Re: PTGui Pro 7.5 Error on Stitching

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "marlanit" <marlan@...> wrote:

      > Is thare a Front-End for Enblend for Mac?

      Yes X-blend from kekus.com

      Hans
    • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
        Hi Marco,

        marlanit wrote:
        > "jnMMF::CreateFile: fopen: Too many open files in system (23)"
        > You can see the "Create Panorama" Tab here:
        > <http://digilander.libero.it/marcolanciani/Error.jpg>

        During blending, PTGui keeps several file handles open for each source
        image. OSX supports tens of thousands simultaneous file handles, but
        appearently this is not the case for your network disk.

        I don't think there's much to do other than getting an internal, usb or
        firewire disk for the temp files. The ulimit trick mentioned elsewhere
        probably doesn't work since PTGui already does this on startup.

        Joost
      • marlanit
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
          Hi Joost,

          another project is already started. As suggested by Roger I launched
          PTGui through Terminal typing the ulimit command, then enter, and then
          open PTGui in the same window draging the PTGui icon after "open ".
          Got it right?
          I do added the second Roger's suggestion outputting as "individual
          leyers only"...

          I'll let you know...

          You're suggesting a usb/firewire disk as a solution for temp files but
          isn't this solution pretty much the same as the networked RAID disk
          solution, with the disadvantage of less space then the RAID, which has
          Terabytes available?

          By the way, I just want to remember my setup:
          iMac 20", intel Core2Duo 2Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
          PTgui Pro 7.5 into the internal HD, Original Images and Temp Files on
          the RAID.
          If I forgot usefull information, please tell me...so, what would it be
          your suggested setup, and/or file position, for the next try, if that
          one in progress will give another error?

          PS: PTgui needs a speed up in importing and managing huge file. No
          less than 10X...I tryed importing 100MB files and 500MB files: its a
          great ammount of time before to start and so navigating between tabs,
          even more changing image in the "Control Point" Tab...hope to see
          improvements soon... :-)

          Best Regards
          Marco Lanciani
        • Joergen Geerds
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
            i think i agree with joost that your network raid is
            actually the bottleneck in your equation. i recently
            stitched a 1.4gpx pano from 200 10mpx 16bit tiffs, and
            the temp files were while working were about 6gb, and
            the stitcher/blender requested 200gb temp space for
            blending (intel imac). i never run into a situation
            where there wasn't enough space, or was ptgui unable
            to finish the stitch/blend. it's a quite amazing piece
            of software.

            so a cheap external 250gb firewire400 disk does the
            trick, of course a fw800 raid will give you a slight
            speed/space advantage.

            another project with scanned 100-400mb tiffs went
            without a problem . of course, each tile must be
            loaded from temp for display, and loading a 100mb file
            takes 1-2 sec (probably 10 sec for your network raid).
            yes, ptgui could keep some more image data in the
            available ram cache, but that would turn it into a
            ram-hog, which isn't really necessary for production.

            so please stop whining&complaining about your network
            raid and get a €100 external 500GB FW.

            if you really want to know how slow your network raid
            is, google "helios lantest", download it and see for
            yourself how slow your raid is.

            joergen

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • marlanit
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joergen Geerds <joergengeerds@...>
              wrote:

              > another project with scanned 100-400mb tiffs went
              > without a problem . of course, each tile must be
              > loaded from temp for display, and loading a 100mb file
              > takes 1-2 sec (probably 10 sec for your network raid).

              Hi Joergen,

              yes, you are right, they are tens of seconds for images to load...But
              the project I'm working on is just 1/3 of the full mosaic, so
              everything will triple, that is 144 files, 117MB eachone...If the raid
              is just a question of speed doesn't matter... :-)
              Thanks

              Regards
              Marco Lanciani