Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Enfuse/Enblend 3.1 universal plus simple batch tool praise

  • Alan Pinstein
    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 1, 2008
      I am a Mac developer... hopefully I can help out my fellow Mac
      enthusiasts here...

      It is relatively easy to get Enfuse working, if you are willing to do
      a little work and aren't afraid of the command line.

      The instructions posted here are almost perfect: http://
      wiki.panotools.org/Enblend_Compiling_OSX

      They just leave out the download of the enfuse code (do it after step
      2 of "Build Environment"), with:

      cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/enblend
      login

      (just hit enter twice to use the "anonymous" username and no password)

      cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/
      enblend co -P enblend

      (I would've updated the wiki but I don't see an edit button even
      though I'm logged in).

      Anyway, these directions are great and I got it working immediately
      following these directions (after a couple of hours of trying to find
      a static binary and then trying to find the 3.0.x code with enfuse in
      it...)

      I could investigate building a statically-linked executable (ie a Mac
      binary) but there are lots of dependencies and that could take
      several hours of work to put everything together. It's been a while
      since I built a static executable...

      Enfuse is working great and fast on the Mac. I think it works faster
      on the mac than on the PC via parallels (although that might be
      expected).

      Mac users - if you play a lot with open source stuff, it is really
      worth your time to learn a bit about Fink. Fink is a package manager
      for OS X (you can also look at DarwinPorts, which is another
      alternative, in fact I use both). It makes it really easy to install
      many open source apps on the Mac and will give you access to lots of
      new capabilities. The open source world is largely based on package
      managers for accessing open source apps, since they build on top of
      each other a lot.

      The Mac is an amazing development environment for open source. This
      wasn't true 5 years ago, but many in the open source community
      develop on Macs, and Apple is involved and supportive of the
      community. Nowadays most open source projects work seamlessly on Mac
      from day 1.

      Best of luck with getting Enfuse set up. It's definitely worth it.
      Enfuse is amazing. It is basically a perfect algorithm for what most
      people "try" to do with HDR for realistic panoramas and stills, which
      is to get good exposure for every part of a scene.

      If people really want a static binary for the Mac and don't want to
      wait for the official package, try putting together a bounty for
      it... http://bountycounty.org/

      Regards,
      Alan

      On Dec 31, 2007, at 1:17 PM, Roger Howard wrote:

      > I didn't mean myself - my role has been very, very limited as usual...
      > the real heroes are the guys who toil on PanoTools, enblend/enfuse,
      > Hugin, and of course the commercial developers of great tools like
      > PTGUI, PTMac, etc.
      >
      > I'm just following in others (large) footsteps to try to make use of
      > their great works (and maybe help others do the same if it happens to
      > work that way!).
      >
      > Joergen Geerds wrote:
      > >
      > > well, i am certainly very grateful for all your help
      > > on compiling/posting current versions of enfuseblend
      > > and i do not complain about anything. you deserve
      > > praise for taking it on, since you are the only mac
      > > person i know who seems to be able to create working
      > > binaries. i tried to create a binary of the current
      > > panolib, but failed miserably.

    • Yuval Levy
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 1, 2008
        Luca Vascon wrote:
        > I'd add Luca Vascon, also does not want to learn!!

        which is perfectly acceptable since you patiently wait for binaries
        without complaining.

        and for the icons you teach, you don't need to learn :-)
        Yuv