Re: [PanoToolsNG] D300 - Winter experience

  • Matthias Taugwalder
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi Jean-Marc

      I was a bit shocked when I first read your post. Because I also have my new
      D300 just a few weeks and if the camera would not may be used in low
      temperature, I would have a very big problem for my work... Therefore I just
      checked the manual of the Nikon D70 and D200 cameras as well and it seems
      that the Operating environment specification is standard for all Nikon
      cameras.

      So far I hadn't the chance to test the D300 out at extreme conditions, but I
      also own a D200 and D70. For those cameras I can say I tested them out quite
      in extreme conditions: Temperatures of -15° to -20° C (5° to -4° F) and
      extreme wind conditions with 1 or 2 hours of shooting, and they never
      failed. I was especially surprised by the life-time of Nikon batteries,
      which last very, very long...

      Best regards,

      Matthias

      --
      Matthias Taugwalder
      matthias.taugwalder@...

    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Marc Paratte" <jmparatte@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying a D300 from 1 month. Very nice but...
        >
        > I'have an old D70. Many times I have made some photos and panoramas
        > with cold winter conditions, with temperature below 0°C, for example:
        > about -15°C ambiant temperature and 1 hour in a rucksack before use it.
        >
        > This is impossible with the D300, one of the internal processors fails
        > at 0°C and below.
        >
        > After bying and trying mine, I have finally read the detailled
        > technical specifications and found this:
        >
        > Operating Environment: Temperature 0-40 degrees C/32-104 degrees F:
        > under 85 percent (no condensation)

        This is a standard formula in all manuals. Canon and Nikons etc.
        A couple of years ago I was involved as a consult for an expedition to Greenland.
        I did a lot of investigations before and found a lot of people using digitals in extreme
        conditions without problems.

        The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and used it under constant
        temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
        For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm. Worked perfect.

        I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40 degree C
        The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a specification for it and it also
        kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it worked.

        I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical Zoo every year with a
        humidity of 90-95%
        You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before you can take any
        images.

        Hans
      • Jean-Marc Paratte
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
          I have verified 3 or 4 times the problem of my D300.
          Teh last time for example:
          I'm going outdoor about 2 hours.
          Temperature was -1°C.
          The D300 works about 10 min and after fails.
          The D300 recovers correct fonctions after a warm up of 30 min.

          As I understand the problem, it's the new lighting/focusing/lense
          calculator which fails, the main body processor doesn't have problem.
          Buttons, display, shooter continue to operate.
          In mode P, the display shows varying speed as 1/2000 with always F0.
          And shoot is black!

          I think there is the same problem with the D3 because it's the same
          lighting processor.

          Can other people confirm the problem ?

          Jean-Marc

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Marc Paratte"
          <jmparatte@> wrote:

          > > I'm trying a D300 from 1 month. Very nice but...
          > >
          > > I'have an old D70. Many times I have made some photos and
          panoramas
          > > with cold winter conditions, with temperature below 0°C, for
          example:
          > > about -15°C ambiant temperature and 1 hour in a rucksack before
          use it.

          > > This is impossible with the D300, one of the internal processors
          fails
          > > at 0°C and below.
          > >
          > > After bying and trying mine, I have finally read the detailled
          > > technical specifications and found this:
          > >
          > > Operating Environment: Temperature 0-40 degrees C/32-104 degrees
          F:
          > > under 85 percent (no condensation)
          >
          > This is a standard formula in all manuals. Canon and Nikons etc.
          > A couple of years ago I was involved as a consult for an expedition
          to Greenland.
          > I did a lot of investigations before and found a lot of people
          using digitals in extreme
          > conditions without problems.
          >
          > The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and used
          it under constant
          > temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
          > For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm. Worked
          perfect.

          > I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40
          degree C
          > The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a
          specification for it and it also
          > kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it
          worked.

          > I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical Zoo
          every year with a
          > humidity of 90-95%
          > You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before
          you can take any
          > images.
          >
          > Hans

        • Ricardo Araujo
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
            Hi Jean,

            You can read the report of a field test of D300 in Antartica taking
            pictures at -70°C.
            http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d300/nikond300test.html
            (Germany only)
            Gallery at:
            http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d300/antarktis-fotos.html
            I hope it can help you.

            acessar o site <http://www.tourvirtualbrasil.com.br>

            Jean-Marc Paratte escreveu:

