Re: [PanoToolsNG] D300 - Winter experience

  • Carel
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
      Jean-Marc Paratte wrote:

      > ..........<snip>................
      >
      > Has anybody a solution to warn up the camera in a rucksack?
      >
      > Jean-Marc

      The simplest would be one of those handwarming devices, such as at this
      randomly picked link:
      http://www.heatfactory.com/hand-warmers.html
      I dont know what kind of volatiles are released in the chemical reaction, so
      the camera should probably be kept in a plastic zip-lock bag. You may be
      able to keep the camera from cooling down too rapidly while shooting by
      taping one of these handwarming devices to the camera.
      More for shock-proofing than for warming, I have been experimenting with
      small thermal bags inside my backpack. These bags are used for keeping food
      warm or cold.

      Carel Struycken

    • Matthias Taugwalder
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
        Hi Jean-Marc

        I was a bit shocked when I first read your post. Because I also have my new
        D300 just a few weeks and if the camera would not may be used in low
        temperature, I would have a very big problem for my work... Therefore I just
        checked the manual of the Nikon D70 and D200 cameras as well and it seems
        that the Operating environment specification is standard for all Nikon
        cameras.

        So far I hadn't the chance to test the D300 out at extreme conditions, but I
        also own a D200 and D70. For those cameras I can say I tested them out quite
        in extreme conditions: Temperatures of -15° to -20° C (5° to -4° F) and
        extreme wind conditions with 1 or 2 hours of shooting, and they never
        failed. I was especially surprised by the life-time of Nikon batteries,
        which last very, very long...

        Best regards,

        Matthias

        --
        Matthias Taugwalder
        matthias.taugwalder@...

      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Marc Paratte" <jmparatte@...> wrote:

          > I'm trying a D300 from 1 month. Very nice but...
          >
          > I'have an old D70. Many times I have made some photos and panoramas
          > with cold winter conditions, with temperature below 0°C, for example:
          > about -15°C ambiant temperature and 1 hour in a rucksack before use it.
          >
          > This is impossible with the D300, one of the internal processors fails
          > at 0°C and below.
          >
          > After bying and trying mine, I have finally read the detailled
          > technical specifications and found this:
          >
          > Operating Environment: Temperature 0-40 degrees C/32-104 degrees F:
          > under 85 percent (no condensation)

          This is a standard formula in all manuals. Canon and Nikons etc.
          A couple of years ago I was involved as a consult for an expedition to Greenland.
          I did a lot of investigations before and found a lot of people using digitals in extreme
          conditions without problems.

          The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and used it under constant
          temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
          For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm. Worked perfect.

          I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40 degree C
          The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a specification for it and it also
          kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it worked.

          I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical Zoo every year with a
          humidity of 90-95%
          You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before you can take any
          images.

          Hans
        • Jean-Marc Paratte
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
            I have verified 3 or 4 times the problem of my D300.
            Teh last time for example:
            I'm going outdoor about 2 hours.
            Temperature was -1°C.
            The D300 works about 10 min and after fails.
            The D300 recovers correct fonctions after a warm up of 30 min.

            As I understand the problem, it's the new lighting/focusing/lense
            calculator which fails, the main body processor doesn't have problem.
            Buttons, display, shooter continue to operate.
            In mode P, the display shows varying speed as 1/2000 with always F0.
            And shoot is black!

            I think there is the same problem with the D3 because it's the same
            lighting processor.

            Can other people confirm the problem ?

            Jean-Marc

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Marc Paratte"
            <jmparatte@> wrote:

            > > I'm trying a D300 from 1 month. Very nice but...
            > >
            > > I'have an old D70. Many times I have made some photos and
            panoramas
            > > with cold winter conditions, with temperature below 0°C, for
            example:
            > > about -15°C ambiant temperature and 1 hour in a rucksack before
            use it.

            > > This is impossible with the D300, one of the internal processors
            fails
            > > at 0°C and below.
            > >
            > > After bying and trying mine, I have finally read the detailled
            > > technical specifications and found this:
            > >
            > > Operating Environment: Temperature 0-40 degrees C/32-104 degrees
            F:
            > > under 85 percent (no condensation)
            >
            > This is a standard formula in all manuals. Canon and Nikons etc.
            > A couple of years ago I was involved as a consult for an expedition
            to Greenland.
            > I did a lot of investigations before and found a lot of people
            using digitals in extreme
            > conditions without problems.
            >
            > The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and used
            it under constant
            > temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
            > For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm. Worked
            perfect.

            > I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40
            degree C
            > The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a
            specification for it and it also
            > kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it
            worked.

