sigma 8 mm on ebay

  • nelsonmdgoncalves
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi,

      The best 2008 for all.

      I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
      lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers. Their price is half the price I
      can find in the European shops.
      If so, are these lens reliable? genuine Sigma?
      Good or bad experience comments on this would be appreciated.
      Thank you.

      Nelson Gonçalves / Contacto Visual - Portugal
      www.contactovisual.pt
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "nelsonmdgoncalves" <nelson@...>
        wrote:

        > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
        > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers.

        Nelson, I have bought two lenses from UR Galaxy Ltd., one of which was
        a Sigma 8mm f/3.5. Both were fine, and on neither shipment did I have
        to pay any UK taxes. Delivery was less than a week each time, as I
        recall.

        John
      • dorindxn
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "nelsonmdgoncalves" <nelson@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
          > > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers.
          >
          > Nelson, I have bought two lenses from UR Galaxy Ltd., one of which was
          > a Sigma 8mm f/3.5. Both were fine, and on neither shipment did I have
          > to pay any UK taxes. Delivery was less than a week each time, as I
          > recall.
          >
          > John

          Nelson, my Sigma 8mm 3.5 is also from UR Galaxy I also bought recently
          another one from the same reseller for a friend of mine and it
          arrived and works perfectly
          Some panos I made with this lens are on my website near to those made
          with 18-55mm lens
          http://www.dxn.ro/en/panorama.html

          Dorin
        • pra9matiste
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
            I bought a sigma 8mm 3,5f from ebay HongKong sellers, and i cannot see
            anything wrong with them.

            Laurent

            wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > The best 2008 for all.
            >
            > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
            > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers. Their price is half the price I
            > can find in the European shops.
            > If so, are these lens reliable? genuine Sigma?
            > Good or bad experience comments on this would be appreciated.
            > Thank you.
            >
            > Nelson Gonçalves / Contacto Visual - Portugal
            > www.contactovisual.pt

          • pra9matiste
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008

              wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > The best 2008 for all.
              >
              > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
              > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers. Their price is half the price I
              > can find in the European shops.
              > If so, are these lens reliable? genuine Sigma?
              > Good or bad experience comments on this would be appreciated.
              > Thank you.
              >
              > Nelson Gonçalves / Contacto Visual - Portugal
              > www.contactovisual.pt

            • Luca Vascon
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                Nelson, I ve a friend whose name is Rui Goncalves...
                Acho que se mora ainda em portugal tem que ser na cerca de Aveiro...

                nelsonmdgoncalves ha scritto:

                > Hi,
                >
                > The best 2008 for all.
                >
                > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
                > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers. Their price is half the price I
                > can find in the European shops.
                > If so, are these lens reliable? genuine Sigma?
                > Good or bad experience comments on this would be appreciated.
                > Thank you.
                >
                > Nelson Gonçalves / Contacto Visual - Portugal
                > www.contactovisual.pt

              • pra9matiste
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Hi Nelson

                  I forgot to mention... maybe the price dropp is due to Sigma upcoming
                  new fully cirular lense for DX DSLRs, the 4,5mm f2.8

                  http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3377

                  If i had the budget, i would definitely wait and the the new one !

                  wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > The best 2008 for all.
                  >
                  > I was wondering if any of you has ever bought a Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye
                  > lens on ebay from the Chinese sellers. Their price is half the price I
                  > can find in the European shops.
                  > If so, are these lens reliable? genuine Sigma?
                  > Good or bad experience comments on this would be appreciated.
                  > Thank you.
                  >
                  > Nelson Gonçalves / Contacto Visual - Portugal
                  > www.contactovisual.pt

                • Nelson Gonçalves
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
                    > Posted by: "John Houghton" j.houghton@... panostar
                    > Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:25 am (PST)
                    >
                    > Nelson, I have bought two lenses from UR Galaxy Ltd., one of which was
                    > a Sigma 8mm f/3.5. Both were fine, and on neither shipment did I have
                    > to pay any UK taxes. Delivery was less than a week each time, as I
                    > recall.
                    >
                    > John

                    Thank you John.

