Re: Any suggestions for attaching a laptop to a tripod with a panohead on it?

  • Alan Sharp
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
      You might look at the RAM Mount products. http://www.ram-mount.com

      they make a myriad of mounting systems for many kinds of electronics and I've often
      thought of getting them to figure something out for my laptop. certainly would beat
      kneeling on the ground or tripping over the cables.

      Al Sharp

    • salino@canl.nc
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
        Hi Blake

        I have a manfrotto tripod with a dolly. Looking at this device, I'm sure
        it is easy to put a platform on the dolly.

        And it looks definitively professionnal - now I have it, I think I bought
        it for the look...

        Dominique Salino
        Nouméa,
        New Caledonia,
        The closest Island to Paradise

        Le 3/1/2008, "Blake Michaelson" <blake.michaelson@...> a écrit:

        >Hi All,
        >
        >Happy New Year!
        >
        >I was playing with Enfuse (LOVE it), and thinking of getting DSLR Remote Pro
        >to allow for more than 3x bracketing of exposures with my Canon 20D. I
        >though a tethered laptop would have several positive attributes on a pano
        >rig, but couldn't figure out how to mount it under the tripod. I'd really
        >like to be able to have it slung under the tripod or set on a platform that
        >possibly attaches to the legs of a tripod.
        >
        >I found this example, but might require a tripod with "double leg" legs, and
        >quite honestly would prefer something a bit lighter in weight and more
        >presentable to clients: *http://tinyurl.com/2s9goe
        >
        >*I use a Manfrotto 3001BPRO for legs: *http://tinyurl.com/2vaql3*
        >
        >Basically just looking for a professional looking way to attach my laptop
        >under my tripod - any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated!
        >
        >TIA - Blake

      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
          On 3 Jan 2008 at 22:54, Alan Sharp wrote:

          > You might look at the RAM Mount products. http://www.ram-mount.com
          >
          > they make a myriad of mounting systems for many kinds of electronics and I've often
          > thought of getting them to figure something out for my laptop. certainly would beat
          > kneeling on the ground or tripping over the cables.

          I second that suggestion. I have several of the parts from RAM, for mounting a PDA in the
          car, on the motor cycle, or a camera different places in the car, on a tube (like hanging
          below the tripod center pole). And they can be combined in many different configurations.
          I'm sure they have brackets for laptops as well. Very sturdy and solid stuff.
          And the weight hanging below your center pole would just be a bonus?
        • Chris Thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
            This could be your answer….

            http://www.ram-mount.com/index_files/laptopcamera1.jpg

            Chris Thomas

            Photographer

            cell... 403-615-1212

            In North America

            call... 1-800-870-5110

            <http://www.ram-mount.com> mount.com

            > they make a myriad of mounting systems for many kinds of electronics and
            I've often
            > thought of getting them to figure something out for my laptop. certainly
            would beat
            > kneeling on the ground or tripping over the cables.
            [Chris Thomas] snip.

            .

            d=16039/stime=1199407099/nc1=3848643/nc2=4025321/nc3=5028925>

          • Carel
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2008
              Blake Michaelson wrote:

              > ...<snip>...
              > I'd really
              > like to be able to have it slung under the tripod or set on a platform
              > that
              > possibly attaches to the legs of a tripod.
              >
              > TIA - Blake
              >

              >$400 for a RAM bracket setup....? With all of that attached to a tripod, it
              will not be easy to move from room to room when shooting inside a house.
              With the laptop under your tripod, you loose much of the advantage of having
              a big screen. I have shot several home vr tours (about 8 panos per tour)
              with an old IBM Thinkpad hand-held. I would walk the camera mounted on the
              tripod from one room to the next, with the laptop in my other hand. When I
              got tired of that, I got a mini PC tablet (Raon Vega). This works very well
              and is small enough to put in my pocket, while still attached & running, so
              I can grab the tripod with two hands. I see that Luca got a Samsung Q1,
              which has a nice thumb-keyboard. DSLR Remote Pro works great and is even
              scriptable to shoot bracketed THREE exposures apart, which according to
              Andreas, (FDRTools) will work fine for HDR. I have not tried the scripting
              yet, but 3 stops apart would mean that most scenes could be covered with
              just 2 or three exposures.

              Carel Struycken