            > I have verified 3 or 4 times the problem of my D300.
            > Teh last time for example:
            > I'm going outdoor about 2 hours.
            > Temperature was -1°C.
            > The D300 works about 10 min and after fails.
            > The D300 recovers correct fonctions after a warm up of 30 min.
            >
            > As I understand the problem, it's the new lighting/focusing/lense
            > calculator which fails, the main body processor doesn't have problem.
            > Buttons, display, shooter continue to operate.
            > In mode P, the display shows varying speed as 1/2000 with always F0.
            > And shoot is black!
            >
            > I think there is the same problem with the D3 because it's the same
            > lighting processor.
            >
            > Can other people confirm the problem ?
            >
            > Jean-Marc
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jean-Marc Paratte"
            > <jmparatte@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm trying a D300 from 1 month. Very nice but...
            > > >
            > > > I'have an old D70. Many times I have made some photos and
            > panoramas
            > > > with cold winter conditions, with temperature below 0°C, for
            > example:
            > > > about -15°C ambiant temperature and 1 hour in a rucksack before
            > use it.
            > > >
            > > > This is impossible with the D300, one of the internal processors
            > fails
            > > > at 0°C and below.
            > > >
            > > > After bying and trying mine, I have finally read the detailled
            > > > technical specifications and found this:
            > > >
            > > > Operating Environment: Temperature 0-40 degrees C/32-104 degrees
            > F:
            > > > under 85 percent (no condensation)
            > >
            > > This is a standard formula in all manuals. Canon and Nikons etc.
            > > A couple of years ago I was involved as a consult for an expedition
            > to Greenland.
            > > I did a lot of investigations before and found a lot of people
            > using digitals in extreme
            > > conditions without problems.
            > >
            > > The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and used
            > it under constant
            > > temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
            > > For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm. Worked
            > perfect.
            > >
            > > I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40
            > degree C
            > > The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a
            > specification for it and it also
            > > kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it
            > worked.
            > >
            > > I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical Zoo
            > every year with a
            > > humidity of 90-95%
            > > You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before
            > you can take any
            > > images.
            > >
            > > Hans

          • Flemming V. Larsen
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
              From: "Ricardo Araujo"

              >Hi Jean,
              >
              >You can read the report of a field test of D300 in Antartica taking
              >pictures at -70°C.
              >http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d300/nikond300test.html
              >(Germany only)

              Here is an english verison:
              http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_nikon_d300_antartica.php
            • matt_nolan_uaf
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                Hi. I was thinking of buying a d300, specifically to use in the
                Arctic, where the better high ISO settings could reduce noise in the
                low light winter environments. I'm very interested to get feedback
                from other cold weather users. Or perhaps temperate latitude users
                could put one in a freezer for a few hours and try it out. (I would
                recommend to keep it in a ziplock when taking from the freezer to a
                warm room, to prevent internal condensation).
                -Matt
              • Joergen Geerds
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
                  hi matt,

                  i do not own a d300, but i've been using a 400d for a
                  year now (2 winters in NYC, not quite arctic, but
                  quite cold to me). the camera takes cold much better
                  than I do. a 720 mAh battery lasts about 400
                  exposures, a 1000 mAh about 500. they are both in good
                  condition, and gave about 10% less juice at
                  temperatures below -5C (bracketed exposures 2-8-30
                  sec) compared to summer (subjective, no hard data to
                  prove).

                  the camera worked fine at temperatures between -5C and
                  -15C for at least 1-2h (i didn't stay out longer than
                  that), as a matter of fact, i do believe the camera
                  noise was slightly reduced, but i can't really prove
                  that. i would only advice to keep the spare batteries
                  warm in your pant pockets.

                  I do believe that a d300 would react basically the
                  same, since the build-quality of nikon and canon are
                  quite comparable.

                  good luck

                  joergen
                  luminous-newyork.com

                  --- matt_nolan_uaf <matt.nolan@...> wrote:

                  > Hi. I was thinking of buying a d300, specifically
                  > to use in the
                  > Arctic, where the better high ISO settings could
                  > reduce noise in the
                  > low light winter environments. I'm very interested
                  > to get feedback
                  > from other cold weather users. Or perhaps temperate
                  > latitude users
                  > could put one in a freezer for a few hours and try
                  > it out. (I would
                  > recommend to keep it in a ziplock when taking from
                  > the freezer to a
                  > warm room, to prevent internal condensation).
                  > -Matt

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Jean-Marc Paratte
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                    Dear members,

                    I'have found new ideas to check the problem of my D300.

                    Reading the Antartica experience, I have found one common lense,
                    one I have: the AF-S VR 70-200mm 1:2.8G ED.
                    With this lense my D300 seams to be working.
                    I don't have fully tested because temperature is now hot in my
                    country.

                    The bad lense is AF-S 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED DX.

                    As soon as possible, I will check another lense I have:
                    Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG

                    Jean-Marc

                    <jmparatte@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > conditions without problems.
                    > >
                    > > The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and
                    used
                    > it under constant
                    > > temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
                    > > For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm.
                    Worked
                    > perfect.
                    > >
                    > > I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40
                    > degree C
                    > > The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a
                    > specification for it and it also
                    > > kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it
                    > worked.
                    > >
                    > > I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical
                    Zoo
                    > every year with a
                    > > humidity of 90-95%
                    > > You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before

                  • Hans Nyberg
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                      Have you seen this thread
                      http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=25904242

                      As you found that different lenses make a difference you should note the comment about
                      the grease on the contacts.
                      It would probably be trigged by low temperatures.

                      Hans