                    > Nelson, my Sigma 8mm 3.5 is also from UR Galaxy I also bought recently
                    > another one from the same reseller for a friend of mine and it
                    > arrived and works perfectly
                    > Some panos I made with this lens are on my website near to those made
                    > with 18-55mm lens
                    > http://www.dxn.ro/en/panorama.html
                    >
                    > Dorin

                    Thank you Dorin. Saw the panos. Really great quality, specially those
                    interiors with the Canon 18-55 mm

                    Regards from

                    Nelson Gonçalves
                    ContactoVisual
                    Portugal
                    www.contactovisual.pt

                  • Nelson Gonçalves
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
                      > Posted by: "pra9matiste" laurentsj@... pra9matiste
                      > Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:03 am (PST)
                      >
                      > I bought a sigma 8mm 3,5f from ebay HongKong sellers, and i cannot see
                      > anything wrong with them.
                      >
                      > Laurent

                      > Posted by: "pra9matiste" laurentsj@... pra9matiste
                      > Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:14 pm (PST)
                      >
                      > Hi Nelson
                      >
                      > I forgot to mention... maybe the price dropp is due to Sigma upcoming
                      > new fully cirular lense for DX DSLRs, the 4,5mm f2.8
                      >
                      > http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3377
                      >
                      > If i had the budget, i would definitely wait and the the new one !

                      Thank you Laurent. That makes me feel more confident.
                      This buy is a step, and money matters! I currently use a Nikon 8800 +
                      FCE9 fisheye adapter, and we make panoramas for tourism (hotel)
                      websites, real estate, and some cultural collections.
                      An example of our work: http://www.contactovisual.pt/ccg/
                      castelo_lanhoso/index.html
                      or a website: http://www.axishoteisegolfe.com/golfe/golf_course.php?
                      pano=15&lang=en
                      I read the Sigma press-release, but it looks as it requires some
                      particular cameras ("It is exclusively designed for digital SLR
                      cameras with the APS-C size image sensor"). We have a Canon 350d, and
                      the lens is to be used with this camera.
                      Any way, I will dig a little more, and check on the prices.
                      Thank you again.

                      > Posted by: "Luca Vascon" crimsonkingit@... crimsonkingit
                      > Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:36 pm (PST)
                      >
                      > Nelson, I ve a friend whose name is Rui Goncalves...
                      > Acho que se mora ainda em portugal tem que ser na cerca de Aveiro...

                      Not related. I live in Esposende, in the north of Portugal. Take a
                      look here: www.esposende.com.pt

                      Regards from

                      Nelson Gonçalves
                      ContactoVisual
                      Portugal
                      www.contactovisual.pt

                    • Pat Swovelin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008
                        On 1/3/2008 2:01 AM, Nelson Gonçalves rambled on about ...:
                        > Thank you Laurent. That makes me feel more confident.
                        > This buy is a step, and money matters! I currently use a Nikon 8800 +
                        > FCE9 fisheye adapter, and we make panoramas for tourism (hotel)
                        > websites, real estate, and some cultural collections.
                        > An example of our work: http://www.contactovisual.pt/ccg/
                        > castelo_lanhoso/index.html
                        > or a website: http://www.axishoteisegolfe.com/golfe/golf_course.php?
                        > pano=15&lang=en
                        > I read the Sigma press-release, but it looks as it requires some
                        > particular cameras ("It is exclusively designed for digital SLR
                        > cameras with the APS-C size image sensor"). We have a Canon 350d, and
                        > the lens is to be used with this camera.

                        The Canon 350D *is* an APC-C sensor body and the lens *is* designed for
                        that sensor size so you can buy it with confidence (knowing that it
                        *will* fit that camera body). OTOH it won't work if you upgrade to a
                        fullframe sensor (e.g., the 5D, 10D, etc.).

                        > Any way, I will dig a little more, and check on the prices.
                        > Thank you again.

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • michel thoby
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2008
                          Le 6 janv. 08 à 04:52, Pat Swovelin a écrit :

                          > The Canon 350D *is* an APC-C sensor body and the lens *is* designed
                          > for
                          > that sensor size so you can buy it with confidence (knowing that it
                          > *will* fit that camera body). OTOH it won't work if you upgrade to a
                          > fullframe sensor (e.g., the 5D, 10D, etc.).

