Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: New Computer Spec

  • Scott Witte
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 10, 2008
      sphereworks wrote:
      > Ok, confused about the OS system now. Which is better? XP Pro 64bit or
      > Vista 64bit ?
      The people I know who have been testing WinXP64 SP3 beta swear by it
      while still disliking Vista. Of course, they aren't photographers so I
      don't know about compatibility issues for programs and hardware. Not
      sure when it will be out officially but I will seriously consider
      switching to that myself.

      BTW, I will echo Rick's concerns and suggestions regarding your HD
      choices. Disk speed is the prime bottleneck in stitching. The faster the
      better so consider a four disk RAID 0 for that. Personally, I've been
      VERY impressed with the newest SATA II drives vs the 150GB Raptor
      (personal, real world experience). Not sure the Raptor is still worth
      its premium price for our kind of work (large, sequential file read /
      write primarily).

      And remember that each drive in a RAID 0 increases the chance of
      failure. Backup and / or Mirroring are critical always, but more so
      with RAID 0.

      --
      Scott Witte

      Member, APA | Midwest