Re: new international rule about batteries

  • Jean-Marc Paratte
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
      Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
      at end of this page:
      http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

      Jean-Marc

      > Sometime around 1/1/08 (at 09:57 -0800) Carel said:
      >
      > >To make air travel even more unpleasant, there is a new rule which
      stipulates
      > >that one has to carry spare lithium batteries in hand luggage
      >
      > So what's going to happen, check-in luggage scanned for the illegal
      > presence of an extra couple of camera batteries? This sounds close to
      > ludicrous.

    • Ian Wood
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
        Note that these rules appear to be US-specific - I've not read
        anything about them applying in other countries.

        When I flew from Germany to Amsterdam to the UK last week there
        weren't any leaflets or posters about this *anywhere*.

        Ian

        On 1 Jan 2008, at 19:26, Jean-Marc Paratte wrote:

        > Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
        > at end of this page:
        > http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html
      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
          Sometime around 1/1/08 (at 19:26 +0000) Jean-Marc Paratte said:

          >Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
          >at end of this page:
          ><http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html>http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

          Well, Scooby Doo! For a site that's got so much specific detail
          that's spectacularly unhelpful. :-)

          But with a quick look at
          http://www.camerahacker.com/Definitions/Battery_Capacity_Conversion.shtml
          and some basic calculations, it seems that the Li-ion battery in my
          old D70 (7.5V 1400mAh) delivers approximately 10.5 'watt-hours'.

          (The maths: Although an electrician would point out that this isn't
          *entirely* accurate, it is possible to determine watts if you know
          amps and volts. Or in our case, watt-hours from milliamp-hours and
          volts. The calculation is amp * volts = watts, or (mAh * 1000) *
          volts = watt-hours.)

          According to the Safe Travel site, 8g of 'equivalent lithium content'
          delivers approximately 100 watt-hours. So it seems that my 1400mAh
          D70 battery has a fraction more than 0.8g of 'equivalent lithium
          content'.

          The site then says very specifically:

          "You can also bring up to two spare batteries
          with an aggregate equivalent lithium content
          of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries
          that fall below the 8-gram threshold."

          The line "in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram
          threshold" would seem to cover us for an open-ended quantity of dSLR
          batteries of any kind I've ever seen.

          Even if I've made a big error in the above calculations (it seems
          pretty dang clear but all things are possible) our batteries are
          significantly less beefy than the kind of laptop extender powerpack
          or prosumer camcorder batteries the site shows.

          I think we're safe. And if someone's still worried, take the formulae
          with you, perhaps laid out to look nice 'n' official, and use that to
          justify your dozens of spare Li-ion batteries. And remember to be
          clear that they aren't Lithium Metal batteries. :-)

          Department of Transport?
          Department of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, more like...

        • pjb74nz
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
            I would have thought it would be easier and cheaper to force the
            manufacturers to make safe batteries than have to check millions of
            passengers each year.

            Peter Banks
            NZ

            > Sometime around 1/1/08 (at 19:26 +0000) Jean-Marc Paratte said:
            >
            > >Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
            > >at end of this page:
            >
            ><http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html>http://safetravel
            .dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

            > Well, Scooby Doo! For a site that's got so much specific detail
            > that's spectacularly unhelpful. :-)
            >
            > But with a quick look at

            http://www.camerahacker.com/Definitions/Battery_Capacity_Conversion.sh
            tml
            > and some basic calculations, it seems that the Li-ion battery in my
            > old D70 (7.5V 1400mAh) delivers approximately 10.5 'watt-hours'.
            >
            > (The maths: Although an electrician would point out that this isn't
            > *entirely* accurate, it is possible to determine watts if you know
            > amps and volts. Or in our case, watt-hours from milliamp-hours and
            > volts. The calculation is amp * volts = watts, or (mAh * 1000) *
            > volts = watt-hours.)
            >
            > According to the Safe Travel site, 8g of 'equivalent lithium
            content'
            > delivers approximately 100 watt-hours. So it seems that my 1400mAh
            > D70 battery has a fraction more than 0.8g of 'equivalent lithium
            > content'.
            >
            > The site then says very specifically:
            >
            > "You can also bring up to two spare batteries
            > with an aggregate equivalent lithium content
            > of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries
            > that fall below the 8-gram threshold."
            >
            > The line "in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram
            > threshold" would seem to cover us for an open-ended quantity of
            dSLR
            > batteries of any kind I've ever seen.
            >
            > Even if I've made a big error in the above calculations (it seems
            > pretty dang clear but all things are possible) our batteries are
            > significantly less beefy than the kind of laptop extender powerpack
            > or prosumer camcorder batteries the site shows.
            >
            > I think we're safe. And if someone's still worried, take the
            formulae
            > with you, perhaps laid out to look nice 'n' official, and use that
            > justify your dozens of spare Li-ion batteries. And remember to be
            > clear that they aren't Lithium Metal batteries. :-)
            >

            > Department of Transport?
            > Department of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, more like...

