks
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2008
      Hi,

      Kinda off topic slightly, but will probably interest most of you. I
      heard on a program the other day about the possiblity of the earth's
      magnetic fields swopping over, I thought they where mucking about.
      Done a quick search and it looks like this is true.

      Here this link I've just been looking at -

      http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/29dec_magneticfield.htm

      This will make life interesting !!

      They talk about the reversal taking a few thousand years, A south
      magnetic pole might emerge over Africa, for instance, or a north pole
      over Tahiti.

      'Tahiti could be a great place to see the Northern Lights'

      hum.......

      Pete
      www.sphereworks.co.uk
    • sphereworks
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2008
        There are some good links at the bottom of that page too......

        Pete
        www.sphereworks.co.uk

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"
        <sphereworkspete@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Kinda off topic slightly, but will probably interest most of you.
        > heard on a program the other day about the possiblity of the
        earth's
        > magnetic fields swopping over, I thought they where mucking about.
        > Done a quick search and it looks like this is true.
        >
        > Here this link I've just been looking at -
        >
        > http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/29dec_magneticfield.htm
        >
        > This will make life interesting !!
        >
        > They talk about the reversal taking a few thousand years, A south
        > magnetic pole might emerge over Africa, for instance, or a north
        pole
        > over Tahiti.
        >
        > 'Tahiti could be a great place to see the Northern Lights'
        >
        > hum.......
        >

        > Pete
        > www.sphereworks.co.uk

      • ptgroup
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2008
          Yes - if you follow the links you never come back - because it´s that
          interesting !
          Ciao
          Mike

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          18:39

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2008
            "They come at irregular intervals averaging about 300,000 years; the last one was 780,000 years ago. Are we overdue for another? No one knows."

            Interestingly, that's just about the time we (humans) speciated into Neandertals.

            When the poles are in the process of reversing, the Earth's magnetic
            field is very weak. I've always wondered about what the extra cosmic
            radiation that reaches the surface of the Earth has on evolution.

            More radiation -> more mutations -> more evolutionary possibilities.

            sphereworks wrote:
            > There are some good links at the bottom of that page too......
            >

            > Pete
            > www.sphereworks.co.uk
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"
            > <sphereworkspete@...> wrote:
            >
            >>Hi,
            >>
            >>Kinda off topic slightly, but will probably interest most of you.

            >>heard on a program the other day about the possiblity of the
            >
            > earth's
            >
            >>magnetic fields swopping over, I thought they where mucking about.
            >>Done a quick search and it looks like this is true.
            >>
            >>Here this link I've just been looking at -
            >>
            >>http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/29dec_magneticfield.htm
            >>
            >>This will make life interesting !!
            >>
            >>They talk about the reversal taking a few thousand years, A south
            >>magnetic pole might emerge over Africa, for instance, or a north
            >
            > pole
            >
            >>over Tahiti.
            >>
            >>'Tahiti could be a great place to see the Northern Lights'
            >>
            >>hum.......
            >>

            >>Pete
            >>www.sphereworks.co.uk

          • Joergen Geerds
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 28, 2008
              i'm sorry, but how is this news? isn't this something
              we all learned in highschool (or your local
              equivalent)? but i appreciate it that you didn't go
              down the "the end of the world is coming because the
              magnetic field is flipping" route.

              joergen

              wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Kinda off topic slightly, but will probably interest
              > most of you. I
              > heard on a program the other day about the
              > possiblity of the earth's
              > magnetic fields swopping over, I thought they where
              > mucking about.
              > Done a quick search and it looks like this is true.
              >
              > Here this link I've just been looking at -

              http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/29dec_magneticfield.htm

              > This will make life interesting !!
              >
              > They talk about the reversal taking a few thousand
              > years, A south
              > magnetic pole might emerge over Africa, for
              > instance, or a north pole
              > over Tahiti.
              >
              > 'Tahiti could be a great place to see the Northern
              > Lights'
              >
              > hum.......
              >

              > Pete
              > www.sphereworks.co.uk

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • sphereworks
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 28, 2008
                Sorry, I thought it was interesting - something I didn't learn in
                highschool. It was news to me.

                I seems that this could happen at any time soon though might be 100's
                of year yet. If it did happen in our lifetime could result in some
                interesting photography and be interesting getting places with a
                cumpass that dosn't work properly.

                Pete
                www.sphereworks.co.uk

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joergen Geerds

                ______________

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 28, 2008
                  On Monday, January 28, 2008 at 18:00, sphereworks wrote:

                  > Sorry, I thought it was interesting - something I didn't learn in
                  > highschool. It was news to me.

                  It is interesting indeed...

                  > I seems that this could happen at any time soon though might be 100's
                  > of year yet. If it did happen in our lifetime could result in some
                  > interesting photography and be interesting getting places with a
                  > cumpass that dosn't work properly.

                  ... but it doesn't relate in any way to panoramas. We can not open
                  this list to anything that is interesting, sorry.

                  So please end this thread.

                  Your moderator