Output file: PTGui Pro 7.5 Mac Vs Autopano Pro 1.4 Mac

  • marlanit
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2008
      Hi all,

      everyone knows now my experience with a huge mosaic. Hope not to
      bother someone and that this experience might still be of interest...

      So this is my last discovery.
      Output file of the same project, same number of files and almost same
      final dimensions, that is 150.000x30.000 px, BUT clicking the create
      button on both programs a message for the needed space showed up. In
      short:

      PTGui Pro +5TB
      Autopano Pro 60GB

      That is almost 100x more for PTGui!!

      It's me or there might be something with PTGui?

      Thank you again,
      Marco Lanciani
    • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2008
        Hi Marco,

        As I said I'm aware that PTGui is hungry for disk space, and I'm
        planning to improve this. But 5 terabytes seems a bit too much; can you
        send me the project file?

        There's one caveat currently: if an image uses viewpoint correction,
        PTGui will not use cropped temporary files for that image. You didn't
        use viewpoint correction for all images?

        Joost

        marlanit wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > everyone knows now my experience with a huge mosaic. Hope not to
        > bother someone and that this experience might still be of interest...
        >
        > So this is my last discovery.
        > Output file of the same project, same number of files and almost same
        > final dimensions, that is 150.000x30.000 px, BUT clicking the create
        > button on both programs a message for the needed space showed up. In
        > short:
        >
        > PTGui Pro +5TB
        > Autopano Pro 60GB
        >
        > That is almost 100x more for PTGui!!
        >
        > It's me or there might be something with PTGui?
        >
        > Thank you again,
        > Marco Lanciani

      • marlanit
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joost Nieuwenhuijse <imim@...> wrote:

          > Hi Marco,
          >
          > As I said I'm aware that PTGui is hungry for disk space, and I'm
          > planning to improve this. But 5 terabytes seems a bit too much; can you
          > send me the project file?

          Let me ask the photographer, but I think there will be no problem.

          > There's one caveat currently: if an image uses viewpoint correction,
          > PTGui will not use cropped temporary files for that image. You didn't
          > use viewpoint correction for all images?

          :-)
          I did, sorry. :-)

          But I've no choice, I guess. Using Viewpoint makes the difference
          between "this is bad" and "not so bad"...anyway outputting a .jpg at
          low resolution, say 3000x2000, there seems to be no stitching issue,
          and it took just half an hour or so.

          Never got a GREEN "good" optimization.

          The mosaic is a flat surface, so I had to reduce the field of view, 3°
          instead of the original 23°, to keep a flat rectilinear projection,
          and didn't use FoV, abc, Yaw and Pitch. I used Roll for all the images
          but one, and Viewpoint, HShift and VShift for all the images on the
          first optimization, then adding some vertical line a message asked me
          to select roll and pitch for all images...I did so for roll, checking
          that anchor image left, but I didn't for pitch because the
          photographer on the shooting session did is best to keep the camera
          always perpendicular to the surface...

          Am I wrong somewhere in these procedure?

          Thank you
          Marco Lanciani
        • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
            marlanit wrote:
            >> There's one caveat currently: if an image uses viewpoint correction,
            >> PTGui will not use cropped temporary files for that image. You didn't
            >> use viewpoint correction for all images?
            >

            > :-)
            > I did, sorry. :-)
            >
            > But I've no choice, I guess. Using Viewpoint makes the difference
            > between "this is bad" and "not so bad"...anyway outputting a .jpg at
            > low resolution, say 3000x2000, there seems to be no stitching issue,
            > and it took just half an hour or so.

            I think you just have no choice if you want to stitch your panorama at 4
            gigapixels.. Just set the VP parameters to zero; disk space requirements
            should decrease by a factor of 10 at least.

            > Never got a GREEN "good" optimization.
            >
            > The mosaic is a flat surface, so I had to reduce the field of view, 3°
            > instead of the original 23°, to keep a flat rectilinear projection,
            > and didn't use FoV, abc, Yaw and Pitch. I used Roll for all the images
            > but one, and Viewpoint, HShift and VShift for all the images on the
            > first optimization, then adding some vertical line a message asked me
            > to select roll and pitch for all images...I did so for roll, checking
            > that anchor image left, but I didn't for pitch because the
            > photographer on the shooting session did is best to keep the camera
            > always perpendicular to the surface...
            >
            > Am I wrong somewhere in these procedure?

            Well from your postings I assumed that you were stitching a normal
            panorama, so you didn't tell the full story..

            Anyway, I think you need to use one of the two methods described in 6.5:
            http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#6_5
            In any case disable viewpoint optimization.

            PTGui was designed to stitch normal panoramas, where the camera is kept
            in the same position. You might be able to get a good result with some
            efforts, but keep in mind that you're not using the software for what is
            was designed for and at the same time stressing it to its limits.

            Joost
          • marlanit
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joost Nieuwenhuijse <imim@...> wrote:

              > Well from your postings I assumed that you were stitching a normal
              > panorama, so you didn't tell the full story..

              I'm sorry, it wasn't my intension...

              > Anyway, I think you need to use one of the two methods described in
              6.5:
              > http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#6_5
              > In any case disable viewpoint optimization.
              >
              > PTGui was designed to stitch normal panoramas, where the camera is kept
              > in the same position. You might be able to get a good result with some
              > efforts, but keep in mind that you're not using the software for
              what is
              > was designed for and at the same time stressing it to its limits.
              >
              > Joost

              I'll let you all know soon...

              Thank you!
              Marco Lanciani