          • mrjimbo
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
              Peter,
              With all due respect. I think it's more about the what national security is in at the present moment.. Shall I suggest a misguided muscle..
              I cannot have on my on board luggage a flask of B&B.
              I have had cuticle scissors confiscated (every time) .. yet they allow 5mm lead pencils and 10 / 12 inch long knitting needles. Duh .. what can I say.. The truth is that if onewanted to get something on the plane I honestly don't feel all their efforts will detour it. .. the presesnt security system would not detour me if I choose to be creative.. I personally belive that it is but a show and tell for shall I say regular people to justify the costs of trying to figure out somethings that are probably beyond their capicity to figure out. OK sorry I'm done..

              I would have thought it would be easier and cheaper to force the
              manufacturers to make safe batteries than have to check millions of
              passengers each year.

              Peter Banks
              NZ

              > Sometime around 1/1/08 (at 19:26 +0000) Jean-Marc Paratte said:
              >
              > >Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
              > >at end of this page:
              >
              ><http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html>http://safetravel
              .dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

              > Well, Scooby Doo! For a site that's got so much specific detail
              > that's spectacularly unhelpful. :-)
              >
              > But with a quick look at

              http://www.camerahacker.com/Definitions/Battery_Capacity_Conversion.sh
              tml
              > and some basic calculations, it seems that the Li-ion battery in my
              > old D70 (7.5V 1400mAh) delivers approximately 10.5 'watt-hours'.
              >
              > (The maths: Although an electrician would point out that this isn't
              > *entirely* accurate, it is possible to determine watts if you know
              > amps and volts. Or in our case, watt-hours from milliamp-hours and
              > volts. The calculation is amp * volts = watts, or (mAh * 1000) *
              > volts = watt-hours.)
              >
              > According to the Safe Travel site, 8g of 'equivalent lithium
              content'
              > delivers approximately 100 watt-hours. So it seems that my 1400mAh
              > D70 battery has a fraction more than 0.8g of 'equivalent lithium
              > content'.
              >
              > The site then says very specifically:
              >
              > "You can also bring up to two spare batteries
              > with an aggregate equivalent lithium content
              > of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries
              > that fall below the 8-gram threshold."
              >
              > The line "in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram
              > threshold" would seem to cover us for an open-ended quantity of
              dSLR
              > batteries of any kind I've ever seen.
              >
              > Even if I've made a big error in the above calculations (it seems
              > pretty dang clear but all things are possible) our batteries are
              > significantly less beefy than the kind of laptop extender powerpack
              > or prosumer camcorder batteries the site shows.
              >
              > I think we're safe. And if someone's still worried, take the
              formulae
              > with you, perhaps laid out to look nice 'n' official, and use that
              > justify your dozens of spare Li-ion batteries. And remember to be
              > clear that they aren't Lithium Metal batteries. :-)
              >

              > Department of Transport?
              > Department of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, more like...

            • dmgalpha
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 2, 2008
                I love the way some US media interprets "International".

                For those in Canada check CSTSA web site for restrictions in this country.

                http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/travel_voyage/notice_avis/index.shtml

                --dmg

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

                > To make air travel even more unpleasant, there is a new rule which
                stipulates
                > that one has to carry spare lithium batteries in hand luggage, no
                more than
                > two batteries allowed and they have to be in their original
                packaging or in
                > a ziplock bag. This is supposed to make them safe from catching
                fire, which
                > makes one wonder why only two spares are allowed if they wont catch fire
                > anyhow when properly packaged.
                > http://tinyurl.com/3a5jm2
                > Usually I travel with two spare batteries per camera (which makes 4)
                and I
                > just ordered a universal battery, which can be used for any device that
                > works in the range 3.5v-12v.
                > http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=919
                > I wonder how we are supposed to deal with this. Buy batteries
                locally and
                > give them away before returning home...?
                >
                > Carel Struycken

              • Pat Swovelin
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 3, 2008
                  On 1/1/2008 12:12 PM, Ian Wood rambled on about ...:
                  > Note that these rules appear to be US-specific - I've not read
                  > anything about them applying in other countries.

                  True but a lot of people, both on and off of this list, will enter/exit
                  US airspace and that's when they'll ding you for being the mad terrorist
                  Li-On battery bomber and you'll wind up with a stay in Guantanamo Naval
                  Base that includes free room and board ... indefinitely.