            > I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical Zoo
            every year with a
            > humidity of 90-95%
            > You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before
            you can take any
            > images.
            >
            > Hans

          • Ricardo Araujo
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
              Hi Jean,

              You can read the report of a field test of D300 in Antartica taking
              pictures at -70°C.
              http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d300/nikond300test.html
              (Germany only)
              Gallery at:
              http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d300/antarktis-fotos.html
              I hope it can help you.

              acessar o site <http://www.tourvirtualbrasil.com.br>

              Jean-Marc Paratte escreveu:

              > I have verified 3 or 4 times the problem of my D300.
              > Teh last time for example:
              > I'm going outdoor about 2 hours.
              > Temperature was -1°C.
              > The D300 works about 10 min and after fails.
              > The D300 recovers correct fonctions after a warm up of 30 min.
              >
              > As I understand the problem, it's the new lighting/focusing/lense
              > calculator which fails, the main body processor doesn't have problem.
              > Buttons, display, shooter continue to operate.
              > In mode P, the display shows varying speed as 1/2000 with always F0.
              > And shoot is black!
              >
              > I think there is the same problem with the D3 because it's the same
              > lighting processor.
              >
              > Can other people confirm the problem ?
              >
              > Jean-Marc
              >
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jean-Marc Paratte"
              > <jmparatte@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I'm trying a D300 from 1 month. Very nice but...
              > > >
              > > > I'have an old D70. Many times I have made some photos and
              > panoramas
              > > > with cold winter conditions, with temperature below 0°C, for
              > example:
              > > > about -15°C ambiant temperature and 1 hour in a rucksack before
              > use it.
              > > >
              > > > This is impossible with the D300, one of the internal processors
              > fails
              > > > at 0°C and below.
              > > >
              > > > After bying and trying mine, I have finally read the detailled
              > > > technical specifications and found this:
              > > >
              > > > Operating Environment: Temperature 0-40 degrees C/32-104 degrees
              > F:
              > > > under 85 percent (no condensation)
              > >
              > > This is a standard formula in all manuals. Canon and Nikons etc.
              > > A couple of years ago I was involved as a consult for an expedition
              > to Greenland.
              > > I did a lot of investigations before and found a lot of people
              > using digitals in extreme
              > > conditions without problems.
              > >
              > > The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and used
              > it under constant
              > > temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
              > > For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm. Worked
              > perfect.
              > >
              > > I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40
              > degree C
              > > The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a
              > specification for it and it also
              > > kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it
              > worked.
              > >
              > > I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical Zoo
              > every year with a
              > > humidity of 90-95%
              > > You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before
              > you can take any
              > > images.
              > >
              > > Hans

            • Flemming V. Larsen
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Hi. I was thinking of buying a d300, specifically to use in the
                  Arctic, where the better high ISO settings could reduce noise in the
                  low light winter environments. I'm very interested to get feedback
                  from other cold weather users. Or perhaps temperate latitude users
                  could put one in a freezer for a few hours and try it out. (I would
                  recommend to keep it in a ziplock when taking from the freezer to a
                  warm room, to prevent internal condensation).
                  -Matt
                • Joergen Geerds
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
                    hi matt,

                    i do not own a d300, but i've been using a 400d for a
                    year now (2 winters in NYC, not quite arctic, but
                    quite cold to me). the camera takes cold much better
                    than I do. a 720 mAh battery lasts about 400
                    exposures, a 1000 mAh about 500. they are both in good
                    condition, and gave about 10% less juice at
                    temperatures below -5C (bracketed exposures 2-8-30
                    sec) compared to summer (subjective, no hard data to
                    prove).

                    the camera worked fine at temperatures between -5C and
                    -15C for at least 1-2h (i didn't stay out longer than
                    that), as a matter of fact, i do believe the camera
                    noise was slightly reduced, but i can't really prove
                    that. i would only advice to keep the spare batteries
                    warm in your pant pockets.

                    I do believe that a d300 would react basically the
                    same, since the build-quality of nikon and canon are
                    quite comparable.

                    good luck

                    joergen
                    luminous-newyork.com

                    --- matt_nolan_uaf <matt.nolan@...> wrote:

                    > Hi. I was thinking of buying a d300, specifically
                    > to use in the
                    > Arctic, where the better high ISO settings could
                    > reduce noise in the
                    > low light winter environments. I'm very interested
                    > to get feedback
                    > from other cold weather users. Or perhaps temperate
                    > latitude users
                    > could put one in a freezer for a few hours and try
                    > it out. (I would
                    > recommend to keep it in a ziplock when taking from
                    > the freezer to a
                    > warm room, to prevent internal condensation).
                    > -Matt

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Jean-Marc Paratte
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                      Dear members,

                      I'have found new ideas to check the problem of my D300.

                      Reading the Antartica experience, I have found one common lense,
                      one I have: the AF-S VR 70-200mm 1:2.8G ED.
                      With this lense my D300 seams to be working.
                      I don't have fully tested because temperature is now hot in my
                      country.

                      The bad lense is AF-S 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED DX.

                      As soon as possible, I will check another lense I have:
                      Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG

                      Jean-Marc

                      <jmparatte@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > conditions without problems.
                      > >
                      > > The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and
                      used
                      > it under constant
                      > > temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
                      > > For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm.
                      Worked
                      > perfect.
                      > >
                      > > I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40
                      > degree C
                      > > The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a
                      > specification for it and it also
                      > > kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it
                      > worked.
                      > >
                      > > I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical
                      Zoo
                      > every year with a
                      > > humidity of 90-95%
                      > > You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before

                    • Hans Nyberg
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                        Have you seen this thread
                        http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=25904242

                        As you found that different lenses make a difference you should note the comment about
                        the grease on the contacts.
                        It would probably be trigged by low temperatures.

                        Hans