Here's something interesting -- multiple images that are slightly misaligned can be combined into a higher resolution image...

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
      Like the subject says. I wonder if Enfuse could do that?

      http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9856721-39.html?tag=nefd.lede
    • paul womack
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
        Ken Warner wrote:
        > Like the subject says. I wonder if Enfuse could do that?
        >
        > http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9856721-39.html?tag=nefd.lede

        "Drizzling"

        Drizzle: A Method for the Linear Reconstruction of Undersampled Images
        The algorithm, known as Variable-Pixel Linear Reconstruction (or informally as ``drizzling"),

        http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/technical.htm#Drizzle

        http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/338393

        BugBear
      • johncharlesriley
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
          A quote from the article:

          "A burst of five or six images--"it's better if your camera moves a bit"--can be combined
          into a single still image with four times the resolution, Varah said."

          Well, I guess that means I should use my old panohead instead of my 360Precision 8-)

          John

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

          > Ken Warner wrote:
          > > Like the subject says. I wonder if Enfuse could do that?
          > >
          > > http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9856721-39.html?tag=nefd.lede
          >
          > "Drizzling"
          >
          > Drizzle: A Method for the Linear Reconstruction of Undersampled Images
          > The algorithm, known as Variable-Pixel Linear Reconstruction (or informally as
          ``drizzling"),

          > http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/technical.htm#Drizzle
          >
          > http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/338393
          >
          > BugBear

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
            Thanks -- good references.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
              On Friday, January 25, 2008 at 9:19, Ken Warner wrote:

              > Like the subject says. I wonder if Enfuse could do that?

              Enfuse can do magic, but I think it can't do this ;-)

              > http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9856721-39.html?tag=nefd.lede

              Pixel subsampling. You can use it not only for higher resolution but
              for higher dynamic range as well. Spheron does this to capture up to
              26 f-stops of dynamic range in their spherocam HDR...

              best regards
            • pedro_silva58
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
                greetings!
                this doesn't seem too different from photoacute
                (http://photoacute.com/), but maybe it's just me...
                cheers,
                pedro

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner@...> wrote:

                > Like the subject says. I wonder if Enfuse could do that?
                >
                > http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9856721-39.html?tag=nefd.lede

              • Yuval Levy
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
                  Erik Krause wrote:
                  > Enfuse can do magic, but I think it can't do this ;-)

                  too early to say. rocket scientist still in the lab, testing.

                  Yuv
                • Rodolpho Pajuaba
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
                    From what I read, it´s a "poor man´s micro scanning" ;-) . A different
                    way to do what some digital backs do to increase resolution of a shot:
                    shoot, shift 1 pixel to the side, shoot, shift one pixel up, shoot, move
                    1 pixel to the opposite side, shoot. I hope it works!
                    Regards,
                    Rodolpho Pajuaba

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
                      On Friday, January 25, 2008 at 16:30, Yuval Levy wrote:

                      > > Enfuse can do magic, but I think it can't do this ;-)
                      >
                      > too early to say. rocket scientist still in the lab, testing.

                      IC ;-)

                      But I hope deghosting will be first to implement. Especially since
                      the technique of pixel subsampling (or "drizzling") seems to be
                      nothing new (according to other posters)...

                      best regards

                    • Yuval Levy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
                        Erik Krause wrote:
                        > On Friday, January 25, 2008 at 16:30, Yuval Levy wrote:
                        >
                        >>> Enfuse can do magic, but I think it can't do this ;-)
                        >> too early to say. rocket scientist still in the lab, testing.
                        >
                        > IC ;-)

                        nothing really to implement at this point, just testing the existing
                        tool. or, for insiders, taking it into the oven ;-)

                        > But I hope deghosting will be first to implement.

                        I swear I saw deghosting!

                        hugin_hdrmerge version 0.7.0.2698

                        Usage: hugin_hdrmerge [options] -o output.exe <input-files>
                        Valid options are:
                        -o prefix output file
                        -m mode merge mode, can be one of: avg, avg_slow, kahn (default), ...

                        KAHN, DEFAULT. that's it!

                        should test if it work.

                        Yuv
                      • Ken Warner
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
                          It works. This is the reason why we don't see pixels with our
                          own human visual system. We integrate what we see continuously.
                          That's why our eyeballs make those little twitchy movements.

                          Rodolpho Pajuaba wrote:
                          > From what I read, it´s a "poor man´s micro scanning" ;-) . A different
                          > way to do what some digital backs do to increase resolution of a shot:
                          > shoot, shift 1 pixel to the side, shoot, shift one pixel up, shoot, move
                          > 1 pixel to the opposite side, shoot. I hope it works!
                          > Regards,
                          > Rodolpho Pajuaba
                          >
                          > johncharlesriley escreveu:
                          >
                          >>A quote from the article:
                          >>
                          >>"A burst of five or six images--"it's better if your camera moves a bit"--can be combined
                          >>into a single still image with four times the resolution, Varah said."
                          >>
                          >>Well, I guess that means I should use my old panohead instead of my 360Precision 8-)
                          >>
                          >>John

                        • Bruno Postle
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 26, 2008
                            On Fri 25-Jan-2008 at 17:20 -0500, Yuval Levy wrote:

                            >> But I hope deghosting will be first to implement.
                            >
                            >I swear I saw deghosting!

                            >Usage: hugin_hdrmerge [options] -o output.exe <input-files>
                            >Valid options are:
                            > -o prefix output file
                            > -m mode merge mode, can be one of: avg, avg_slow, kahn (default), ...

                            The Summer of Code deghosting works for assembling HDR images with
                            hugin_hdrmerge (and align_image_stack I think), but it hasn't been
                            split out in a way that can be used with enfuse.

                            You could potentially create a deghosted HDR image, extract
                            bracketed LDR images and then run enfuse on these.

                            --
                            Bruno