Re: SPAM-LOW: [PanoToolsNG] Re: D300 - Winter experience

  • Ricardo Araujo
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi Jean,

      You can read the report of a field test of D300 in Antartica taking
      pictures at -70°C.
      http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d300/nikond300test.html
      (Germany only)
      Gallery at:
      http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d300/antarktis-fotos.html
      I hope it can help you.

      acessar o site <http://www.tourvirtualbrasil.com.br>

      Jean-Marc Paratte escreveu:

      > I have verified 3 or 4 times the problem of my D300.
      > Teh last time for example:
      > I'm going outdoor about 2 hours.
      > Temperature was -1°C.
      > The D300 works about 10 min and after fails.
      > The D300 recovers correct fonctions after a warm up of 30 min.
      >
      > As I understand the problem, it's the new lighting/focusing/lense
      > calculator which fails, the main body processor doesn't have problem.
      > Buttons, display, shooter continue to operate.
      > In mode P, the display shows varying speed as 1/2000 with always F0.
      > And shoot is black!
      >
      > I think there is the same problem with the D3 because it's the same
      > lighting processor.
      >
      > Can other people confirm the problem ?
      >
      > Jean-Marc
      >
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jean-Marc Paratte"
      > <jmparatte@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm trying a D300 from 1 month. Very nice but...
      > > >
      > > > I'have an old D70. Many times I have made some photos and
      > panoramas
      > > > with cold winter conditions, with temperature below 0°C, for
      > example:
      > > > about -15°C ambiant temperature and 1 hour in a rucksack before
      > use it.
      > > >
      > > > This is impossible with the D300, one of the internal processors
      > fails
      > > > at 0°C and below.
      > > >
      > > > After bying and trying mine, I have finally read the detailled
      > > > technical specifications and found this:
      > > >
      > > > Operating Environment: Temperature 0-40 degrees C/32-104 degrees
      > F:
      > > > under 85 percent (no condensation)
      > >
      > > This is a standard formula in all manuals. Canon and Nikons etc.
      > > A couple of years ago I was involved as a consult for an expedition
      > to Greenland.
      > > I did a lot of investigations before and found a lot of people
      > using digitals in extreme
      > > conditions without problems.
      > >
      > > The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and used
      > it under constant
      > > temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
      > > For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm. Worked
      > perfect.
      > >
      > > I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40
      > degree C
      > > The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a
      > specification for it and it also
      > > kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it
      > worked.
      > >
      > > I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical Zoo
      > every year with a
      > > humidity of 90-95%
      > > You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before
      > you can take any
      > > images.
      > >
      > > Hans

    • Flemming V. Larsen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
        From: "Ricardo Araujo"

        >Hi Jean,
        >
        >You can read the report of a field test of D300 in Antartica taking
        >pictures at -70°C.
        >http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d300/nikond300test.html
        >(Germany only)

        Here is an english verison:
        http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_nikon_d300_antartica.php
      • matt_nolan_uaf
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
          Hi. I was thinking of buying a d300, specifically to use in the
          Arctic, where the better high ISO settings could reduce noise in the
          low light winter environments. I'm very interested to get feedback
          from other cold weather users. Or perhaps temperate latitude users
          could put one in a freezer for a few hours and try it out. (I would
          recommend to keep it in a ziplock when taking from the freezer to a
          warm room, to prevent internal condensation).
          -Matt
        • Joergen Geerds
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
            hi matt,

            i do not own a d300, but i've been using a 400d for a
            year now (2 winters in NYC, not quite arctic, but
            quite cold to me). the camera takes cold much better
            than I do. a 720 mAh battery lasts about 400
            exposures, a 1000 mAh about 500. they are both in good
            condition, and gave about 10% less juice at
            temperatures below -5C (bracketed exposures 2-8-30
            sec) compared to summer (subjective, no hard data to
            prove).

            the camera worked fine at temperatures between -5C and
            -15C for at least 1-2h (i didn't stay out longer than
            that), as a matter of fact, i do believe the camera
            noise was slightly reduced, but i can't really prove
            that. i would only advice to keep the spare batteries
            warm in your pant pockets.

            I do believe that a d300 would react basically the
            same, since the build-quality of nikon and canon are
            quite comparable.

            good luck

            joergen
            luminous-newyork.com

            --- matt_nolan_uaf <matt.nolan@...> wrote:

            > Hi. I was thinking of buying a d300, specifically
            > to use in the
            > Arctic, where the better high ISO settings could
            > reduce noise in the
            > low light winter environments. I'm very interested
            > to get feedback
            > from other cold weather users. Or perhaps temperate
            > latitude users
            > could put one in a freezer for a few hours and try
            > it out. (I would
            > recommend to keep it in a ziplock when taking from
            > the freezer to a
            > warm room, to prevent internal condensation).
            > -Matt

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Jean-Marc Paratte
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
              Dear members,

              I'have found new ideas to check the problem of my D300.

              Reading the Antartica experience, I have found one common lense,
              one I have: the AF-S VR 70-200mm 1:2.8G ED.
              With this lense my D300 seams to be working.
              I don't have fully tested because temperature is now hot in my
              country.

              The bad lense is AF-S 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED DX.

              As soon as possible, I will check another lense I have:
              Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG

              Jean-Marc

              <jmparatte@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > conditions without problems.
              > >
              > > The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and
              used
              > it under constant
              > > temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
              > > For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm.
              Worked
              > perfect.
              > >
              > > I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40
              > degree C
              > > The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a
              > specification for it and it also
              > > kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it
              > worked.
              > >
              > > I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical
              Zoo
              > every year with a
              > > humidity of 90-95%
              > > You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before

            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                Have you seen this thread
                http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=25904242

                As you found that different lenses make a difference you should note the comment about
                the grease on the contacts.
                It would probably be trigged by low temperatures.

                Hans