                  > When I flew from Germany to Amsterdam to the UK last week there
                  > weren't any leaflets or posters about this *anywhere*.
                  >
                  > Ian
                  >
                  > On 1 Jan 2008, at 19:26, Jean-Marc Paratte wrote:
                  >
                  >> Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
                  >> at end of this page:
                  >> http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

                  Pat Swovelin
                  Cool Guy @ Large
                • Pat Swovelin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 3, 2008
                    On 1/1/2008 12:42 PM, Keith Martin rambled on about ...:
                    > Sometime around 1/1/08 (at 19:26 +0000) Jean-Marc Paratte said:
                    >
                    >> Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
                    >> at end of this page:
                    >> <http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html>http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html
                    >
                    > Well, Scooby Doo! For a site that's got so much specific detail
                    > that's spectacularly unhelpful. :-)
                    >
                    > But with a quick look at
                    > http://www.camerahacker.com/Definitions/Battery_Capacity_Conversion.shtml
                    > and some basic calculations, it seems that the Li-ion battery in my
                    > old D70 (7.5V 1400mAh) delivers approximately 10.5 'watt-hours'.
                    >
                    > (The maths: Although an electrician would point out that this isn't
                    > *entirely* accurate, it is possible to determine watts if you know
                    > amps and volts. Or in our case, watt-hours from milliamp-hours and
                    > volts. The calculation is amp * volts = watts, or (mAh * 1000) *
                    > volts = watt-hours.)
                    >
                    > According to the Safe Travel site, 8g of 'equivalent lithium content'
                    > delivers approximately 100 watt-hours. So it seems that my 1400mAh
                    > D70 battery has a fraction more than 0.8g of 'equivalent lithium
                    > content'.
                    >
                    > The site then says very specifically:
                    >
                    > "You can also bring up to two spare batteries
                    > with an aggregate equivalent lithium content
                    > of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries
                    > that fall below the 8-gram threshold."
                    >
                    > The line "in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram
                    > threshold" would seem to cover us for an open-ended quantity of dSLR
                    > batteries of any kind I've ever seen.
                    >
                    > Even if I've made a big error in the above calculations (it seems
                    > pretty dang clear but all things are possible) our batteries are
                    > significantly less beefy than the kind of laptop extender powerpack
                    > or prosumer camcorder batteries the site shows.
                    >
                    > I think we're safe. And if someone's still worried, take the formulae
                    > with you, perhaps laid out to look nice 'n' official, and use that to
                    > justify your dozens of spare Li-ion batteries. And remember to be
                    > clear that they aren't Lithium Metal batteries. :-)

                    Have you ever had a conversation with anyone in the TSA at the security
                    check-in point and/or someone from Homeland Security? It's like talking
                    physics with your dog. It's a waste of your time and it just irritates
                    the dog.

                    Seriously. These people just won't/can't listen to reason.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 4, 2008
                      Sometime around 3/1/08 (at 22:02 -0800) Pat Swovelin said:

                      >Have you ever had a conversation with anyone in the TSA at the security
                      >check-in point and/or someone from Homeland Security?

                      Well, not someone badged as Homeland Security, but I have had to
                      explain the large, suspicious lump of highly-machined metal and the
                      metal tubes in my carry-on bag to jumpy check-in security in San
                      Francisco a couple of different times.

                      The 360P Absolute head is a little scary (especially on x-rays) if
                      you're looking for terrorists and don't have a clue about what it
                      really is! Tripod parts just compound the problem too... but it was
                      never worryingly difficult to explain. So far anyway.

                      If I ever need to explain multiple batteries I'll leave the physics
                      calculations for later and just say "oh, these all fall into the
                      official 'small battery' category, they're well under the limit".
                      Being clear, calm, confident and cooperative (the four Cs) normally
                      helps a lot.

                      The fact is, the people checking bags want to stop terrorists and
                      other criminals, not futz about with honest and cooperative
                      passengers. I've seen (second-hand) how petty they *can* be if
                      handled wrongly, but if they're convinced that you're *really*
                      harmless - and honestly are trying to stay in line - then human
                      nature will begin to work on your side. Or so my experience has shown
                      on a number of occasions... :-)

                      Hmm. Perhaps now is the right point to say "your mileage may vary"?

                    • Serge Maandag
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 4, 2008
                        > If I ever need to explain multiple batteries I'll leave the physics
                        > calculations for later and just say "oh, these all fall into the
                        > official 'small battery' category, they're well under the limit".
                        > Being clear, calm, confident and cooperative (the four Cs) normally
                        > helps a lot.

                        Hmm,

                        I scored good on all 4 Cs when I went to Norway. Yet the sporty looks of my car and
                        the Dutch license plate were enough to have them interrogate me and my girlfriend in
                        a room while a drug sniffing dog was drooling all over my car and opened bags.
                        Yuck..

                        Amsterdams reputation bit me in the backside on this occasion. Ofcourse they didn't
                        find anything, so after an hour I was on my way to the nearest drycleaner. A bad way
                        to start your holiday..

                        Serge.
                      • John Riley
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 4, 2008
                          On Jan 4, 2008, at 7:20 AM, Keith Martin wrote:

                          > >Have you ever had a conversation with anyone in the TSA at the
                          > security
                          > >check-in point and/or someone from Homeland Security?
                          >
                          > Well, not someone badged as Homeland Security, but I have had to
                          > explain the large, suspicious lump of highly-machined metal and the
                          > metal tubes in my carry-on bag to jumpy check-in security in San
                          > Francisco a couple of different times.

                          They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                          toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction because I
                          forgot to check it. I have gone through security with a bag full of
                          lenses, camera, 360Precision Absolute, computer, palm device, cell
                          phone, ipod, gps, external hard disk and all the assorted wiring (I
                          was traveling abroad for 8 months, so I had my life with me) and they
                          didn't even open the bag. But I had to ditch the toothpaste!

                          John Riley
                          johnriley@...
                          jriley@...

                        • Pat Swovelin
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 5, 2008
                            On 1/4/2008 4:20 AM, Keith Martin rambled on about ...:
                            > The fact is, the people checking bags want to stop terrorists and
                            > other criminals, not futz about with honest and cooperative
                            > passengers. I've seen (second-hand) how petty they *can* be if
                            > handled wrongly, but if they're convinced that you're *really*
                            > harmless - and honestly are trying to stay in line - then human
                            > nature will begin to work on your side. Or so my experience has shown
                            > on a number of occasions... :-)

                            Yes they do want to stop the bad guys but they're undertrained ill paid
                            cop wannabees with a badge. 2 years ago I flew to Mexico City and
                            before I checked my bags I showed a bunch of stuff to the TSA guy at the
                            X-ray machine to get his approval for everything in my camera bag.
                            There was maybe 1 item he said I should put in my checked bags. I did
                            and I had no problems ... until I tried getting on the plane in Mexico
                            City to come home. They totally freaked when they "found" (like I was
                            hiding it) my MONSTER 3" crescent wrench. It was considered a tool and
                            it wasn't getting on the plane with me. My screwdrivers were OK (they
                            weren't tools). My 6" long Allen wrench was OK (it wasn't a tool). The
                            3" crescent wrench was a tool would cause the plane to fall out of the
                            sky or I'd somehow use it to take the nuts off of the cockpit door and
                            overpower the crew with it (This is a hijacking! Take me to Cuba or
                            I'll take more nuts off of stuff!) and it wasn't going on the plane with me.

                            And these guys are less picky than the US security agents are.

                            Of course they may have been having a bad hair day ... or I was. =8^)

                            When I got back to the States I asked one of the security guys about it
                            and he said it's OK here but they have a different list. Swell...

                            > Hmm. Perhaps now is the right point to say "your mileage may vary"?

                            It will only vary IF you can get on the plane. =8^)

                            Pat Swovelin
                            Cool Guy @ Large
                          • Keith Martin
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                              Sometime around 4/1/08 (at 21:46 -0500) John Riley said:

                              >They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                              >toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction

                              Ah well, a sacrificial tube of toothpaste is a small price to pay. :-)

                              The wetpixel.com site has some more specific info on this subject,
                              and it appears that we are indeed safe; the batteries we deal with
                              for digital SLRs are not even nearly big enough to be counted in the
                              restrictions. But all batteries must be transported in carry-on
                              luggage.

                              http://tinyurl.com/2zmeay

                              (It is also true that this still just affects US airspace travel. But
                              it could easily become a standard restriction in other places too.)

                            • panokaemena@mac.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                                well who has no problems....... can think about how to create some
                                more.....

                                once they found a little Allen key in my camera back..... oh boy....
                                may be I could put the plane in pieces with it during flight... it
                                was confiscated.,.....

                                there is room to invent more stupid stuff by the administration.....

                                but at least in First and Business you are getting now again real
                                knifes, not anymore silver cutlery accompanied by a plastic knife....

