Re: [PanoToolsNG] sigma 8 mm on ebay

  • Luca Vascon
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
      Nelson, I ve a friend whose name is Rui Goncalves...
      Acho que se mora ainda em portugal tem que ser na cerca de Aveiro...

      nelsonmdgoncalves ha scritto:

      > Hi,
      >
      > The best 2008 for all.
      >
      > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
      > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers. Their price is half the price I
      > can find in the European shops.
      > If so, are these lens reliable? genuine Sigma?
      > Good or bad experience comments on this would be appreciated.
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Nelson Gonçalves / Contacto Visual - Portugal
      > www.contactovisual.pt

    • pra9matiste
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hi Nelson

        I forgot to mention... maybe the price dropp is due to Sigma upcoming
        new fully cirular lense for DX DSLRs, the 4,5mm f2.8

        http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3377

        If i had the budget, i would definitely wait and the the new one !

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "nelsonmdgoncalves" <nelson@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > The best 2008 for all.
        >
        > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
        > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers. Their price is half the price I
        > can find in the European shops.
        > If so, are these lens reliable? genuine Sigma?
        > Good or bad experience comments on this would be appreciated.
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Nelson Gonçalves / Contacto Visual - Portugal
        > www.contactovisual.pt

      • Nelson Gonçalves
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
          > Posted by: "John Houghton" j.houghton@... panostar
          > Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:25 am (PST)
          >
          > Nelson, I have bought two lenses from UR Galaxy Ltd., one of which was
          > a Sigma 8mm f/3.5. Both were fine, and on neither shipment did I have
          > to pay any UK taxes. Delivery was less than a week each time, as I
          > recall.
          >
          > John

          Thank you John.

          > Nelson, my Sigma 8mm 3.5 is also from UR Galaxy I also bought recently
          > another one from the same reseller for a friend of mine and it
          > arrived and works perfectly
          > Some panos I made with this lens are on my website near to those made
          > with 18-55mm lens
          > http://www.dxn.ro/en/panorama.html
          >
          > Dorin

          Thank you Dorin. Saw the panos. Really great quality, specially those
          interiors with the Canon 18-55 mm

          Regards from

          Nelson Gonçalves
          ContactoVisual
          Portugal
          www.contactovisual.pt

        • Nelson Gonçalves
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
            > Posted by: "pra9matiste" laurentsj@... pra9matiste
            > Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:03 am (PST)
            >
            > I bought a sigma 8mm 3,5f from ebay HongKong sellers, and i cannot see
            > anything wrong with them.
            >
            > Laurent

            > Posted by: "pra9matiste" laurentsj@... pra9matiste
            > Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:14 pm (PST)
            >
            > Hi Nelson
            >
            > I forgot to mention... maybe the price dropp is due to Sigma upcoming
            > new fully cirular lense for DX DSLRs, the 4,5mm f2.8
            >
            > http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3377
            >
            > If i had the budget, i would definitely wait and the the new one !

            Thank you Laurent. That makes me feel more confident.
            This buy is a step, and money matters! I currently use a Nikon 8800 +
            FCE9 fisheye adapter, and we make panoramas for tourism (hotel)
            websites, real estate, and some cultural collections.
            An example of our work: http://www.contactovisual.pt/ccg/
            castelo_lanhoso/index.html
            or a website: http://www.axishoteisegolfe.com/golfe/golf_course.php?
            pano=15&lang=en
            I read the Sigma press-release, but it looks as it requires some
            particular cameras ("It is exclusively designed for digital SLR
            cameras with the APS-C size image sensor"). We have a Canon 350d, and
            the lens is to be used with this camera.
            Any way, I will dig a little more, and check on the prices.
            Thank you again.

            > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
            > Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:36 pm (PST)
            >
            > Nelson, I ve a friend whose name is Rui Goncalves...
            > Acho que se mora ainda em portugal tem que ser na cerca de Aveiro...

            Not related. I live in Esposende, in the north of Portugal. Take a
            look here: www.esposende.com.pt

            Regards from

            Nelson Gonçalves
            ContactoVisual
            Portugal
            www.contactovisual.pt

          • Pat Swovelin
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008
              On 1/3/2008 2:01 AM, Nelson Gonçalves rambled on about ...:
              > Thank you Laurent. That makes me feel more confident.
              > This buy is a step, and money matters! I currently use a Nikon 8800 +
              > FCE9 fisheye adapter, and we make panoramas for tourism (hotel)
              > websites, real estate, and some cultural collections.
              > An example of our work: http://www.contactovisual.pt/ccg/
              > castelo_lanhoso/index.html
              > or a website: http://www.axishoteisegolfe.com/golfe/golf_course.php?
              > pano=15&lang=en
              > I read the Sigma press-release, but it looks as it requires some
              > particular cameras ("It is exclusively designed for digital SLR
              > cameras with the APS-C size image sensor"). We have a Canon 350d, and
              > the lens is to be used with this camera.

