Re: sigma 8 mm on ebay

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "nelsonmdgoncalves" <nelson@...>
      wrote:

      > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
      > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers.

      Nelson, I have bought two lenses from UR Galaxy Ltd., one of which was
      a Sigma 8mm f/3.5. Both were fine, and on neither shipment did I have
      to pay any UK taxes. Delivery was less than a week each time, as I
      recall.

      John
    • dorindxn
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "nelsonmdgoncalves" <nelson@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
        > > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers.
        >
        > Nelson, I have bought two lenses from UR Galaxy Ltd., one of which was
        > a Sigma 8mm f/3.5. Both were fine, and on neither shipment did I have
        > to pay any UK taxes. Delivery was less than a week each time, as I
        > recall.
        >
        > John

        Nelson, my Sigma 8mm 3.5 is also from UR Galaxy I also bought recently
        another one from the same reseller for a friend of mine and it
        arrived and works perfectly
        Some panos I made with this lens are on my website near to those made
        with 18-55mm lens
        http://www.dxn.ro/en/panorama.html

        Dorin
      • pra9matiste
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
          I bought a sigma 8mm 3,5f from ebay HongKong sellers, and i cannot see
          anything wrong with them.

          Laurent

          wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > The best 2008 for all.
          >
          > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
          > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers. Their price is half the price I
          > can find in the European shops.
          > If so, are these lens reliable? genuine Sigma?
          > Good or bad experience comments on this would be appreciated.
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Nelson Gonçalves / Contacto Visual - Portugal
          > www.contactovisual.pt

        • pra9matiste
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008

            wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > The best 2008 for all.
            >
            > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
            > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers. Their price is half the price I
            > can find in the European shops.
            > If so, are these lens reliable? genuine Sigma?
            > Good or bad experience comments on this would be appreciated.
            > Thank you.
            >
            > Nelson Gonçalves / Contacto Visual - Portugal
            > www.contactovisual.pt

          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
              Nelson, I ve a friend whose name is Rui Goncalves...
              Acho que se mora ainda em portugal tem que ser na cerca de Aveiro...

              nelsonmdgoncalves ha scritto:

              > Hi,
              >
              > The best 2008 for all.
              >
              > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
              > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers. Their price is half the price I
              > can find in the European shops.
              > If so, are these lens reliable? genuine Sigma?
              > Good or bad experience comments on this would be appreciated.
              > Thank you.
              >
              > Nelson Gonçalves / Contacto Visual - Portugal
              > www.contactovisual.pt

            • pra9matiste
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                Hi Nelson

                I forgot to mention... maybe the price dropp is due to Sigma upcoming
                new fully cirular lense for DX DSLRs, the 4,5mm f2.8

                http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3377

                If i had the budget, i would definitely wait and the the new one !

                wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > The best 2008 for all.
                >
                > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
                > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers. Their price is half the price I
                > can find in the European shops.
                > If so, are these lens reliable? genuine Sigma?
                > Good or bad experience comments on this would be appreciated.
                > Thank you.
                >
                > Nelson Gonçalves / Contacto Visual - Portugal
                > www.contactovisual.pt

              • Nelson Gonçalves
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
                  > Posted by: "John Houghton" j.houghton@... panostar
                  > Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:25 am (PST)
                  >
                  > Nelson, I have bought two lenses from UR Galaxy Ltd., one of which was
                  > a Sigma 8mm f/3.5. Both were fine, and on neither shipment did I have
                  > to pay any UK taxes. Delivery was less than a week each time, as I
                  > recall.
                  >
                  > John

                  Thank you John.

