Re: [PanoToolsNG] Where can I view an image shot with a Sigma 4.5-mm?

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
      Hi Michel,

      On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:44:48 +0900, michel thoby <thobymichel@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi list,
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/26stg4
      >
      > This page from the Sigma Corp website concerns the 4.5 fisheye lens.
      >
      > I read there:
      > <<This autofocus circular fisheye lens has an angle of view of 180
      > degrees in all directions. It is exclusively designed for digital SLR
      > cameras with the APS-C size image sensor. When used in conjunction
      > with digital SLRs with APS-C size image sensors, it produces circular
      > image within the frame....>>
      >
      > But I also read elsewhere in the same article:
      > << * The angle of view depends upon the digital camera being used >>.
      >
      > This statement may well be a left-over from the page template used
      > for all the Sigma lenses. I can't believe that cropping would occur
      > on any sensor of the compatible DSLR cameras (Sigma, Canon, Nikon)
      > taking into account such a short focal length.
      >
      > Can anybody point me to a link for an image shot with this lens?

      I cannot point you to a link, but I gave the information that would
      answer your question in a recent post on the "First Looks" reviews
      of the two new Sigma fisheye lenses.

      You are right. The text cannot refer to the 4.5mm lens. This has an
      image circle that fits just inside the Canon sensor frame, and well
      inside the Nikon sensor frame. There is no cutoff in either. But
      there is no claim that the circle exceeds 180 degrees, and no hint
      that it might.

      The full-frame fisheeye is a different matter, of course. Being full
      frame it will necessarily differ according to the frame dimensions.
      <grin>

      The lack of any significant amount of light scattered into the dark
      area outside the image circle should, incidentally, help the automatic
      programs to stitch the images properly. No confusion there...

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger