RE: D300 winter weather

  • Paul Palmer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2008
      We are currently based about 200km north of the arctic circle , www.levi.fi.

      Do not have the D300 yet but have a D70s and D80, both creating panoramas
      up here at 24c below !

      The D300 should be much better, the high ISO of the D70s and D80 is poor
      in the low light at the moment and with the grip you can use AA batteries
      but they may not be as good as running the enel3

      The latest pic was an outing to a reindeer farm and artist gallery, it
      dropped to -26c then warmed up to -21c in the afternoon.

      This still pic shows the instant frost on the reindeer mans whiskers!

      http://www.360foto.com/villamagia/gallery/content/8p46217_large.html

      This lady has white stuff on her clothes from the cold, just breathing can
      be a cool thing to do .

      http://www.360foto.com/villamagia/gallery/content/8p46310_large.html

      Here is a basic pano at 24c below, nothing special but shows that the D70s
      was still working after 2 hours in the cold.

      http://www.360foto.com/villamagia/

      Some cold weather tips that helped us while outside in the cold for 2-3
      hours.

      Keep the lens contacts dry and clean, have had the odd exposure problem
      which seemd to be contact related. Auto focus on older non AFS lens get
      a bit noisey / slow, our 85mm 1.8 worked better on manual focus.

      carry 2 spare batteries in your inside pocket, change over the battery
      each 30 mins to avoid the camera stopping. The D70s started to die after
      one hour and a quick battery change got it going again. A battery change
      half way through a pano is not recommended!

      Get a carbon fibre tripod! The old 055 alumi model sucks the heat from
      your hands, VERY cold to work with. At least duct tape a thin layer of
      foam around the legs.

      Gloves that have a flip cover for the fingers, i tried the finger tipless
      ones but the tips got to cold.

      We will be getting a D300 at some stage, not that the others are not
      coping, but so that I get better high ISO and do not have to change lenses
      on the body at such cold temperatures. I lost grip during a change, lucky
      the lense dropped into a padded part of the bag.

      Hope that helps

      Paul