                  > Nelson, my Sigma 8mm 3.5 is also from UR Galaxy I also bought recently
                  > another one from the same reseller for a friend of mine and it
                  > arrived and works perfectly
                  > Some panos I made with this lens are on my website near to those made
                  > with 18-55mm lens
                  > http://www.dxn.ro/en/panorama.html
                  >
                  > Dorin

                  Thank you Dorin. Saw the panos. Really great quality, specially those
                  interiors with the Canon 18-55 mm

                  Regards from

                  Nelson Gonçalves
                  ContactoVisual
                  Portugal
                  www.contactovisual.pt

                • Nelson Gonçalves
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
                    > Posted by: "pra9matiste" laurentsj@... pra9matiste
                    > Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:03 am (PST)
                    >
                    > I bought a sigma 8mm 3,5f from ebay HongKong sellers, and i cannot see
                    > anything wrong with them.
                    >
                    > Laurent

                    > Posted by: "pra9matiste" laurentsj@... pra9matiste
                    > Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:14 pm (PST)
                    >
                    > Hi Nelson
                    >
                    > I forgot to mention... maybe the price dropp is due to Sigma upcoming
                    > new fully cirular lense for DX DSLRs, the 4,5mm f2.8
                    >
                    > http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3377
                    >
                    > If i had the budget, i would definitely wait and the the new one !

                    Thank you Laurent. That makes me feel more confident.
                    This buy is a step, and money matters! I currently use a Nikon 8800 +
                    FCE9 fisheye adapter, and we make panoramas for tourism (hotel)
                    websites, real estate, and some cultural collections.
                    An example of our work: http://www.contactovisual.pt/ccg/
                    castelo_lanhoso/index.html
                    or a website: http://www.axishoteisegolfe.com/golfe/golf_course.php?
                    pano=15&lang=en
                    I read the Sigma press-release, but it looks as it requires some
                    particular cameras ("It is exclusively designed for digital SLR
                    cameras with the APS-C size image sensor"). We have a Canon 350d, and
                    the lens is to be used with this camera.
                    Any way, I will dig a little more, and check on the prices.
                    Thank you again.

                    > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
                    > Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:36 pm (PST)
                    >
                    > Nelson, I ve a friend whose name is Rui Goncalves...
                    > Acho que se mora ainda em portugal tem que ser na cerca de Aveiro...

                    Not related. I live in Esposende, in the north of Portugal. Take a
                    look here: www.esposende.com.pt

                    Regards from

                    Nelson Gonçalves
                    ContactoVisual
                    Portugal
                    www.contactovisual.pt

                  • Pat Swovelin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008
                      On 1/3/2008 2:01 AM, Nelson Gonçalves rambled on about ...:
                      > Thank you Laurent. That makes me feel more confident.
                      > This buy is a step, and money matters! I currently use a Nikon 8800 +
                      > FCE9 fisheye adapter, and we make panoramas for tourism (hotel)
                      > websites, real estate, and some cultural collections.
                      > An example of our work: http://www.contactovisual.pt/ccg/
                      > castelo_lanhoso/index.html
                      > or a website: http://www.axishoteisegolfe.com/golfe/golf_course.php?
                      > pano=15&lang=en
                      > I read the Sigma press-release, but it looks as it requires some
                      > particular cameras ("It is exclusively designed for digital SLR
                      > cameras with the APS-C size image sensor"). We have a Canon 350d, and
                      > the lens is to be used with this camera.

                      The Canon 350D *is* an APC-C sensor body and the lens *is* designed for
                      that sensor size so you can buy it with confidence (knowing that it
                      *will* fit that camera body). OTOH it won't work if you upgrade to a
                      fullframe sensor (e.g., the 5D, 10D, etc.).

                      > Any way, I will dig a little more, and check on the prices.
                      > Thank you again.

                      Pat Swovelin
                      Cool Guy @ Large
                    • michel thoby
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2008
                        Le 6 janv. 08 à 04:52, Pat Swovelin a écrit :

                        > The Canon 350D *is* an APC-C sensor body and the lens *is* designed
                        > for
                        > that sensor size so you can buy it with confidence (knowing that it
                        > *will* fit that camera body). OTOH it won't work if you upgrade to a
                        > fullframe sensor (e.g., the 5D, 10D, etc.).

                        Hi Pat,

                        IMHO this thread may now bewilder the present or future reader as I
                        have been myself got confused. There are inconsistencies between the
                        title and the message content(s) that were probably introduced by
                        successive partial quoting...

