First-ok second high res partial

  • Shawn Steigner
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
      I tried and successfully produced my first multi-gig partial panorama:
      http://www.photosurveyor.com/stills/12.29.07fossiltrace/zoomifyfs.htm

      495 original images
      5 rows, 33 positions, 5' increments, 3 shots per position
      Auto-photomatix exposure blending
      PTGui 7.3 (stitching and blending)

      As the original .psb, it measured 2.2gigs, converted before zoomify, it
      measured just over 1 gig as a .tiff

      Broken down and displayed with Zoomify, its just over 145MB on the web.
      (the fall version was my first attempt-under 1 gig)

      Comments, questions, thrashings welcome.
    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
        On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:13:57 +0900, Shawn Steigner
        <owner@...> wrote:

        > I tried and successfully produced my first multi-gig partial panorama:
        > http://www.photosurveyor.com/stills/12.29.07fossiltrace/zoomifyfs.htm
        >
        > 495 original images
        > 5 rows, 33 positions, 5' increments, 3 shots per position
        > Auto-photomatix exposure blending
        > PTGui 7.3 (stitching and blending)
        >
        > As the original .psb, it measured 2.2gigs, converted before zoomify, it
        > measured just over 1 gig as a .tiff
        >
        > Broken down and displayed with Zoomify, its just over 145MB on the web.
        > (the fall version was my first attempt-under 1 gig)
        >
        > Comments, questions, thrashings welcome.

        I must confess that I never saw the point of megapixel images, and the
        thought of stitching anything over four or six images to get a full
        360 degree panorama makes me feel faint. But this beautiful image has
        won me over, at least as a spectator! (No desire to attempt to do the
        same thing myself). So much to explore, and such consistent quality
        and details. Beautiful!

        Very impressive. Could you make a guess at how many man-hours it took
        you get things to the state where you could upload this to the web?

        Roger W.

        --
        Work: www.adex-japan.com
        Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
          Beautiful
          Congratulations

          AYRTON

          On 1/7/08, Shawn Steigner <owner@...> wrote:

          > I tried and successfully produced my first multi-gig partial panorama:
          > http://www.photosurveyor.com/stills/12.29.07fossiltrace/zoomifyfs.htm
          >
          > 495 original images
          > 5 rows, 33 positions, 5' increments, 3 shots per position
          > Auto-photomatix exposure blending
          > PTGui 7.3 (stitching and blending)
          >
          > As the original .psb, it measured 2.2gigs, converted before zoomify, it
          > measured just over 1 gig as a .tiff
          >
          > Broken down and displayed with Zoomify, its just over 145MB on the web.
          > (the fall version was my first attempt-under 1 gig)
          >
          > Comments, questions, thrashings welcome.

          AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
          Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
          Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
          Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
        • Aaron Spence
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
            Nicely done, gigapixel is still on my list of things to do :)

            Aaron Spence
            www.panedia.com
          • jasonwalp
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
              Shawn,

              As I looked at this photo, it somehow looked familiar to me, and then
              I figured it was just another place that looked a lot like
              Colorado...but I swore that I saw North and South Table Mountain, but
              they seemed connected, and only when I zoomed in and saw the "M" did I
              know for certain you were in Golden! I went to college at the School
              of Mines, and so that view is ingrained in my memory. Great photo!

              Jason Walp
              http://www.djason.net
            • John Riley
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
                On Jan 7, 2008, at 3:25 PM, jasonwalp wrote:

                > only when I zoomed in and saw the "M" did I
                > know for certain you were in Golden! I went to college at the School
                > of Mines, and so that view is ingrained in my memory. Great photo!

                Hmm, I didn't find the "M", but when I first looked I did see the
                giant "G" painted on one of the table-looking mountains. It reminded
                me of college at Furman, where the mountain next to campus had a
                giant "K A" on a patch of bare rock (painted by the kappa alpha
                frat.) I guess the G is for Golden?

                John Riley
                johnriley@...
                jriley@...

              • Shawn Steigner
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
                  Yes, you got it. G is for Golden. The high school seniors would re-paint it
                  every year.
                  The city stopped that a while ago so it has faded a bit.

                  My wife and I used to joke that the "M" was for mountain in case the locals
                  forgot what to call it.

                  Thanks for the comments on this image.

                  And I neglected to thank the pioneers(Max Lyons, the Xrez guys, several
                  others who I don't know but I'm sure helped, etc...)