Re: [PanoToolsNG] PTGui Pro 7.5 Error on Stitching

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
      I don't think a bigger drive is in order - my guess is the temp files
      being created are exceeding the open file limit on your machine. I've
      not had this problem before but I've seen a previous mention of this
      with PTGUI:

      http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng/2066

      It might be easier on your system to output individual layers to TIFFs
      and feed those into Enblend to get around this, or first try the ulimit
      fix in the article I linked above.

      -R
    • marlanit
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

        > I don't think a bigger drive is in order - my guess is the temp files
        > being created are exceeding the open file limit on your machine. I've
        > not had this problem before but I've seen a previous mention of this
        > with PTGUI:
        >
        > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng/2066

        Please, what is the procedure to launch PTGui from Terminal?

        > It might be easier on your system to output individual layers to TIFFs
        > and feed those into Enblend to get around this,

        Is thare a Front-End for Enblend for Mac?

        Thanks very much for your help.
      • Eric O'Brien
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
          On the Mac, to open a file from the Terminal, type open, then the
          path to the file.

          Like

          open /Applications/PTGui\ Pro/PTGui\ Pro/

          Of course, you don't want to have to type that... make the PTGui
          application visible in the Finder then in the terminal, type open and
          a space character, then drag the PTGui icon into the Terminal
          window. The path will be filled in for you. Press return and PTGui
          should launch.

          eo

          On Jan 2, 2008, at 9:24 AM, marlanit wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> I don't think a bigger drive is in order - my guess is the temp files
          >> being created are exceeding the open file limit on your machine. I've
          >> not had this problem before but I've seen a previous mention of this
          >> with PTGUI:
          >>
          >> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng/2066
          >

          > Please, what is the procedure to launch PTGui from Terminal?
          >

          >> It might be easier on your system to output individual layers to
          >> TIFFs
          >> and feed those into Enblend to get around this,
          >

          > Is thare a Front-End for Enblend for Mac?
          >

          > Thanks very much for your help.
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "marlanit" <marlan@...> wrote:

            > Is thare a Front-End for Enblend for Mac?

            Yes X-blend from kekus.com

            Hans
          • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
              Hi Marco,

              marlanit wrote:
              > "jnMMF::CreateFile: fopen: Too many open files in system (23)"
              > You can see the "Create Panorama" Tab here:
              > <http://digilander.libero.it/marcolanciani/Error.jpg>

              During blending, PTGui keeps several file handles open for each source
              image. OSX supports tens of thousands simultaneous file handles, but
              appearently this is not the case for your network disk.

              I don't think there's much to do other than getting an internal, usb or
              firewire disk for the temp files. The ulimit trick mentioned elsewhere
              probably doesn't work since PTGui already does this on startup.

              Joost
            • marlanit
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
                Hi Joost,

                another project is already started. As suggested by Roger I launched
                PTGui through Terminal typing the ulimit command, then enter, and then
                open PTGui in the same window draging the PTGui icon after "open ".
                Got it right?
                I do added the second Roger's suggestion outputting as "individual
                leyers only"...

                I'll let you know...

                You're suggesting a usb/firewire disk as a solution for temp files but
                isn't this solution pretty much the same as the networked RAID disk
                solution, with the disadvantage of less space then the RAID, which has
                Terabytes available?

                By the way, I just want to remember my setup:
                iMac 20", intel Core2Duo 2Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
                PTgui Pro 7.5 into the internal HD, Original Images and Temp Files on
                the RAID.
                If I forgot usefull information, please tell me...so, what would it be
                your suggested setup, and/or file position, for the next try, if that
                one in progress will give another error?

                PS: PTgui needs a speed up in importing and managing huge file. No
                less than 10X...I tryed importing 100MB files and 500MB files: its a
                great ammount of time before to start and so navigating between tabs,
                even more changing image in the "Control Point" Tab...hope to see
                improvements soon... :-)

                Best Regards
                Marco Lanciani
              • Joergen Geerds
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
                  i think i agree with joost that your network raid is
                  actually the bottleneck in your equation. i recently
                  stitched a 1.4gpx pano from 200 10mpx 16bit tiffs, and
                  the temp files were while working were about 6gb, and
                  the stitcher/blender requested 200gb temp space for
                  blending (intel imac). i never run into a situation
                  where there wasn't enough space, or was ptgui unable
                  to finish the stitch/blend. it's a quite amazing piece
                  of software.

                  so a cheap external 250gb firewire400 disk does the
                  trick, of course a fw800 raid will give you a slight
                  speed/space advantage.

                  another project with scanned 100-400mb tiffs went
                  without a problem . of course, each tile must be
                  loaded from temp for display, and loading a 100mb file
                  takes 1-2 sec (probably 10 sec for your network raid).
                  yes, ptgui could keep some more image data in the
                  available ram cache, but that would turn it into a
                  ram-hog, which isn't really necessary for production.

                  so please stop whining&complaining about your network
                  raid and get a €100 external 500GB FW.

                  if you really want to know how slow your network raid
                  is, google "helios lantest", download it and see for
                  yourself how slow your raid is.

                  joergen

                  Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                • marlanit
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joergen Geerds <joergengeerds@...>
                    wrote:

                    > another project with scanned 100-400mb tiffs went
                    > without a problem . of course, each tile must be
                    > loaded from temp for display, and loading a 100mb file
                    > takes 1-2 sec (probably 10 sec for your network raid).

                    Hi Joergen,

                    yes, you are right, they are tens of seconds for images to load...But
                    the project I'm working on is just 1/3 of the full mosaic, so
                    everything will triple, that is 144 files, 117MB eachone...If the raid
                    is just a question of speed doesn't matter... :-)
                    Thanks

                    Regards
                    Marco Lanciani