Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Some personal thoughts on HDR

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
      Sometime around 8/1/08 (at 13:05 +0000) Matthew Rogers said:

      >the panoramas on my homepage have nothing to do with HDR, they're
      >simply well exposed single images stitched together, nothing more,
      >nothing less.

      A very good point. Exposure blending and HDR are techniques for
      working with exposure ranges and coming up with a final image of some
      sort. But, as with most things in life, if you get it as right as
      possible in the first place then you have little or (with luck)
      nothing more to do in the final stages.

      The answer is to expose correctly first, and use exposure blending or
      HDR if still necessary.

      >If achieving extended dynamic range is so important to
      >you then you need to purchase an S5Pro. Ths S5Pro will give you an
      >additional 2-stops to play with and can make all the difference.

      Thanks to your advice that's what I got. And yes, it really is a very
      nice camera to use.

      Most of my panos are made with single exposure sets. Sometimes I do
      use exposure blending techniques to merge bracketed shots or 'bracket
      processed' images (thankyou S5Pro!), but it is important there to
      realise that this can produce results that lack a totally believable
      range of contrast. Sometimes I boost this with curves or levels in
      Photoshop afterwards just to recover some of the strength that
      blending can lose.

      I'm still looking forward to using Enfuse, but it would be just
      another part of my image-making suite of tools.