Handheld stitchless pano Is that suitable for journalistic VR? would you use it?

  • dorindxn
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 16, 2008
      Here is some progress I made with stitchless technique.

      http://dorin.devalvr.com/HandHeld/Smooth_5D_NoMask_Med2/Pano.html
      To see this you must have DevalVR.

      Many thanks to Smooth from http://www.smooth360.info for the sample
      photos taken handheld with Canon 5D and Sigma 8mm 3.5

      As a remember, stitchless panos can be uploaded/produced within
      minutes and even are suitable for live transmission.
      An example of live transmited panos will follow in the near future.

      This kind of pano is now possible with both FulFrame Camera or due to
      the new 4.5mm Sigma or othher around this short focale FE lens even on
      1.5 or 1.6 crop sensor at a bit lower resolution (for now)

      Appreciate any thoughts

      Dorin
    • jeanpierrelavoie
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 16, 2008
        Hi Dorin,
        This technique is really interesting. Do you have more info on the
        process, software and how to make it? I would love to give it a try
        sometimes.
        Jean-Pierre

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

        > Here is some progress I made with stitchless technique.
        >

        > http://dorin.devalvr.com/HandHeld/Smooth_5D_NoMask_Med2/Pano.html
        > To see this you must have DevalVR.
        >
        > Many thanks to Smooth from http://www.smooth360.info for the sample
        > photos taken handheld with Canon 5D and Sigma 8mm 3.5
        >
        > As a remember, stitchless panos can be uploaded/produced within
        > minutes and even are suitable for live transmission.
        > An example of live transmited panos will follow in the near future.
        >
        > This kind of pano is now possible with both FulFrame Camera or due
        > the new 4.5mm Sigma or othher around this short focale FE lens even
        on
        > 1.5 or 1.6 crop sensor at a bit lower resolution (for now)
        >
        > Appreciate any thoughts
        >
        > Dorin

      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 16, 2008
          On 1/16/2008 3:34 AM, dorindxn's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
          typed ...:
          > Here is some progress I made with stitchless technique.
          >

          > http://dorin.devalvr.com/HandHeld/Smooth_5D_NoMask_Med2/Pano.html
          > To see this you must have DevalVR.

          I like the way the truck appears/disappears (depending on the direction
          you pan). =8^)

          But seriously, when I tilt (in either direction) I notice the edge of
          the frame "jump" out of the way and it appears that another one of the 7
          frames loads. Is this a streaming method of displaying the pano? If so
          how are you going it?:

          > Many thanks to Smooth from http://www.smooth360.info for the sample
          > photos taken handheld with Canon 5D and Sigma 8mm 3.5
          >
          > As a remember, stitchless panos can be uploaded/produced within
          > minutes and even are suitable for live transmission.
          > An example of live transmited panos will follow in the near future.
          >
          > This kind of pano is now possible with both FulFrame Camera or due to
          > the new 4.5mm Sigma or othher around this short focale FE lens even on
          > 1.5 or 1.6 crop sensor at a bit lower resolution (for now)
          >
          > Appreciate any thoughts
          >
          > Dorin

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 16, 2008
            Pat, You've never seen this before?

            It's a cool use of devalvr. No stitching, no blending. Each fisheye is
            projected into equirectangular, and completely fills the viewer fov.

            When you pan, the images are swapped out, and since there is only one image
            at a time, there will never been stiching/blending errors or parallax.

            The con against this is the overhead for all the overlapping images.

            On 1/16/2008 3:34 AM, dorindxn's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
            typed ...:
            > Here is some progress I made with stitchless technique.
            >

            > http://dorin.devalvr.com/HandHeld/Smooth_5D_NoMask_Med2/Pano.html
            > To see this you must have DevalVR.

