Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Some personal thoughts on HDR

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
      Hi Pra9matiste,

      On 7 Jan 2008, at 23:41, pra9matiste wrote:
      > This is were the question and problem lies - Time - Time to learn
      > you'll right say, but also time in post-processing.
      > I've managed to output descent hdr images, using either bracketed
      > images through photomatix, or simply blending/masking two exposed
      > images.
      > But it takes time. If this is the only way, fair enough.
      > I cam to ask my initial question on the forum relating to high
      > quality- high definition VRs that i could see included an element of
      > hdr, such as the VRs on 360precision, and i would like to add, the
      > images i admired on your own page.
      > These are the quality i'm aiming for, and i must assume by now, that
      > this work did require a series of post-processing actions.

      But the panoramas on my homepage have nothing to do with HDR, they're
      simply well exposed single images stitched together, nothing more,
      nothing less. If achieving extended dynamic range is so important to
      you then you need to purchase an S5Pro. Ths S5Pro will give you an
      additional 2-stops to play with and can make all the difference.

      Matt
      360Precision.com
    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
        Sometime around 8/1/08 (at 13:05 +0000) Matthew Rogers said:

        >the panoramas on my homepage have nothing to do with HDR, they're
        >simply well exposed single images stitched together, nothing more,
        >nothing less.

        A very good point. Exposure blending and HDR are techniques for
        working with exposure ranges and coming up with a final image of some
        sort. But, as with most things in life, if you get it as right as
        possible in the first place then you have little or (with luck)
        nothing more to do in the final stages.

        The answer is to expose correctly first, and use exposure blending or
        HDR if still necessary.

        >If achieving extended dynamic range is so important to
        >you then you need to purchase an S5Pro. Ths S5Pro will give you an
        >additional 2-stops to play with and can make all the difference.

        Thanks to your advice that's what I got. And yes, it really is a very
        nice camera to use.

        Most of my panos are made with single exposure sets. Sometimes I do
        use exposure blending techniques to merge bracketed shots or 'bracket
        processed' images (thankyou S5Pro!), but it is important there to
        realise that this can produce results that lack a totally believable
        range of contrast. Sometimes I boost this with curves or levels in
        Photoshop afterwards just to recover some of the strength that
        blending can lose.

        I'm still looking forward to using Enfuse, but it would be just
        another part of my image-making suite of tools.