The PTGui Terapano experience continue...

  • marlanit
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
      Hi again,

      Today I went to the photographer's Studio I'm working for trying to
      start the full project...actually they are 146 images.

      All the images, and PTGui application, were in the HD: it took 40' to
      import; 110' the control point creation, and missed 2 images because,
      I suppose, not enough overlap...I wasent there, during the shoot...

      When it comes to the "create panorama" tab a message poped
      up...guessed it?...not enough memory for temporary files...I assigned
      the paths for two raid disks on the network but PTGui seemed to see
      only the first raid, as assigned in preferences...anyway 1.1TB
      available, 5.6TB needed...but it's not an issue because even both the
      networked raid disks, even if they were recognized, aren't enough...

      Sorry, I can't imagine external firewire HDs because, at least, 12
      500GB of them would be needed...The only solution seems to be a fast
      and huge network...

      My next step, if the photographer I'm working for agrees, is to import
      .jpg instead of .tif, but exporting always in .psb.
      Could this be the cure?

      I'll let you know, but if any suggestion still exists it would be very
      appreciated.

      Regards,
      Marco Lanciani
    • Scott Witte
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
        marlanit wrote:
        > When it comes to the "create panorama" tab a message poped
        > up...guessed it?...not enough memory for temporary files...
        Marco,

        The way I've handled this is to stitch only part of the pano at a time
        (after you have set up control points for the entire pano). Just uncheck
        images from the segments you aren't stitching at the moment in the
        create pano tab. Make the segments as large as will fit in your temp
        space and give enough overlap between segments.

        When all segments are finished stitch the segments together. They should
        fit perfectly but if not I suspect you could repeat the stitching
        process with the large segments.

        --
        Scott Witte
        ---------------------------------

        Member, APA | Midwest

      • rogerhoward@rogerroger.org
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
          On Jan 5, 2008, at 3:54 PM, marlanit wrote:

          > Hi again,
          >
          > Today I went to the photographer's Studio I'm working for trying to
          > start the full project...actually they are 146 images.
          >
          > All the images, and PTGui application, were in the HD: it took 40' to
          > import; 110' the control point creation, and missed 2 images because,
          > I suppose, not enough overlap...I wasent there, during the shoot...
          >
          > When it comes to the "create panorama" tab a message poped
          > up...guessed it?...not enough memory for temporary files...I assigned
          > the paths for two raid disks on the network but PTGui seemed to see
          > only the first raid, as assigned in preferences...anyway 1.1TB
          > available, 5.6TB needed...but it's not an issue because even both the
          > networked raid disks, even if they were recognized, aren't enough...
          >
          > Sorry, I can't imagine external firewire HDs because, at least, 12
          > 500GB of them would be needed...The only solution seems to be a fast
          > and huge network...

          Well, there's no significant difference between disks on the network
          and disks attached locally - no reason you *couldn't* have a large
          array of disks attached directly to your machine, just as they are
          attached to a server (or directly to the network) now. Depending on
          the interface, it could be significantly faster with a non-network
          connection, too.

          Not knowing how your RAIDs are setup, your network topology, how you
          are mounting them on your workstation, etc, it's hard to advise any
          improvements on that end.

          In any case, as someone else suggested, just split up your stitching
          into several sections, each small enough to work with your available
          scratch space. Using JPEG input files won't make a difference in the
          amount of space you need for temp - temp space is all uncompressed.

          If you're stitching 16 bit, switching to 8bit will make a big
          difference (50%).
        • marlanit
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottwitte@...> wrote:

            > marlanit wrote:
            > > When it comes to the "create panorama" tab a message poped
            > > up...guessed it?...not enough memory for temporary files...
            > Marco,
            >
            > The way I've handled this is to stitch only part of the pano at a time
            > (after you have set up control points for the entire pano). Just uncheck
            > images from the segments you aren't stitching at the moment in the
            > create pano tab. Make the segments as large as will fit in your temp
            > space and give enough overlap between segments.
            >
            > When all segments are finished stitch the segments together. They should
            > fit perfectly but if not I suspect you could repeat the stitching
            > process with the large segments.

            I forgot to mention, this is right as I did and I can add that the 1.1 TB available are good
            for 30 images at a time.

            As you do remind I hope there won't be stitching problems.
            Thank you,
            Marco

            > Scott Witte
          • marlanit
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, rogerhoward@... wrote:

              > Not knowing how your RAIDs are setup, your network topology, how you
              > are mounting them on your workstation, etc, it's hard to advise any
              > improvements on that end.

              I don't know if this may help, but coping, in groups, the 146 images from the raid to the
              internal HD, so to try to speed up something, took, say, 10" or 15" per group, that is
              650MB. Does this tell you something about the network?

              > Using JPEG input files won't make a difference in the
              > amount of space you need for temp - temp space is all uncompressed.

              But could it make the difference, at least, in importing and managing files while working in
              PTGui, before the stitching process?
              And there will be any visible difference in the final output, as long as you know?

              > If you're stitching 16 bit, switching to 8bit will make a big
              > difference (50%).

              I'm already working at 8bit.