            I like the way the truck appears/disappears (depending on the direction
            you pan). =8^)

            But seriously, when I tilt (in either direction) I notice the edge of
            the frame "jump" out of the way and it appears that another one of the 7
            frames loads. Is this a streaming method of displaying the pano? If so
            how are you going it?:

            > Many thanks to Smooth from http://www.smooth360.info for the sample
            > photos taken handheld with Canon 5D and Sigma 8mm 3.5
            >
            > As a remember, stitchless panos can be uploaded/produced within
            > minutes and even are suitable for live transmission.
            > An example of live transmited panos will follow in the near future.
            >
            > This kind of pano is now possible with both FulFrame Camera or due to
            > the new 4.5mm Sigma or othher around this short focale FE lens even on
            > 1.5 or 1.6 crop sensor at a bit lower resolution (for now)
            >
            > Appreciate any thoughts
            >
            > Dorin

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large

          • Pat Swovelin
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 16, 2008
              On 1/16/2008 10:52 AM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
              and typed ...:
              > Pat, You've never seen this before?

              Not that I remember.

              > It's a cool use of devalvr. No stitching, no blending. Each fisheye is
              > projected into equirectangular, and completely fills the viewer fov.
              >
              > When you pan, the images are swapped out, and since there is only one
              > image
              > at a time, there will never been stiching/blending errors or parallax.

              Where's the tutorial on this technique?

              > The con against this is the overhead for all the overlapping images.

              Even if everything loaded at the same time (assuming they're not HUGE
              images) isn't that about the same size as a normal (whatever that means)
              pano?

              Pat Swovelin
              Cool Guy @ Large
            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 16, 2008
                Fascinating, Dorin!

                On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:34:20 +0900, dorindxn <Dorin@...> wrote:

                > Here is some progress I made with stitchless technique.
                >

                > http://dorin.devalvr.com/HandHeld/Smooth_5D_NoMask_Med2/Pano.html
                > To see this you must have DevalVR.
                >
                > Many thanks to Smooth from http://www.smooth360.info for the sample
                > photos taken handheld with Canon 5D and Sigma 8mm 3.5
                > As a remember, stitchless panos can be uploaded/produced within
                > minutes and even are suitable for live transmission.
                > An example of live transmited panos will follow in the near future.
                > This kind of pano is now possible with both FulFrame Camera or due to
                > the new 4.5mm Sigma or othher around this short focale FE lens even on
                > 1.5 or 1.6 crop sensor at a bit lower resolution (for now)

                I notice that you haven't found the exact non-parallax point for your
                camera/lens combination because there is a jump (with slightly but
                noticeably different parallax before and after the jump) when one
                image is replaced by the next one.

                The appearance/disappearance of trucks and parked cars can't be
                helped, and of course are only a minor distraction. And they are
                easily removed if/when you actually do the stitching.

                But as someone who hates stitching and loves DevalVR, I am very
                interested in your experiment. Do keep us up to date!

                My ideal would be an Epson storage/viewer unit with DevalVR in
                it that would let me see my panoramas almost immediately after I
                had taken them... something I could show the customer who stands
                beside me at the shoot!

                Roger W.

                --
                Work: www.adex-japan.com
                Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 16, 2008
                  The entire subject is: Handheld stitchless pano Is that suitable for
                  journalistic VR? would you use it?

                  Thank you all for the replies.
                  The photos for that example was kindly provided by Smooth from
                  http://www.smooth360.com them were taked handheld with 5D camera with
                  Sigma 8mm
                  My direction was to rotate around one foot and to try to take a photo
                  at every 60 degrees appart.
                  I did tell him that the acceptable error from that can be up to +-15
                  degrees. In other words if one take photos at small degrees intervals
                  if the number of photos is at least 12 there will be 6 shoots which
                  will fall into that requirement of precision/tolerance anyhow. As the
                  error of yaw/pitch/roll is corrected there is no jumps because of yaw
                  but, as you noted, are jumps because of the parallax and the moving
                  things might appear/disappear/jump at panning.

                  The Sigma 8mm cast a full circle/bubble on 5D camera sensor so I did
                  anticipated an almost complete cover of the sphere. The same result
                  can be achieved with those new FE lens around 5mm on a 1.x crop camera.

