PTGui Pro 7.5 Error on Stitching

  • marlanit
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
      I'm stitching 48 hi-res digital images.
      Each file is 39MPix or 5412 x 7212 pixels. Converted to tiff 8bits is
      about 117MB.
      Working on an iMac 20", intel Core2Duo 2Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
      Images are on a networked Raid Disk. Otherwise not enough space to
      continue the process of creating the panorama and PTGui warns how much
      space is nedded. So, no way to work on the HD at the moment given that
      more than 600GB are requested for the full Mosaic.

      This Project is a 6x8 images Mosaic. I had no issue to get a low
      resolution, about 2000x3000 with black canvas, .jpg output.
      But trying to stitch the full resolution .psb, after 2 days, I got
      this error...

      "jnMMF::CreateFile: fopen: Too many open files in system (23)"
      You can see the "Create Panorama" Tab here:
      <http://digilander.libero.it/marcolanciani/Error.jpg>

      ...and this is not the full mosaic, which is 6x16 images, eachone
      117MB in size!

      What happend?
      Will we able to get to the final output?
      Could A new MacPro be the solution or it's just faster...I'm not in
      harry so it's just space on the HD, RAM, CPU...or...???
      Please, I need a solution for Gigapanos. Doesn't matter how fast PTGui
      could work to get to the result but I need the result.

      Regards
      Marco Lanciani
    • Roger Howard
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
        I don't think a bigger drive is in order - my guess is the temp files
        being created are exceeding the open file limit on your machine. I've
        not had this problem before but I've seen a previous mention of this
        with PTGUI:

        http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng/2066

        It might be easier on your system to output individual layers to TIFFs
        and feed those into Enblend to get around this, or first try the ulimit
        fix in the article I linked above.

        -R
      • marlanit
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

          > I don't think a bigger drive is in order - my guess is the temp files
          > being created are exceeding the open file limit on your machine. I've
          > not had this problem before but I've seen a previous mention of this
          > with PTGUI:
          >
          > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng/2066

          Please, what is the procedure to launch PTGui from Terminal?

          > It might be easier on your system to output individual layers to TIFFs
          > and feed those into Enblend to get around this,

          Is thare a Front-End for Enblend for Mac?

          Thanks very much for your help.
        • Eric O'Brien
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
            On the Mac, to open a file from the Terminal, type open, then the
            path to the file.

            Like

            open /Applications/PTGui\ Pro/PTGui\ Pro/

            Of course, you don't want to have to type that... make the PTGui
            application visible in the Finder then in the terminal, type open and
            a space character, then drag the PTGui icon into the Terminal
            window. The path will be filled in for you. Press return and PTGui
            should launch.

            eo

            On Jan 2, 2008, at 9:24 AM, marlanit wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> I don't think a bigger drive is in order - my guess is the temp files
            >> being created are exceeding the open file limit on your machine. I've
            >> not had this problem before but I've seen a previous mention of this
            >> with PTGUI:
            >>
            >> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng/2066
            >

            > Please, what is the procedure to launch PTGui from Terminal?
            >

            >> It might be easier on your system to output individual layers to
            >> TIFFs
            >> and feed those into Enblend to get around this,
            >

            > Is thare a Front-End for Enblend for Mac?
            >

            > Thanks very much for your help.
          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "marlanit" <marlan@...> wrote:

              > Is thare a Front-End for Enblend for Mac?

              Yes X-blend from kekus.com

              Hans
            • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
                Hi Marco,

                marlanit wrote:
                > "jnMMF::CreateFile: fopen: Too many open files in system (23)"
                > You can see the "Create Panorama" Tab here:
                > <http://digilander.libero.it/marcolanciani/Error.jpg>

                During blending, PTGui keeps several file handles open for each source
                image. OSX supports tens of thousands simultaneous file handles, but
                appearently this is not the case for your network disk.

                I don't think there's much to do other than getting an internal, usb or
                firewire disk for the temp files. The ulimit trick mentioned elsewhere
                probably doesn't work since PTGui already does this on startup.

                Joost
              • marlanit
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Hi Joost,

                  another project is already started. As suggested by Roger I launched
                  PTGui through Terminal typing the ulimit command, then enter, and then
                  open PTGui in the same window draging the PTGui icon after "open ".
                  Got it right?
                  I do added the second Roger's suggestion outputting as "individual
                  leyers only"...

                  I'll let you know...

                  You're suggesting a usb/firewire disk as a solution for temp files but
                  isn't this solution pretty much the same as the networked RAID disk
                  solution, with the disadvantage of less space then the RAID, which has
                  Terabytes available?

                  By the way, I just want to remember my setup:
                  iMac 20", intel Core2Duo 2Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
                  PTgui Pro 7.5 into the internal HD, Original Images and Temp Files on
                  the RAID.
                  If I forgot usefull information, please tell me...so, what would it be
                  your suggested setup, and/or file position, for the next try, if that
                  one in progress will give another error?

                  PS: PTgui needs a speed up in importing and managing huge file. No
                  less than 10X...I tryed importing 100MB files and 500MB files: its a
                  great ammount of time before to start and so navigating between tabs,
                  even more changing image in the "Control Point" Tab...hope to see
                  improvements soon... :-)

                  Best Regards
                  Marco Lanciani
                • Joergen Geerds
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
                    i think i agree with joost that your network raid is
                    actually the bottleneck in your equation. i recently
                    stitched a 1.4gpx pano from 200 10mpx 16bit tiffs, and
                    the temp files were while working were about 6gb, and
                    the stitcher/blender requested 200gb temp space for
                    blending (intel imac). i never run into a situation
                    where there wasn't enough space, or was ptgui unable
                    to finish the stitch/blend. it's a quite amazing piece
                    of software.

                    so a cheap external 250gb firewire400 disk does the
                    trick, of course a fw800 raid will give you a slight
                    speed/space advantage.

                    another project with scanned 100-400mb tiffs went
                    without a problem . of course, each tile must be
                    loaded from temp for display, and loading a 100mb file
                    takes 1-2 sec (probably 10 sec for your network raid).
                    yes, ptgui could keep some more image data in the
                    available ram cache, but that would turn it into a
                    ram-hog, which isn't really necessary for production.

                    so please stop whining&complaining about your network
                    raid and get a €100 external 500GB FW.

                    if you really want to know how slow your network raid
                    is, google "helios lantest", download it and see for
                    yourself how slow your raid is.

                    joergen

                    Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                  • marlanit
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joergen Geerds <joergengeerds@...>
                      wrote:

                      > another project with scanned 100-400mb tiffs went
                      > without a problem . of course, each tile must be
                      > loaded from temp for display, and loading a 100mb file
                      > takes 1-2 sec (probably 10 sec for your network raid).

                      Hi Joergen,

                      yes, you are right, they are tens of seconds for images to load...But
                      the project I'm working on is just 1/3 of the full mosaic, so
                      everything will triple, that is 144 files, 117MB eachone...If the raid
                      is just a question of speed doesn't matter... :-)
                      Thanks

                      Regards
                      Marco Lanciani