Re: [PanoToolsNG] Exposure/HDR tab questions

  • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2008
      Hi John,

      It may become clear if you take a look at the Image Parameters tab.
      You'll see two fields: EV and Exposure Offset.

      The Exposure Offset field is user editable and always affects the
      brightness of the result, regardless of whether the Exposure correction
      checkbox is checked or not.

      EV is a read only field, calculated from the EXIF parameters (ISO,
      Aperture and Exposure Time). If Exposure Correction checkbox is checked,
      the images are also brightness corrected according to the EV value. If
      the checkbox is not checked, only the Exposure Offset field is used.

      If you enable Exposure Optimization in the Settings dialog, the Exposure
      Offset field is optimized. For example, if your image has a +2EV
      Exposure Value, and the optimizer finds that it actually is +2.1EV, then
      the Exposure Offset is set to 0.1. In general with digital cameras
      there's no need to optimize exposure, since the EXIF values should be
      accurate enough. It's useful mainly for scanned film.

      So in general you can leave the settings to 'only if necessary' and
      enable the Exposure Correction checkbox if you used auto exposure and
      would like to correct that.

      Joost