                  With my 350D and Sigma 8mm 3.5, I did a similar test handheld in a
                  much dynamic environment.
                  In these examples those who appear and dissappear are the people.
                  You've been warned! :)

                  http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/patinaj01/Pano.html
                  http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/patinaj02/Pano.html
                  http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/patinaj03/Pano.html

                  Because of the 1.62 crop sensor of my camera the bubble casted by
                  Sigma isn't complete and because of the landscape orientation of the
                  computer display, I must keep the camera in landscape position. In
                  these panos the sphere isn't complete up and down.
                  I'm a lock-up mirror worshiper and that was my first attempt handheld
                  so my performance/rotation around one foot was faar from good and.

                  The pano can be eventually stitched, mith extra work, and turned into
                  a regular pano as I did with the first one from this serie
                  http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/patinaj01/qt/pano.html

                  but becouse of the landscape position of the camera and the absence of
                  the nadir/zenith photo I faked the nadir/zenith
                  here is before/after cubic tile of the nadir
                  http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/patinaj01/qt/patched_nadir.jpg

                  Except the horison line which is odd, from a good reason, the pano is
                  ok as wasn't at all my initial intenttion to stitch that and no care
                  was taken in that order.

                  A tutorial, even a simplify of the concept/use will follow :)

                  Dorin
                • wardnet2001
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 26, 2008
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

                    > In these examples those who appear and dissappear are the people.
                    > You've been warned! :)
                    >
                    > http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/patinaj01/Pano.html
                    > http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/patinaj02/Pano.html
                    > http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/patinaj03/Pano.html
                    >

                    > A tutorial, even a simplify of the concept/use will follow :)
                    >
                    > Dorin

                    Hi Dorin

                    Hope you've still got time to write this tutorial, I'm quite keen to
                    learn about this method - I think there are exciting possibilities.

                    Bill
                  • Gary O'Brien
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 27, 2008
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:
                      > http://dorin.devalvr.com/HandHeld/Smooth_5D_NoMask_Med2/Pano.html
                      > To see this you must have DevalVR.

                      Dorin:

                      For some reason, your site is telling me I need QuickTime to view your content. That's
                      odd, since I'm on a MacBookPro running OS 10.4.11 and Safari 3.0.4.

                      Am I missing something? I'd really like to see what you're up to.

                      Best regards,
                      Gary

                      --
                      Gary O'Brien
                      Photographer
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 27, 2008
                        On 1/28/08, Gary O'Brien <gary@...> wrote:

                        > For some reason, your site is telling me I need QuickTime to view your content. That's
                        > odd, since I'm on a MacBookPro running OS 10.4.11 and Safari 3.0.4.
                        >
                        > Am I missing something? I'd really like to see what you're up to.

                        Gary
                        you need to be in windows running DEVAL !!!

                        Cheers
                        AYRTON

                        > Best regards,
                        > Gary
                        >

                        > --
                        > Gary O'Brien
                        > Photographer
                        > Charlotte, NC USA
                        > http://garyobrien.com
                        > http://panoramist.blogspot.com
                        > IM: garyobrien1@...

                        A Y R T O N
                        (55-21) 9982.6313

                        www.rio360.com.br
                        www.vrfolio.com
                        www.ayrton.com
                        rio.360cities.net
                      • Keith Martin
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 27, 2008
                          Sometime around 28/1/08 (at 00:46 -0200) AYRTON - avi said:

                          >Gary
                          >you need to be in windows running DEVAL !!!

                          Dangit. When will DevalVR go cross-platform? :-)

                          But Gary's point was really that the message the page gives is a little odd.

                          The message that "This content requires QuickTime Player" and a link
                          to download QuickTime is not the sort of thing I'd expect to see when
                          I'm using a Mac.

                        • panokaemena@mac.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
                            that is odd... if you visit my Deval Panos with Mac you will se simply
                            the QTVR in original size and not the wrong suggestion to install QT

                            http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/BuenosAires/SubteAzulejos/index_Dv.html

                            Willy Kaemena

                            http://bremen.360cities.net/
                            http://syria.360cities.net/
                            http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                            On Jan 28, 2008, at 0:46, AYRTON - avi wrote:

                            > On 1/28/08, Gary O'Brien <gary@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > For some reason, your site is telling me I need QuickTime to view
                            > your content. That's
                            > > odd, since I'm on a MacBookPro running OS 10.4.11 and Safari 3.0.4.
                            > >
                            > > Am I missing something? I'd really like to see what you're up to.
                            >
                            > Gary
                            > you need to be in windows running DEVAL !!!
                            >
                            > Cheers
                            > AYRTON
                            >

