Preventing pinch and skew?

  • stubish
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
      Hello,
      I've sucessfully put together a few panoramas with my little
      point and shoot and the help of ptgui.... it's been great as it
      compensates for all the shortcomings of not being able to fix the
      exposure or white ballance on my Canon Sd550.

      However I'm wanting to get into some panographies. More along the line
      of Hockneys works.

      http://www.flickr.com/groups/panography/pool/ is allot of examples.

      Now the problems i'm having is that I can't seem to tell PTgui to
      simply rotate and align the pics, it always wants to skew them or fix
      the field of view.

      can anybody help me with getting this sorted out? Has anybody done
      anything like this before?

      I'm more than happy to post some sample pics of mine to see if it's
      possible.

      Kind regards
      Stuart Bishop
    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
        PTGui is not really made to do this kind of thing.
        Yes I have done something like that, http://photocreations.ca/collage
        But I never used PT to do it. These examples are using physical prints.
        Using Photoshop and just moving the images around might be the best bet.

        Using PTGui you can try to set the FoV of the images to something
        extremely low like 0.1 deg or less. make the result 2 or 5 deg or what
        ever you need. Then just use the Editor screen to move them around and
        not worry about control points. and do not optimize. This will still
        try to perspective correct the images but by using very small values for
        the FoV it will be minimized.
        In the Panorama Editor screen choose individual images then use a left
        mouse button to move and right to rotate. It should go pretty fast. If
        you need more precession you can try zooming in on the canvas and then
        moving the entire panorama around.

        If you do want to use control points then you will want to only optimize
        rotate and d & e parameters. If you are using the Pro version of PTGui
        then you can try instead of d & e use the
        viewpoint.

        A GUI front end that used PT and thumbnails for this purpose would not
        be too difficult to do. I have thought of doing it in the past but this
        is the kind of thing Photoshop can do really well. I have not created
        any of these after I switched to digital.

        This is the first time to see a collection of this works on Flickr. It
        is inspirational to do some more.

        Best of luck.

        Jim

        --
        Jim Watters

        Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        http://photocreations.ca
      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2008
          Sometime around 4/1/08 (at 04:55 +0000) stubish said:

          >I'm wanting to get into some panographies. More along the line
          >of Hockneys works.
          >
          >http://www.flickr.com/groups/panography/pool/ is allot of examples.
          >
          >Now the problems i'm having is that I can't seem to tell PTgui to
          >simply rotate and align the pics, it always wants to skew them or fix
          >the field of view.

          Actually, I did something like that quite a long time ago as a
          creative experiment. I used Photoshop to make the 'unaligned'
          composite image and then processed the image using VRWorx. It is just
          a cylindrical pano - you can still see it here:
          http://homepage.mac.com/thatkeith/Cubism/cubism.html

          Thanks for the link to Flikr panographies, I'd not heard of that as a
          term, although I'd seen some Hockney things before.

          But no, I don't know how to get PTGui to stop being so good! Perhaps
          someone else can suggest things to do, permaybe you'll have to put
          things together manually. This might make equirectangular panos
          rather difficult, but maybe by working onto cube faces and going
          between Photoshop and CubicConverter you could get somewhere
          satisfying?