                                Willy
                                http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu422.html ( Rio de Janeiro)

                                On Jan 7, 2008, at 15:27, Keith Martin wrote:

                                > Sometime around 4/1/08 (at 21:46 -0500) John Riley said:
                                >
                                > >They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                                > >toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction
                                >
                                > Ah well, a sacrificial tube of toothpaste is a small price to pay. :-)
                                >
                                > The wetpixel.com site has some more specific info on this subject,
                                > and it appears that we are indeed safe; the batteries we deal with
                                > for digital SLRs are not even nearly big enough to be counted in the
                                > restrictions. But all batteries must be transported in carry-on
                                > luggage.
                                >
                                > http://tinyurl.com/2zmeay
                                >
                                > (It is also true that this still just affects US airspace travel. But
                                > it could easily become a standard restriction in other places too.)

                                Willy Kaemena

                                http://bremen.360cities.net/
                                http://syria.360cities.net/
                                http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                              • Pat Swovelin
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                                  On 1/7/2008 9:27 AM, Keith Martin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                  and typed ...:
                                  > Sometime around 4/1/08 (at 21:46 -0500) John Riley said:
                                  >
                                  >> They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                                  >> toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction
                                  >
                                  > Ah well, a sacrificial tube of toothpaste is a small price to pay. :-)
                                  >
                                  > The wetpixel.com site has some more specific info on this subject,
                                  > and it appears that we are indeed safe; the batteries we deal with
                                  > for digital SLRs are not even nearly big enough to be counted in the
                                  > restrictions. But all batteries must be transported in carry-on
                                  > luggage.

                                  It seems that the real problem is the limit of 2 spare batteries per
                                  device. As photographers that's the one that'll bite us.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                                    Sometime around 7/1/08 (at 14:20 -0800) Pat Swovelin said:

                                    >It seems that the real problem is the limit of 2 spare batteries per
                                    >device. As photographers that's the one that'll bite us.

                                    Don't worry, it shouldn't. Not unless you pack mega-huge battery
                                    packs! The kind of batteries we use contain just a fraction of the
                                    *lower* limit of Lithium-ion. Batteries that contain less than 8g are
                                    not included in the restrictions; ours typically contain 1g or less.

                                    Whether you run into trouble with an overzealous security guard is
                                    another matter of course, but the fact is that our batteries are not
                                    meant to be included in the restrictions. That can be demonstrated
                                    using some relatively simple calculations. Simple when you know them
                                    of course!

                                    Some info is here: http://tinyurl.com/2zmeay

                                  • John Riley
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                                      On Jan 7, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Keith Martin wrote:

                                      > >They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                                      > >toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction
                                      >
                                      > Ah well, a sacrificial tube of toothpaste is a small price to pay. :-)

                                      But if I can't brush my teeth, doesn't that mean the terrorist have
                                      already won? (he says, parodying a particular political faction)

                                      John Riley
                                      johnriley@...
                                      jriley@...

                                    • Pat Swovelin
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                                        On 1/7/2008 4:02 PM, John Riley's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                                        typed ...:
                                        >>> They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                                        >>> toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction
                                        >> Ah well, a sacrificial tube of toothpaste is a small price to pay. :-)
                                        >
                                        > But if I can't brush my teeth, doesn't that mean the terrorist have
                                        > already won? (he says, parodying a particular political faction)

                                        No, it means you're one of them. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

                                        Pat Swovelin
                                        Cool Guy @ Large
                                      • Georgia Real Tours
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 8, 2008
                                          Hi Pat,

                                          On 1/7/08, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                                          > It seems that the real problem is the limit of 2 spare batteries per
                                          > device. As photographers that's the one that'll bite us.

                                          I think you are misinterpreting the restrictions. It is a limit of
                                          two batteries which have a Li-On content above 8mg and below 25g with
                                          a 25g limit aggregate. And of course, the 25g limit applies as a
                                          total of your batteries.

                                          It bears to remember that cellphone batteries are often Li-On. And so
                                          are many rechargeable AA and AAA batteries, plus many (if not all)
                                          little cell batteries (coin-size) contain lithium. Also, those
                                          uber-expensive Duracell and Energizer (and other brands) that claim
                                          incredible long life often are lithium powered. All of these need to
                                          be taken into account besides just laptop and camera batteries.

                                          If you are going to travel, look for NiMH batteries which last longer,
                                          charge faster, and have much less a problem with memory development
                                          (though you should never let a rechargeable battery ever drain all the
                                          way down). IIRC, those aren't a problem.

                                          Lastly, keep an eye out for sealed lead-acid batteries which I believe
                                          are not allowed whatsoever on carry-on, and probably not allowed on
                                          checked baggage either. Awesome little batteries, but certainly I
                                          would consider them more hazardous than Li-On.

                                          Cheers,
                                          Robert~

                                          --
                                          Mid GA: 478-599-1300