D300 - Winter experience

  • Jean-Marc Paratte
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
      I'm trying a D300 from 1 month. Very nice but...

      I'have an old D70. Many times I have made some photos and panoramas
      with cold winter conditions, with temperature below 0°C, for example:
      about -15°C ambiant temperature and 1 hour in a rucksack before use it.

      This is impossible with the D300, one of the internal processors fails
      at 0°C and below.

      After bying and trying mine, I have finally read the detailled
      technical specifications and found this:

      Operating Environment: Temperature 0-40 degrees C/32-104 degrees F:
      under 85 percent (no condensation)

      Has anybody a solution to warn up the camera in a rucksack?

      Jean-Marc
    • Carel
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
        Jean-Marc Paratte wrote:

        > ..........<snip>................
        >
        > Has anybody a solution to warn up the camera in a rucksack?
        >
        > Jean-Marc

        The simplest would be one of those handwarming devices, such as at this
        randomly picked link:
        http://www.heatfactory.com/hand-warmers.html
        I dont know what kind of volatiles are released in the chemical reaction, so
        the camera should probably be kept in a plastic zip-lock bag. You may be
        able to keep the camera from cooling down too rapidly while shooting by
        taping one of these handwarming devices to the camera.
        More for shock-proofing than for warming, I have been experimenting with
        small thermal bags inside my backpack. These bags are used for keeping food
        warm or cold.

        Carel Struycken

      • Matthias Taugwalder
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
          Hi Jean-Marc

          I was a bit shocked when I first read your post. Because I also have my new
          D300 just a few weeks and if the camera would not may be used in low
          temperature, I would have a very big problem for my work... Therefore I just
          checked the manual of the Nikon D70 and D200 cameras as well and it seems
          that the Operating environment specification is standard for all Nikon
          cameras.

          So far I hadn't the chance to test the D300 out at extreme conditions, but I
          also own a D200 and D70. For those cameras I can say I tested them out quite
          in extreme conditions: Temperatures of -15° to -20° C (5° to -4° F) and
          extreme wind conditions with 1 or 2 hours of shooting, and they never
          failed. I was especially surprised by the life-time of Nikon batteries,
          which last very, very long...

          Best regards,

          Matthias

          --
          Matthias Taugwalder
          matthias.taugwalder@...

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Marc Paratte" <jmparatte@...> wrote:

            > I'm trying a D300 from 1 month. Very nice but...
            >
            > I'have an old D70. Many times I have made some photos and panoramas
            > with cold winter conditions, with temperature below 0°C, for example:
            > about -15°C ambiant temperature and 1 hour in a rucksack before use it.
            >
            > This is impossible with the D300, one of the internal processors fails
            > at 0°C and below.
            >
            > After bying and trying mine, I have finally read the detailled
            > technical specifications and found this:
            >
            > Operating Environment: Temperature 0-40 degrees C/32-104 degrees F:
            > under 85 percent (no condensation)

            This is a standard formula in all manuals. Canon and Nikons etc.
            A couple of years ago I was involved as a consult for an expedition to Greenland.
            I did a lot of investigations before and found a lot of people using digitals in extreme
            conditions without problems.

            The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and used it under constant
            temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
            For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm. Worked perfect.

            I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40 degree C
            The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a specification for it and it also
            kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it worked.

            I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical Zoo every year with a
            humidity of 90-95%
            You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before you can take any
            images.

            Hans
          • Jean-Marc Paratte
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
              I have verified 3 or 4 times the problem of my D300.
              Teh last time for example:
              I'm going outdoor about 2 hours.
              Temperature was -1°C.
              The D300 works about 10 min and after fails.
              The D300 recovers correct fonctions after a warm up of 30 min.

              As I understand the problem, it's the new lighting/focusing/lense
              calculator which fails, the main body processor doesn't have problem.
              Buttons, display, shooter continue to operate.
              In mode P, the display shows varying speed as 1/2000 with always F0.
              And shoot is black!

