Re: [PanoToolsNG] Yet more HDR software...

  • rogerhoward@rogerroger.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
      On Jan 2, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Ian Wood wrote:

      > <http://creaceed.com/hydra/>
      >
      > Looks like it might be an interesting bit of 'HDR for people who don't
      > want to learn about HDR' software, including some morphing features
      > for alignment.

      Personally, since I don't do any CGI work, I really *don't* want to
      learn about HDR any further than necessary to make purty pictures...
      it's not that I'm not technically interested, but for me (and I'd
      imagine the majority of users) I just want to know enough to get good
      results - lately seeing what Enfuse is capable of in this regard,
      compared to the vast amounts of time many of us have spent trying to
      get good results from a conventional HDR->LDR workflow, the more hard
      work the software does for me, the better :)

      Put another way, it seemed like no matter how much I thought I knew
      about HDR->LDR processing, I couldn't get reliably good results
      without at least as much work as I did in conventional exposure
      masking/blending workflows. Then I used enfuse and immediately
      remembered that it wasn't the "HDR" part of the workflow I caredabout
      - it was all about getting good LDR results, through any means
      available.

      I've been trying to make HDR->LDR workflow work for me since around
      2001-2 when I was at The Getty, using HDRShop and the tonemapper.exe
      plugin (as well as CinePaint and a few other rare tools at the
      time)... anything that comes along that makes that pain go way is
      interesting, even if it means totally dumbing it down. Hell, 90% of
      the tests I've done with enfuse have given me better results (in my
      subjective assessment!) on the first pass, using default settings,
      than anything I was ever able to get with a tonemapper from PhotoMatix
      or elsewhere.

      My 3 or 4c :)

      -R
    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
        On Jan 2, 2008, at 9:32 PM, rogerhoward@... wrote:

        > 90% of
        > the tests I've done with enfuse have given me better results (in my
        > subjective assessment!) on the first pass, using default settings,
        > than anything I was ever able to get with a tonemapper from PhotoMatix
        > or elsewhere.

        +1!

        John

        John Riley