PTGui control point generation (avoiding tripod with fisheye)

  • chinkachink
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
      I am trying to speed up my workflow and one of my bottlenecks is the
      auto control point generation.

      I am using a sigma 8mm fisheye lens.

      The control point generation often works very well but occasionally it
      picks up the tripod at the bottom of the picture and sets many points
      common across all of the images which then need to be manually deleted
      (slow!!).

      Does anyone know if and how you can tell the control point generator
      to avoid the area at the bottom of the frame?

      Thanks

      Andrew
    • Roger Howard
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
        On Aug 26, 2006, at 5:42 AM, chinkachink wrote:

        > I am trying to speed up my workflow and one of my bottlenecks is the
        > auto control point generation.
        >
        > I am using a sigma 8mm fisheye lens.
        >
        > The control point generation often works very well but occasionally it
        > picks up the tripod at the bottom of the picture and sets many points
        > common across all of the images which then need to be manually deleted
        > (slow!!).
        >
        > Does anyone know if and how you can tell the control point generator
        > to avoid the area at the bottom of the frame?

        Create an action in Photoshop to apply an alpha mask where the tripod
        footprint is in your shots... that should effectively remove that
        image data from consideration in stitching.

        =-R
      • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27, 2006
          > Create an action in Photoshop to apply an alpha mask where the tripod
          > footprint is in your shots... that should effectively remove that
          > image data from consideration in stitching.

          My experience is that control point generators don't like or simply ignore
          alpha masks, alas..

          Serge.
        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27, 2006
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Serge Maandag (yahoo)" <yahoo@...>
            wrote:

            > My experience is that control point generators don't like or simply
            > ignore alpha masks, alas..

            Serge, Unlike Autopano, the PTGui CP generator does generally avoid
            placing points in the areas masked out by the alpha channel. Have you
            had any particular problems using the PTGui generator?

            John
          • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 28, 2006
              > Serge, Unlike Autopano, the PTGui CP generator does generally avoid
              > placing points in the areas masked out by the alpha channel. Have you
              > had any particular problems using the PTGui generator?

              Ah,

              the problem I had was that the CP generator didn't find any control points
              when I added a mask. It may have had something to do with the size of the
              mask or it may have been a beta. I've used 6 consecutive beta's of PTGui
              lately :)

              thx,
              Serge.