              I think there is the same problem with the D3 because it's the same
              lighting processor.

              Can other people confirm the problem ?

              Jean-Marc

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Marc Paratte"
              <jmparatte@> wrote:

              > > I'm trying a D300 from 1 month. Very nice but...
              > >
              > > I'have an old D70. Many times I have made some photos and
              panoramas
              > > with cold winter conditions, with temperature below 0°C, for
              example:
              > > about -15°C ambiant temperature and 1 hour in a rucksack before
              use it.

              > > This is impossible with the D300, one of the internal processors
              fails
              > > at 0°C and below.
              > >
              > > After bying and trying mine, I have finally read the detailled
              > > technical specifications and found this:
              > >
              > > Operating Environment: Temperature 0-40 degrees C/32-104 degrees
              F:
              > > under 85 percent (no condensation)
              >
              > This is a standard formula in all manuals. Canon and Nikons etc.
              > A couple of years ago I was involved as a consult for an expedition
              to Greenland.
              > I did a lot of investigations before and found a lot of people
              using digitals in extreme
              > conditions without problems.
              >
              > The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and used
              it under constant
              > temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
              > For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm. Worked
              perfect.

              > I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40
              degree C
              > The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a
              specification for it and it also
              > kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it
              worked.

              > I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical Zoo
              every year with a
              > humidity of 90-95%
              > You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before
              you can take any
              > images.
              >
              > Hans

            • Ricardo Araujo
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
                Hi Jean,

                You can read the report of a field test of D300 in Antartica taking
                pictures at -70°C.
                http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d300/nikond300test.html
                (Germany only)
                Gallery at:
                http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d300/antarktis-fotos.html
                I hope it can help you.

                acessar o site <http://www.tourvirtualbrasil.com.br>

                Jean-Marc Paratte escreveu:

                > I have verified 3 or 4 times the problem of my D300.
                > Teh last time for example:
                > I'm going outdoor about 2 hours.
                > Temperature was -1°C.
                > The D300 works about 10 min and after fails.
                > The D300 recovers correct fonctions after a warm up of 30 min.
                >
                > As I understand the problem, it's the new lighting/focusing/lense
                > calculator which fails, the main body processor doesn't have problem.
                > Buttons, display, shooter continue to operate.
                > In mode P, the display shows varying speed as 1/2000 with always F0.
                > And shoot is black!
                >
                > I think there is the same problem with the D3 because it's the same
                > lighting processor.
                >
                > Can other people confirm the problem ?
                >
                > Jean-Marc
                >
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jean-Marc Paratte"
                > <jmparatte@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I'm trying a D300 from 1 month. Very nice but...
                > > >
                > > > I'have an old D70. Many times I have made some photos and
                > panoramas
                > > > with cold winter conditions, with temperature below 0°C, for
                > example:
                > > > about -15°C ambiant temperature and 1 hour in a rucksack before
                > use it.
                > > >
                > > > This is impossible with the D300, one of the internal processors
                > fails
                > > > at 0°C and below.
                > > >
                > > > After bying and trying mine, I have finally read the detailled
                > > > technical specifications and found this:
                > > >
                > > > Operating Environment: Temperature 0-40 degrees C/32-104 degrees
                > F:
                > > > under 85 percent (no condensation)
                > >
                > > This is a standard formula in all manuals. Canon and Nikons etc.
                > > A couple of years ago I was involved as a consult for an expedition
                > to Greenland.
                > > I did a lot of investigations before and found a lot of people
                > using digitals in extreme
                > > conditions without problems.
                > >
                > > The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and used
                > it under constant
                > > temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
                > > For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm. Worked
                > perfect.
                > >
                > > I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40
                > degree C
                > > The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a
                > specification for it and it also
                > > kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it
                > worked.
                > >
                > > I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical Zoo
                > every year with a
                > > humidity of 90-95%
                > > You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before
                > you can take any
                > > images.
                > >
                > > Hans