                            > > Best regards,
                            > > Gary
                            > >

                            > > --
                            > > Gary O'Brien
                            > > Photographer
                            > > Charlotte, NC USA
                            > > http://garyobrien.com
                            > > http://panoramist.blogspot.com
                            > > IM: garyobrien1@...
                            > >

                            > > --

                            > A Y R T O N
                            > (55-21) 9982.6313
                            >
                            > www.rio360.com.br
                            > www.vrfolio.com
                            > www.ayrton.com
                            > rio.360cities.net

                            Willy Kaemena

                            http://bremen.360cities.net/
                            http://syria.360cities.net/
                            http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                          • michel thoby
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
                              Le 28 janv. 08 à 11:17, panokaemena@... a écrit :

                              > that is odd... if you visit my Deval Panos with Mac you will se simply
                              > the QTVR in original size and not the wrong suggestion to install QT

                              Here on my screen (PPC Mac):
                              Your panos are shown in original size *without* the wrong suggestion
                              to install anything at all!

                              Michel

                            • panokaemena@mac.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
                                that is what I said........

                                On Jan 28, 2008, at 8:33, michel thoby wrote:

                                > Le 28 janv. 08 à 11:17, panokaemena@... a écrit :
                                >
                                > > that is odd... if you visit my Deval Panos with Mac you will se
                                > simply
                                > > the QTVR in original size and not the wrong suggestion to install QT
                                >
                                > Here on my screen (PPC Mac):
                                > Your panos are shown in original size *without* the wrong suggestion
                                > to install anything at all!
                                >
                                > Michel

                                Willy Kaemena

                                http://bremen.360cities.net/
                                http://syria.360cities.net/
                                http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                              • michel thoby
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
                                  Le 28 janv. 08 à 11:36, panokaemena@... a écrit :

                                  > that is what I said........
                                  >
                                  > > Here on my screen (PPC Mac):
                                  > > Your panos are shown in original size *without* the wrong suggestion
                                  > > to install anything at all!
                                  >
                                  > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/BuenosAires/SubteAzulejos/
                                  > index_Dv.html

                                  Sorry to not having been clear enough and to have missed my point by
                                  too much conciseness.

                                  I just wanted to implicitly suggest to the Windows oriented Web-
                                  masters and panography authors that absolutely want to show panos
                                  with DevalVR to possibly then use your solution as Mac users could 1)
                                  see the pano and 2) instead of any other suggestion at all.

                                  A part of the community shall otherwise continue to be frustrated (as
                                  personally I feel sometimes in such occasion) until Deval VR shall be
                                  ported to Mac OS.

                                  Regards,

                                  Michel

                                • panokaemena@mac.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
                                    ;-)))

                                    yes that was my point too, even if you dont have deval the WIN user
                                    should be informed to install it and the Mac user should see the
                                    QTVR. I think the pleinpot code is made for this.

                                    Willy

                                    On Jan 28, 2008, at 9:11, michel thoby wrote:

                                    > Le 28 janv. 08 à 11:36, panokaemena@... a écrit :
                                    >
                                    > > that is what I said........
                                    > >
                                    > > > Here on my screen (PPC Mac):
                                    > > > Your panos are shown in original size *without* the wrong
                                    > suggestion
                                    > > > to install anything at all!
                                    > >
                                    > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/BuenosAires/SubteAzulejos/
                                    > > index_Dv.html
                                    >
                                    > Sorry to not having been clear enough and to have missed my point by
                                    > too much conciseness.
                                    >
                                    > I just wanted to implicitly suggest to the Windows oriented Web-
                                    > masters and panography authors that absolutely want to show panos
                                    > with DevalVR to possibly then use your solution as Mac users could 1)
                                    > see the pano and 2) instead of any other suggestion at all.
                                    >
                                    > A part of the community shall otherwise continue to be frustrated (as
                                    > personally I feel sometimes in such occasion) until Deval VR shall be
                                    > ported to Mac OS.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    >
                                    > Michel

                                    Willy Kaemena

                                    http://bremen.360cities.net/
                                    http://syria.360cities.net/
                                    http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                                  • Milko K. Amorth
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
                                      Hi Macs,
                                      Just to make it known. I am on a Mac as well, but mainly for cross
                                      platform test and trial reasons, only.

