Yet more HDR software...

  • Ian Wood
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
      <http://creaceed.com/hydra/>

      Looks like it might be an interesting bit of 'HDR for people who don't
      want to learn about HDR' software, including some morphing features
      for alignment.

      From a programming point of view it's GPU-based, and not just Mac-
      only but Leopard-only, being based on quite a few of the new Core
      frameworks.

      Oh, and it's not out until MacWorld...

      Ian

      P.S. And the designers have obviously spent *far* too much time
      studying Aperture's GUI. ;-)
    • rogerhoward@rogerroger.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
        On Jan 2, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Ian Wood wrote:

        > <http://creaceed.com/hydra/>
        >
        > Looks like it might be an interesting bit of 'HDR for people who don't
        > want to learn about HDR' software, including some morphing features
        > for alignment.

        Personally, since I don't do any CGI work, I really *don't* want to
        learn about HDR any further than necessary to make purty pictures...
        it's not that I'm not technically interested, but for me (and I'd
        imagine the majority of users) I just want to know enough to get good
        results - lately seeing what Enfuse is capable of in this regard,
        compared to the vast amounts of time many of us have spent trying to
        get good results from a conventional HDR->LDR workflow, the more hard
        work the software does for me, the better :)

        Put another way, it seemed like no matter how much I thought I knew
        about HDR->LDR processing, I couldn't get reliably good results
        without at least as much work as I did in conventional exposure
        masking/blending workflows. Then I used enfuse and immediately
        remembered that it wasn't the "HDR" part of the workflow I caredabout
        - it was all about getting good LDR results, through any means
        available.

        I've been trying to make HDR->LDR workflow work for me since around
        2001-2 when I was at The Getty, using HDRShop and the tonemapper.exe
        plugin (as well as CinePaint and a few other rare tools at the
        time)... anything that comes along that makes that pain go way is
        interesting, even if it means totally dumbing it down. Hell, 90% of
        the tests I've done with enfuse have given me better results (in my
        subjective assessment!) on the first pass, using default settings,
        than anything I was ever able to get with a tonemapper from PhotoMatix
        or elsewhere.

        My 3 or 4c :)

        -R
      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
          On Jan 2, 2008, at 9:32 PM, rogerhoward@... wrote:

          > 90% of
          > the tests I've done with enfuse have given me better results (in my
          > subjective assessment!) on the first pass, using default settings,
          > than anything I was ever able to get with a tonemapper from PhotoMatix
          > or elsewhere.

          +1!

          John

          John Riley