              • Flemming V. Larsen
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                  From: "Ricardo Araujo"

                  >Hi Jean,
                  >
                  >You can read the report of a field test of D300 in Antartica taking
                  >pictures at -70°C.
                  >http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d300/nikond300test.html
                  >(Germany only)

                  Here is an english verison:
                  http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_nikon_d300_antartica.php
                • matt_nolan_uaf
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Hi. I was thinking of buying a d300, specifically to use in the
                    Arctic, where the better high ISO settings could reduce noise in the
                    low light winter environments. I'm very interested to get feedback
                    from other cold weather users. Or perhaps temperate latitude users
                    could put one in a freezer for a few hours and try it out. (I would
                    recommend to keep it in a ziplock when taking from the freezer to a
                    warm room, to prevent internal condensation).
                    -Matt
                  • Joergen Geerds
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
                      hi matt,

                      i do not own a d300, but i've been using a 400d for a
                      year now (2 winters in NYC, not quite arctic, but
                      quite cold to me). the camera takes cold much better
                      than I do. a 720 mAh battery lasts about 400
                      exposures, a 1000 mAh about 500. they are both in good
                      condition, and gave about 10% less juice at
                      temperatures below -5C (bracketed exposures 2-8-30
                      sec) compared to summer (subjective, no hard data to
                      prove).

                      the camera worked fine at temperatures between -5C and
                      -15C for at least 1-2h (i didn't stay out longer than
                      that), as a matter of fact, i do believe the camera
                      noise was slightly reduced, but i can't really prove
                      that. i would only advice to keep the spare batteries
                      warm in your pant pockets.

                      I do believe that a d300 would react basically the
                      same, since the build-quality of nikon and canon are
                      quite comparable.

                      good luck

                      joergen
                      luminous-newyork.com

                      --- matt_nolan_uaf <matt.nolan@...> wrote:

                      > Hi. I was thinking of buying a d300, specifically
                      > to use in the
                      > Arctic, where the better high ISO settings could
                      > reduce noise in the
                      > low light winter environments. I'm very interested
                      > to get feedback
                      > from other cold weather users. Or perhaps temperate
                      > latitude users
                      > could put one in a freezer for a few hours and try
                      > it out. (I would
                      > recommend to keep it in a ziplock when taking from
                      > the freezer to a
                      > warm room, to prevent internal condensation).
                      > -Matt

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Jean-Marc Paratte
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                        Dear members,

                        I'have found new ideas to check the problem of my D300.

                        Reading the Antartica experience, I have found one common lense,
                        one I have: the AF-S VR 70-200mm 1:2.8G ED.
                        With this lense my D300 seams to be working.
                        I don't have fully tested because temperature is now hot in my
                        country.

                        The bad lense is AF-S 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED DX.

                        As soon as possible, I will check another lense I have:
                        Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG

                        Jean-Marc

                        <jmparatte@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > conditions without problems.
                        > >
                        > > The photographer brought a Canon 10D with him to Greenland and
                        used
                        > it under constant
                        > > temperatur of -35-45 degree celcius.
                        > > For more than 4 weeks. Just had to keep the batteries warm.
                        Worked
                        > perfect.
                        > >
                        > > I also tested rotators for panoramaheads at temperature of -30-40
                        > degree C
                        > > The Manfrotto 300N was the only one which actually had a
                        > specification for it and it also
                        > > kept what it said. I had my deepfreezer at -35 degrees and it
                        > worked.
                        > >
                        > > I have used the Canon 60D, 10D the 20D and my 5D in a tropical
                        Zoo
                        > every year with a
                        > > humidity of 90-95%
                        > > You just have to be patient and sometimes wait 30 minutes before

                      • Hans Nyberg
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                          Have you seen this thread
                          http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=25904242

                          As you found that different lenses make a difference you should note the comment about
                          the grease on the contacts.
                          It would probably be trigged by low temperatures.

                          Hans