                                      In a nut shell, a qtvr movie, a flash file and jpegs are called via
                                      <detect.js> java script to present for QT,DevalVR.Flash, Spi-V,Java and
                                      Panageavr for both, Mac and PC platforms. That usually works fine with
                                      the script delivering the qtvr.mov to a mac with either QT or Panageavr
                                      onboard. Qtvrs however will be shown in their container size. If a full
                                      screen qtvr container is packed with 640x480 dimensions, thats all a Mac
                                      will be able to see.

                                      In Dorin's stitchless presentation there is the <detect.js> but no qtvr
                                      file available. Rather an instruction to call a <pano.dvl> script which
                                      in turn delivers 5 face sub tiles for each 60 degree increment
                                      (face000,face060.face120,face180,face240 and face300) thats 30 tiles to
                                      download. Initial activation is in full screen kiosk mode.

                                      In this case source files of 6 circular fisheye images must go through a
                                      remapping routine to derive the many faces needed. Each file will have 5
                                      cube faces. As you pan from left or right, up or down into each zone
                                      (0,60,180,240,300 ect.) the respective faces will be shown in the
                                      viewer. Huge download streams, but live on the fly presentation is
                                      possible with this scripting method.

                                      Cheers, Milko
                                    • Milko K. Amorth
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
                                        Hi again,
                                        6 babies like that:
                                        http://www.omnitech.com/pdf/ORIFL190_3%20rev%208.pdf
                                        in a small hexagon frame, wireless AV, PTstitcher script and DevalVR .....
                                        ......a tossable live event spherical still and video cam!

                                        If that is suitable for jounalistic VR is up to the news publisher. No
                                        other image manipulation but remapping is needed.
                                        No scene omissions, no parallax issues, no stitching.....

                                        Cheers, Milko
                                      • Gary O'Brien
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "AYRTON - avi" <avi@...> wrote:
                                          > Gary
                                          > you need to be in windows running DEVAL !!!
                                          >
                                          > Cheers
                                          > AYRTON

                                          [sound of hand slapping forehead]

                                          Oh. Okay. I'm a QT/Mac only guy.

                                          I don't have access to a Windows machine on which I have admin privileges. But I'll try.

                                          Is this method possible on Mac given current technology? I understand that viewers are
                                          mostly PC. But a lot of content creators are Mac.

                                          I suppose a Parallels installation is in my future...

                                          Thanks!

                                          Gary

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
                                            Hi all,

                                            > Is this method possible on Mac given current technology? I understand
                                            > that viewers are
                                            > mostly PC. But a lot of content creators are Mac.

                                            This PTviewer.js works on Mac on a similar principle but no viewer
                                            needed. No Plugins needed.:
                                            http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/js/PTJS.html

                                            Although this sample was remapped from a stitched panorama with mpremap
                                            in batch mode i assume that you could feed individual shots with enough
                                            overlap as well.
                                            Its been the fake panorama maker technique with the object viewer for
                                            quite a while now.

                                            Cheers, Milko
                                          • Jim Watters
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
                                              Another good use might be for "at the top of the tower" panoramas where
                                              there is significant parallax error. Any takers to try publishing a
                                              tower pano using Deval or PTViewer using the stitchless method.

                                              --
                                              Jim Watters

                                              jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                                              http://photocreations.ca
                                            • Gary O'Brien
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
                                                Milko:

                                                I like this idea a lot. I spent a lot of time this past week stitching images from live events
                                                (http://charlotteobserver.com/static/images/pano/012608_obama/). A rig like the one
                                                you describe would be wonderful, for both the photographer and viewsers.

                                                And you are absolutely correct about the ethics of photojournalism. What your "ball" sees
                                                would be all we'd need to present - it would be up to the viewer to decide what to look at.

                                                cheerio
                                                Gary