                          Hi Pat,

                          IMHO this thread may now bewilder the present or future reader as I
                          have been myself got confused. There are inconsistencies between the
                          title and the message content(s) that were probably introduced by
                          successive partial quoting...

                          I shall attempt to summarize the facts in a correct way (dealing with
                          commercially available current products).

                          Referring to the title of the thread: AFAIK both the 8 mm Sigma
                          lenses (both "old" f/4 and "new" f/3.5) were designed for full-frame
                          35 mm format. Especially in the first instance, the intent was
                          originally to get a non-cropped circular fisheye image on... 35-mm
                          film for scientific purposes (This lens is not manufactured anymore
                          but still widely used by this community).
                          In any case, both lenses *can* and *are* being used also on APS-c or
                          APS-h camera without inconvenience by numerous panographers (me
                          included).

                          That said, it may happen that an APS-c camera gives a higher
                          resolution output panorama than a FF camera depending on respective
                          pixels / deg of FOV density and using the same lens, although it
                          would be needed to shoot more pictures to cover the full sphere.

                          By contrast, the new 4.5 mm and 10 mm Sigma fisheye lenses that are
                          supposed to be available this month, are said by Sigma to be
                          specifically designed for APS-c. The 4.5 mm lens is explicitly
                          intended to replace the 8 mm for scientific purposes when the
                          experimenter doesn't own a FF DSLR.
                          I am however convinced that both could be used when fitted on a FF
                          camera and I bet that somebody shall soon shave the sunshield of the
                          10 mm model and shall measure the *actual* FOV of both fisheyes ;-)

                          Both the Nikkor 10.5 mm and the Tokina 10-17 mm that were also
                          claimed by their manufacturers to be useable only on APS-c cameras,
                          are actually and wonderfully performing on the EOS 5D and 1Ds (as
                          well as on the Nikon D3, after shaving or not)...
                          I believe nobody has yet successfully mated and used the Olympus 8 mm
                          on a Canon DSLR, although I may be corrected.

                          Finally, some of us are also eagerly waiting to get and use the Sunex
                          5.6 mm fisheye that is intended to produce a full circular image even
                          on APS-c. I can understand that impatience when knowing that it
                          should be the first lens that shall allow auto-stitching of only two
                          hemispheric images (with a DSLR) while outputting decent quality
                          panography, thanks to 185 deg FOV (the Sigma's are said to be
                          unfortunately strictly 180 deg).
                          To be exact and comprehensive, the Coastal Optical 4.88 mm (aka IPIX-
                          MEV) 4.88 mm fisheye is allowing to do the same, but for about six
                          times the price of the "superfisheye" from Sunex.

                          BTW Pat, aren't you confusing EOS 10D with EOS 1Ds?

                          Regards,

                          Michel

                        • Pat Swovelin
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 6, 2008
                            On 1/6/2008 3:24 AM, michel thoby's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                            and typed ...:
                            > Le 6 janv. 08 à 04:52, Pat Swovelin a écrit :
                            >
                            >> The Canon 350D *is* an APC-C sensor body and the lens *is* designed
                            >> for
                            >> that sensor size so you can buy it with confidence (knowing that it
                            >> *will* fit that camera body). OTOH it won't work if you upgrade to a
                            >> fullframe sensor (e.g., the 5D, 10D, etc.).
                            >
                            > Hi Pat,
                            >
                            > IMHO this thread may now bewilder the present or future reader as I
                            > have been myself got confused. There are inconsistencies between the
                            > title and the message content(s) that were probably introduced by
                            > successive partial quoting...

                            My reply above was in reference to the poster's desire to get the new
                            Sigma 4.5mm (the text directly above my quote) which is designed for an
                            APS-C sensor.

                            > I am however convinced that both could be used when fitted on a FF
                            > camera and I bet that somebody shall soon shave the sunshield of the
                            > 10 mm model and shall measure the *actual* FOV of both fisheyes ;-)

                            And we know who's going to be doing that, don't we? =8^)

                            > BTW Pat, aren't you confusing EOS 10D with EOS 1Ds?

                            So I left off a wimpy zero and a zero is nothing. So if I missed by
                            nothing then it's a direct hit and I'm correct.

                            How's that for circular logic? =8^)

                            Thanks for the catch.

                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Michel