Raon Vega:QTVR Viewing & Canon Remote Control?

  • Wheaton, Simon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5 5:00 PM
      After some recent mentions of the subject here, I was looking for the smallest/lightest UMPC for remote control of my Canon 350D, to give a wider exposure bracketing range, with a greater number of exposure steps. An added bonus would be QTVR viewing, plus having WindowsXP for running other applications when mobile.

      I pretty much settled on the Raon Everun, the newer version of the Vega, but with faster processor, keypad, and built-in wifi/bluetooth, as the smallest/lightest/best solution.

      Then today I found, and purchased, a second hand, 18-month old, Raon Vega on an auction site for $290US+shipping. I figured it was a good price and that I could try it out for a while and maybe pickup an Everun or something newer later on if I wanted better performance.

      So, while I'm waiting for it to arrive...

      How well does the Vega handle Apple Quicktime Player for QTVR playback? Can you navigate with the scroll pad OK, and can you zoom in and out with the buttons on the front panel of the Vega?

      Does it work well for remote control of a Canon camera like a 350D? And, what programs do you use on it that give more bracketing options with remote shutter release? Can you script these for each bracketed set to run through the shots automatically, with a short delay between each exposure, or do the remote control programs do this for you?

      Thanks,
      Simon

      Canberra

      AUSTRALIA

    • Carel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5 10:52 PM
        Wheaton, Simon wrote:

        > After some recent mentions of the subject here, I was looking for the
        > smallest/lightest UMPC for remote control of my Canon 350D, to give a
        > wider exposure bracketing range, with a greater number of exposure steps.
        > An added bonus would be QTVR viewing, plus having WindowsXP for running
        > other applications when mobile.
        >
        > I pretty much settled on the Raon Everun, the newer version of the Vega,
        > but with faster processor, keypad, and built-in wifi/bluetooth, as the
        > smallest/lightest/best solution.
        >
        > Then today I found, and purchased, a second hand, 18-month old, Raon Vega
        > on an auction site for $290US+shipping. I figured it was a good price and
        > that I could try it out for a while and maybe pickup an Everun or
        > something newer later on if I wanted better performance.
        >
        > So, while I'm waiting for it to arrive...
        >
        > How well does the Vega handle Apple Quicktime Player for QTVR playback?
        > Can you navigate with the scroll pad OK, and can you zoom in and out with
        > the buttons on the front panel of the Vega?
        >
        > Does it work well for remote control of a Canon camera like a 350D? And,
        > what programs do you use on it that give more bracketing options with
        > remote shutter release? Can you script these for each bracketed set to run
        > through the shots automatically, with a short delay between each exposure,
        > or do the remote control programs do this for you?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Simon
        >
        > Canberra
        >
        > AUSTRALIA

        Hi Simon,

        I have been using the Raon Vega for a while. It has a small but very bright
        screen. It is possible to show QTVRs on it, but I hardly ever do, except
        when a security guard needs to be convinced of my good intentions in a
        public space. DSLR Remote Pro works great with this setup. You set the
        number of shots and the other parameters in the GUI and then click a key
        once to start the series. According to Breeze, DSLR Remote Pro can be
        scripted to bracket in larger increments than the current two stops. I still
        have to experiment with this. One would hardly ever have to use more than 3
        brackets with a 3 stops interval. I dont know if the other things you
        mention are scriptable, but looking at the scripting language will probably
        clarify that.
        The processor is pretty slow, so not that useful for doing anything but
        email & wordprocessing, for which I got a foldable keyboard. I also have
        Faststone Image Viewer installed to review the RAW images. Battery life is
        decent too.

        Carel Struycken

      • Luca Vascon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6 1:30 PM
          I use a Samsung Q1. I'm very happy about it, fast and reliable, but
          battery is lasting for 3-4hours maximum, 8" good screen and poor
          resolution (800x480)
          I use breeze too, but I've problems in setting more than 3 bracketed
          shots. I used to shoot 7. I act on shutter controller on the q1.
          Weight is around 700g, that is much, compared to Vega.
          I use it to show panos, with DevalVR, pictures etc.
          I use it to read digital comics, to browse internet etc.etc.
          I use it to watch films on train too. In bed also, it is connected to my
          wifi and browses the big machine HD.
          It has a twin mic array, so it is PERFECT for Skype. I draw and sketch
          on it too.
          Finally, due to its portability and GOOD noise cancelling mic I insalled
          Viavoice and can control the computer and dictate directly to wordprocess.
          :-)
          I also used it to make panoramas... for 4 shots fisheye is enough.
          It can not substitute a real computer at 100%, but it can solve problems
          you never thought you could have...
          :-)

          Carel ha scritto:

> [...]
          > public space. DSLR Remote Pro works great with this setup. You set the
          > number of shots and the other parameters in the GUI and then click a key
          > once to start the series. According to Breeze, DSLR Remote Pro can be
          > scripted to bracket in larger increments than the current two stops. I
          > still
          > have to experiment with this. One would hardly ever have to use more
          > than 3
          > brackets with a 3 stops interval. I dont know if the other things you
          > mention are scriptable, but looking at the scripting language will
          > probably
          > clarify that.
          > The processor is pretty slow, so not that useful for doing anything but
          > email & wordprocessing, for which I got a foldable keyboard. I also have
          > Faststone Image Viewer installed to review the RAW images. Battery life is

        • Carel
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6 2:21 PM
            Luca Vascon wrote:

            > I use a Samsung Q1. I'm very happy about it, fast and reliable, but
            > battery is lasting for 3-4hours maximum, 8" good screen and poor
            > resolution (800x480)
            > I use breeze too, but I've problems in setting more than 3 bracketed
            > shots. I used to shoot 7.

            The problem with shooting >3 bracketed shots is strange. Have you tried
            experimenting with different settings for: "Save to camera only" or "Save to
            Camera and PC" or "Save to PC only". I can bracket as many as the GUI allows
            with both the 350D and the 5D.

            Carel

          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6 2:27 PM