Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: new international rule about batteries

  • Georgia Real Tours
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 8, 2008
      Hi Pat,

      On 1/7/08, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

      > It seems that the real problem is the limit of 2 spare batteries per
      > device. As photographers that's the one that'll bite us.

      I think you are misinterpreting the restrictions. It is a limit of
      two batteries which have a Li-On content above 8mg and below 25g with
      a 25g limit aggregate. And of course, the 25g limit applies as a
      total of your batteries.

      It bears to remember that cellphone batteries are often Li-On. And so
      are many rechargeable AA and AAA batteries, plus many (if not all)
      little cell batteries (coin-size) contain lithium. Also, those
      uber-expensive Duracell and Energizer (and other brands) that claim
      incredible long life often are lithium powered. All of these need to
      be taken into account besides just laptop and camera batteries.

      If you are going to travel, look for NiMH batteries which last longer,
      charge faster, and have much less a problem with memory development
      (though you should never let a rechargeable battery ever drain all the
      way down). IIRC, those aren't a problem.

      Lastly, keep an eye out for sealed lead-acid batteries which I believe
      are not allowed whatsoever on carry-on, and probably not allowed on
      checked baggage either. Awesome little batteries, but certainly I
      would consider them more hazardous than Li-On.

      Cheers,
      Robert~

      --
      Mid GA: 478-599-1300