                        I shall attempt to summarize the facts in a correct way (dealing with
                        commercially available current products).

                        Referring to the title of the thread: AFAIK both the 8 mm Sigma
                        lenses (both "old" f/4 and "new" f/3.5) were designed for full-frame
                        35 mm format. Especially in the first instance, the intent was
                        originally to get a non-cropped circular fisheye image on... 35-mm
                        film for scientific purposes (This lens is not manufactured anymore
                        but still widely used by this community).
                        In any case, both lenses *can* and *are* being used also on APS-c or
                        APS-h camera without inconvenience by numerous panographers (me
                        included).

                        That said, it may happen that an APS-c camera gives a higher
                        resolution output panorama than a FF camera depending on respective
                        pixels / deg of FOV density and using the same lens, although it
                        would be needed to shoot more pictures to cover the full sphere.

                        By contrast, the new 4.5 mm and 10 mm Sigma fisheye lenses that are
                        supposed to be available this month, are said by Sigma to be
                        specifically designed for APS-c. The 4.5 mm lens is explicitly
                        intended to replace the 8 mm for scientific purposes when the
                        experimenter doesn't own a FF DSLR.
                        I am however convinced that both could be used when fitted on a FF
                        camera and I bet that somebody shall soon shave the sunshield of the
                        10 mm model and shall measure the *actual* FOV of both fisheyes ;-)

                        Both the Nikkor 10.5 mm and the Tokina 10-17 mm that were also
                        claimed by their manufacturers to be useable only on APS-c cameras,
                        are actually and wonderfully performing on the EOS 5D and 1Ds (as
                        well as on the Nikon D3, after shaving or not)...
                        I believe nobody has yet successfully mated and used the Olympus 8 mm
                        on a Canon DSLR, although I may be corrected.

                        Finally, some of us are also eagerly waiting to get and use the Sunex
                        5.6 mm fisheye that is intended to produce a full circular image even
                        on APS-c. I can understand that impatience when knowing that it
                        should be the first lens that shall allow auto-stitching of only two
                        hemispheric images (with a DSLR) while outputting decent quality
                        panography, thanks to 185 deg FOV (the Sigma's are said to be
                        unfortunately strictly 180 deg).
                        To be exact and comprehensive, the Coastal Optical 4.88 mm (aka IPIX-
                        MEV) 4.88 mm fisheye is allowing to do the same, but for about six
                        times the price of the "superfisheye" from Sunex.

                        BTW Pat, aren't you confusing EOS 10D with EOS 1Ds?

                        Regards,

                        Michel

                      • Pat Swovelin
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2008
                          On 1/6/2008 3:24 AM, michel thoby's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                          and typed ...:
                          > Le 6 janv. 08 à 04:52, Pat Swovelin a écrit :
                          >
                          >> The Canon 350D *is* an APC-C sensor body and the lens *is* designed
                          >> for
                          >> that sensor size so you can buy it with confidence (knowing that it
                          >> *will* fit that camera body). OTOH it won't work if you upgrade to a
                          >> fullframe sensor (e.g., the 5D, 10D, etc.).
                          >
                          > Hi Pat,
                          >
                          > IMHO this thread may now bewilder the present or future reader as I
                          > have been myself got confused. There are inconsistencies between the
                          > title and the message content(s) that were probably introduced by
                          > successive partial quoting...

                          My reply above was in reference to the poster's desire to get the new
                          Sigma 4.5mm (the text directly above my quote) which is designed for an
                          APS-C sensor.

                          > I am however convinced that both could be used when fitted on a FF
                          > camera and I bet that somebody shall soon shave the sunshield of the
                          > 10 mm model and shall measure the *actual* FOV of both fisheyes ;-)

                          And we know who's going to be doing that, don't we? =8^)

                          > BTW Pat, aren't you confusing EOS 10D with EOS 1Ds?

                          So I left off a wimpy zero and a zero is nothing. So if I missed by
                          nothing then it's a direct hit and I'm correct.

                          How's that for circular logic? =8^)

                          Thanks for the catch.

                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Michel