airship panorama

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2006
      http://www.mediavr.com/airship.htm

      Yesterday I went up in a blimp (which has a giant Bladerunner-type
      video screen on one side). It wasnt ideal as a camera platform in some
      ways, as the propeller vibration was quite significant. But the
      unobstructed width of view was excellent. I shot the pano with the
      camera (5D/10.5) on a telescopic pole coming out about a meter at an
      angle upwards from the interior.
      Exposure was 1/200th at f4 at 800ISO I think

      Peter Murphy
      http://www.mediavr.com/blog
    • Juergen Schrader
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 27, 2006
        Needless to say that's absoultely striking.
        Thanks for sharing.

        Say, is hat the camera in the reflection above the intrument panel?
        And may I ask how you control the revolution of the camera while it's
        on the pole outside?

        All the best
        Juergen

        > http://www.mediavr.com/airship.htm
        >
        > Yesterday I went up in a blimp (which has a giant Bladerunner-type
        > video screen on one side). It wasnt ideal as a camera platform in
        some
        > ways, as the propeller vibration was quite significant. But the
        > unobstructed width of view was excellent. I shot the pano with the
        > camera (5D/10.5) on a telescopic pole coming out about a meter at
        an
        > angle upwards from the interior.
        > Exposure was 1/200th at f4 at 800ISO I think
        >
        > Peter Murphy
        > http://www.mediavr.com/blog

      • Aaron Spence
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 27, 2006
          Peter,

          That is a fantastic pano you've done, great job.

          BTW, what is your 'job'. I gather you work in news because of the
          'newsy' events you cover etc? But do you work for any particular news
          company, and are you employed to shoot panos? Just interested as you
          get to do some very cool stuff :)

          Thanks

          Aaron.
        • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 27, 2006
            > http://www.mediavr.com/airship.htm
            >
            > Yesterday I went up in a blimp (which has a giant Bladerunner-type
            > video screen on one side).

            Ooh, you must be proud of that one!
            Great panorama..

            Serge.
          • jeffrey
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 27, 2006
              super!!!

              --

              ---------------------
              www.panopticpictures.com - Immersive Imaging
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 27, 2006
                Peter,

                I am a great admirer of your pole panos. The airship one is stunning. I do these pole panos once in a while with my normal sized monopod. I am already prepared to go up to about 12ft that is the maximum of my D200 remote release cable+ extension. I will fabricate a custom made pole in next days.
                One question how do you make yourself invisible?? The only way for me is, photoshopping by cloning the existing background, which might work when the background is simple enough. Any other idea?? or tricks??

                here some simple recent horizontal pole panos by me:

                http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Aleppo/Citadel3
                http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Damascus/RotanaAtrium/
                http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Nasserieh/URA01082006_3/

                these were taken with D70/D200 monopod manfrotto and Nikkor 8mm for shots only

                Willy from sunny and peaceful Damascus

                On Saturday, August 26, 2006, at 11:52PM, panovrx <mediavr@...> wrote:

                ><<Original Attached>>

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 27, 2006
                  I have added a couple more airship panos --
                  http://www.mediavr.com/airshipground.htm
                  http://www.mediavr.com/airshipinterior.htm

                  the interior one is done with a short monopod held with a Manfrotto
                  clamp pair unit to the railing above -- with the camera rotating
                  horizontally as usual (with a Manfrotto pano head)

                  the original one
                  http://www.mediavr.com/airship.htm
                  was done with a Manfrotto
                  light-stand central unit --- clamped at the base to the airship
                  chassis and clamped to the top of a tripod near the hatch opening

                  so it came out diagonally/upwards through the hatch opening

                  then I had to stand over it leaning out a bit (with a safety harness)
                  rapidly turning the extended column by hand (approx 90 degrees per
                  turn) and pressing it lightly to dampen the vibrations -- firing with
                  a radio release -- the main problem was that the airship was moving -
                  - at about 20mph -- and vibrating as well

                  I was visible in the shot where the camera was pointing up so I had to
                  do an extra one for that where I crouched out of sight -- and then I
                  still had a bit of nadir cloning to do from the pole itself

                  often with regular high pole shots I will move the camera slightly
                  forward of the correct position so it actually sees the nadir at all
                  positions (a variant of the tilted monopod approach) but here I didnt
                  do that because I knew the fine detail on the balloon itself near the
                  camera would need accurate stitching ie
                  no parallax shots.