              The Canon 350D *is* an APC-C sensor body and the lens *is* designed for
              that sensor size so you can buy it with confidence (knowing that it
              *will* fit that camera body). OTOH it won't work if you upgrade to a
              fullframe sensor (e.g., the 5D, 10D, etc.).

              > Any way, I will dig a little more, and check on the prices.
              > Thank you again.

              Pat Swovelin
              Cool Guy @ Large
            • michel thoby
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2008
                Le 6 janv. 08 à 04:52, Pat Swovelin a écrit :

                > The Canon 350D *is* an APC-C sensor body and the lens *is* designed
                > for
                > that sensor size so you can buy it with confidence (knowing that it
                > *will* fit that camera body). OTOH it won't work if you upgrade to a
                > fullframe sensor (e.g., the 5D, 10D, etc.).

                Hi Pat,

                IMHO this thread may now bewilder the present or future reader as I
                have been myself got confused. There are inconsistencies between the
                title and the message content(s) that were probably introduced by
                successive partial quoting...

                I shall attempt to summarize the facts in a correct way (dealing with
                commercially available current products).

                Referring to the title of the thread: AFAIK both the 8 mm Sigma
                lenses (both "old" f/4 and "new" f/3.5) were designed for full-frame
                35 mm format. Especially in the first instance, the intent was
                originally to get a non-cropped circular fisheye image on... 35-mm
                film for scientific purposes (This lens is not manufactured anymore
                but still widely used by this community).
                In any case, both lenses *can* and *are* being used also on APS-c or
                APS-h camera without inconvenience by numerous panographers (me
                included).

                That said, it may happen that an APS-c camera gives a higher
                resolution output panorama than a FF camera depending on respective
                pixels / deg of FOV density and using the same lens, although it
                would be needed to shoot more pictures to cover the full sphere.

                By contrast, the new 4.5 mm and 10 mm Sigma fisheye lenses that are
                supposed to be available this month, are said by Sigma to be
                specifically designed for APS-c. The 4.5 mm lens is explicitly
                intended to replace the 8 mm for scientific purposes when the
                experimenter doesn't own a FF DSLR.
                I am however convinced that both could be used when fitted on a FF
                camera and I bet that somebody shall soon shave the sunshield of the
                10 mm model and shall measure the *actual* FOV of both fisheyes ;-)

                Both the Nikkor 10.5 mm and the Tokina 10-17 mm that were also
                claimed by their manufacturers to be useable only on APS-c cameras,
                are actually and wonderfully performing on the EOS 5D and 1Ds (as
                well as on the Nikon D3, after shaving or not)...
                I believe nobody has yet successfully mated and used the Olympus 8 mm
                on a Canon DSLR, although I may be corrected.

                Finally, some of us are also eagerly waiting to get and use the Sunex
                5.6 mm fisheye that is intended to produce a full circular image even
                on APS-c. I can understand that impatience when knowing that it
                should be the first lens that shall allow auto-stitching of only two
                hemispheric images (with a DSLR) while outputting decent quality
                panography, thanks to 185 deg FOV (the Sigma's are said to be
                unfortunately strictly 180 deg).
                To be exact and comprehensive, the Coastal Optical 4.88 mm (aka IPIX-
                MEV) 4.88 mm fisheye is allowing to do the same, but for about six
                times the price of the "superfisheye" from Sunex.

                BTW Pat, aren't you confusing EOS 10D with EOS 1Ds?

                Regards,

                Michel

              • Pat Swovelin
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 6, 2008
                  On 1/6/2008 3:24 AM, michel thoby's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                  and typed ...:
                  > Le 6 janv. 08 à 04:52, Pat Swovelin a écrit :
                  >
                  >> The Canon 350D *is* an APC-C sensor body and the lens *is* designed
                  >> for
                  >> that sensor size so you can buy it with confidence (knowing that it
                  >> *will* fit that camera body). OTOH it won't work if you upgrade to a
                  >> fullframe sensor (e.g., the 5D, 10D, etc.).
                  >
                  > Hi Pat,
                  >
                  > IMHO this thread may now bewilder the present or future reader as I
                  > have been myself got confused. There are inconsistencies between the
                  > title and the message content(s) that were probably introduced by
                  > successive partial quoting...

                  My reply above was in reference to the poster's desire to get the new
                  Sigma 4.5mm (the text directly above my quote) which is designed for an
                  APS-C sensor.

                  > I am however convinced that both could be used when fitted on a FF
                  > camera and I bet that somebody shall soon shave the sunshield of the
                  > 10 mm model and shall measure the *actual* FOV of both fisheyes ;-)

                  And we know who's going to be doing that, don't we? =8^)

                  > BTW Pat, aren't you confusing EOS 10D with EOS 1Ds?

                  So I left off a wimpy zero and a zero is nothing. So if I missed by
                  nothing then it's a direct hit and I'm correct.

                  How's that for circular logic? =8^)

                  Thanks for the catch.

                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Michel