                  Re "what is my job?" -- no, no one pays me to do photojournalistic
                  style panoramas (generally) unfortunately -- I just like to do them.
                  Mostly workwise I do "virtual heritage" website content and Director
                  kiosks

                  Peter
                  http://www.mediavr.com/blog
                • Juergen Schrader
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 27, 2006
                    Excellent, Peter.
                    And thanks a lot for the information.

                    Cheers
                    Juergen

                    > I have added a couple more airship panos --
                    > http://www.mediavr.com/airshipground.htm
                    > http://www.mediavr.com/airshipinterior.htm
                    >
                    > the interior one is done with a short monopod held with a Manfrotto
                    > clamp pair unit to the railing above -- with the camera rotating
                    > horizontally as usual (with a Manfrotto pano head)
                    >
                    > the original one
                    > http://www.mediavr.com/airship.htm
                    > was done with a Manfrotto
                    > light-stand central unit --- clamped at the base to the airship
                    > chassis and clamped to the top of a tripod near the hatch opening
                    >

                    > so it came out diagonally/upwards through the hatch opening
                    >
                    > then I had to stand over it leaning out a bit (with a safety
                    harness)
                    > rapidly turning the extended column by hand (approx 90 degrees per
                    > turn) and pressing it lightly to dampen the vibrations -- firing
                    with
                    > a radio release -- the main problem was that the airship was
                    moving -
                    > - at about 20mph -- and vibrating as well
                    >
                    > I was visible in the shot where the camera was pointing up so I had
                    > do an extra one for that where I crouched out of sight -- and then
                    > still had a bit of nadir cloning to do from the pole itself
                    >
                    > often with regular high pole shots I will move the camera slightly
                    > forward of the correct position so it actually sees the nadir at all
                    > positions (a variant of the tilted monopod approach) but here I
                    didnt
                    > do that because I knew the fine detail on the balloon itself near
                    the
                    > camera would need accurate stitching ie
                    > no parallax shots.
                    >
                    > Re "what is my job?" -- no, no one pays me to do photojournalistic
                    > style panoramas (generally) unfortunately -- I just like to do
                    them.
                    > Mostly workwise I do "virtual heritage" website content and
                    Director
                    > kiosks
                    >

                    > Peter
                    > http://www.mediavr.com/blog

                  • pau
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 28, 2006
                      fantastic! Congratulations, the light and technique of the first one
                      is impressive!
                      Thanks a lot for sharing your technique!

                      pau valiente
                      www.pau.cc

                      El 28/08/2006, a las 7:43, panovrx escribi├│:

                      > I have added a couple more airship panos --
                      > http://www.mediavr.com/airshipground.htm
                      > http://www.mediavr.com/airshipinterior.htm
                      >
                      > the interior one is done with a short monopod held with a Manfrotto
                      > clamp pair unit to the railing above -- with the camera rotating
                      > horizontally as usual (with a Manfrotto pano head)
                      >
                      > the original one
                      > http://www.mediavr.com/airship.htm
                      > was done with a Manfrotto
                      > light-stand central unit --- clamped at the base to the airship
                      > chassis and clamped to the top of a tripod near the hatch opening

                    • Roger D. Williams
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 29, 2006
                        Splendid series. You are a master panographer!

                        Roger

                        On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:43:24 +0900, panovrx
                        <mediavr@...> wrote:

                        > I have added a couple more airship panos --
                        > http://www.mediavr.com/airshipground.htm
                        > http://www.mediavr.com/airshipinterior.htm
                        >
                        > the interior one is done with a short monopod held with a Manfrotto
                        > clamp pair unit to the railing above -- with the camera rotating
                        > horizontally as usual (with a Manfrotto pano head)
                        >
                        > the original one
                        > http://www.mediavr.com/airship.htm
                        > was done with a Manfrotto
                        > light-stand central unit --- clamped at the base to the airship
                        > chassis and clamped to the top of a tripod near the hatch opening

                        --
                        Work: www.adex-japan.com, Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                      • Willy Kaemena
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 1, 2006
                          Yes you have to rearrange the cube sides accordingly in order to have
                          the "right" viewing position
                          Willy

                          Willy Kaemena
                          wkaemena@...