[PanoToolsNG] new international rule about batteries

  • Carel
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
      To make air travel even more unpleasant, there is a new rule which stipulates
      that one has to carry spare lithium batteries in hand luggage, no more than
      two batteries allowed and they have to be in their original packaging or in
      a ziplock bag. This is supposed to make them safe from catching fire, which
      makes one wonder why only two spares are allowed if they wont catch fire
      anyhow when properly packaged.
      http://tinyurl.com/3a5jm2
      Usually I travel with two spare batteries per camera (which makes 4) and I
      just ordered a universal battery, which can be used for any device that
      works in the range 3.5v-12v.
      http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=919
      I wonder how we are supposed to deal with this. Buy batteries locally and
      give them away before returning home...?

      Carel Struycken
    • sphereworks
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
        This is daft !!

        Pete
        www.sphereworks.co.uk

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

        > To make air travel even more unpleasant, there is a new rule which
        stipulates
        > that one has to carry spare lithium batteries in hand luggage, no
        more than
        > two batteries allowed and they have to be in their original
        packaging or in
        > a ziplock bag. This is supposed to make them safe from catching
        fire, which
        > makes one wonder why only two spares are allowed if they wont catch
        fire
        > anyhow when properly packaged.
        > http://tinyurl.com/3a5jm2
        > Usually I travel with two spare batteries per camera (which makes
        4) and I
        > just ordered a universal battery, which can be used for any device
        that
        > works in the range 3.5v-12v.
        > http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=919
        > I wonder how we are supposed to deal with this. Buy batteries
        locally and
        > give them away before returning home...?
        >
        > Carel Struycken

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
          Sometime around 1/1/08 (at 09:57 -0800) Carel said:

          >To make air travel even more unpleasant, there is a new rule which stipulates
          >that one has to carry spare lithium batteries in hand luggage

          So what's going to happen, check-in luggage scanned for the illegal
          presence of an extra couple of camera batteries? This sounds close to
          ludicrous.

        • Jean-Marc Paratte
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
            Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
            at end of this page:
            http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

            Jean-Marc

            > Sometime around 1/1/08 (at 09:57 -0800) Carel said:
            >
            > >To make air travel even more unpleasant, there is a new rule which
            stipulates
            > >that one has to carry spare lithium batteries in hand luggage
            >
            > So what's going to happen, check-in luggage scanned for the illegal
            > presence of an extra couple of camera batteries? This sounds close to
            > ludicrous.

          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
              Note that these rules appear to be US-specific - I've not read
              anything about them applying in other countries.

              When I flew from Germany to Amsterdam to the UK last week there
              weren't any leaflets or posters about this *anywhere*.

              Ian

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
                Sometime around 1/1/08 (at 19:26 +0000) Jean-Marc Paratte said:

                >Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
                >at end of this page:
                ><http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html>http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

                Well, Scooby Doo! For a site that's got so much specific detail
                that's spectacularly unhelpful. :-)

                But with a quick look at
                http://www.camerahacker.com/Definitions/Battery_Capacity_Conversion.shtml
                and some basic calculations, it seems that the Li-ion battery in my
                old D70 (7.5V 1400mAh) delivers approximately 10.5 'watt-hours'.

                (The maths: Although an electrician would point out that this isn't
                *entirely* accurate, it is possible to determine watts if you know
                amps and volts. Or in our case, watt-hours from milliamp-hours and
                volts. The calculation is amp * volts = watts, or (mAh * 1000) *
                volts = watt-hours.)

                According to the Safe Travel site, 8g of 'equivalent lithium content'
                delivers approximately 100 watt-hours. So it seems that my 1400mAh
                D70 battery has a fraction more than 0.8g of 'equivalent lithium
                content'.

                The site then says very specifically:

                "You can also bring up to two spare batteries
                with an aggregate equivalent lithium content
                of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries
                that fall below the 8-gram threshold."

                The line "in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram
                threshold" would seem to cover us for an open-ended quantity of dSLR
                batteries of any kind I've ever seen.

                Even if I've made a big error in the above calculations (it seems
                pretty dang clear but all things are possible) our batteries are
                significantly less beefy than the kind of laptop extender powerpack
                or prosumer camcorder batteries the site shows.

                I think we're safe. And if someone's still worried, take the formulae
                with you, perhaps laid out to look nice 'n' official, and use that to
                justify your dozens of spare Li-ion batteries. And remember to be
                clear that they aren't Lithium Metal batteries. :-)

                Department of Transport?
                Department of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, more like...

              • pjb74nz
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
                  I would have thought it would be easier and cheaper to force the
                  manufacturers to make safe batteries than have to check millions of
                  passengers each year.

                  Peter Banks
                  NZ

                  > Sometime around 1/1/08 (at 19:26 +0000) Jean-Marc Paratte said:
                  >
                  > >Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
                  > >at end of this page:
                  >
                  ><http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html>http://safetravel
                  .dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

                  > Well, Scooby Doo! For a site that's got so much specific detail
                  > that's spectacularly unhelpful. :-)
                  >
                  > But with a quick look at

                  http://www.camerahacker.com/Definitions/Battery_Capacity_Conversion.sh
                  tml
                  > and some basic calculations, it seems that the Li-ion battery in my
                  > old D70 (7.5V 1400mAh) delivers approximately 10.5 'watt-hours'.
                  >
                  > (The maths: Although an electrician would point out that this isn't
                  > *entirely* accurate, it is possible to determine watts if you know
                  > amps and volts. Or in our case, watt-hours from milliamp-hours and
                  > volts. The calculation is amp * volts = watts, or (mAh * 1000) *
                  > volts = watt-hours.)
                  >
                  > According to the Safe Travel site, 8g of 'equivalent lithium
                  content'
                  > delivers approximately 100 watt-hours. So it seems that my 1400mAh
                  > D70 battery has a fraction more than 0.8g of 'equivalent lithium
                  > content'.
                  >
                  > The site then says very specifically:
                  >
                  > "You can also bring up to two spare batteries
                  > with an aggregate equivalent lithium content
                  > of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries
                  > that fall below the 8-gram threshold."
                  >
                  > The line "in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram
                  > threshold" would seem to cover us for an open-ended quantity of
                  dSLR
                  > batteries of any kind I've ever seen.
                  >
                  > Even if I've made a big error in the above calculations (it seems
                  > pretty dang clear but all things are possible) our batteries are
                  > significantly less beefy than the kind of laptop extender powerpack
                  > or prosumer camcorder batteries the site shows.
                  >
                  > I think we're safe. And if someone's still worried, take the
                  formulae
                  > with you, perhaps laid out to look nice 'n' official, and use that
                  > justify your dozens of spare Li-ion batteries. And remember to be
                  > clear that they aren't Lithium Metal batteries. :-)
                  >

                  > Department of Transport?
                  > Department of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, more like...

                • mrjimbo
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 1, 2008
                    Peter,
                    With all due respect. I think it's more about the what national security is in at the present moment.. Shall I suggest a misguided muscle..
                    I cannot have on my on board luggage a flask of B&B.
                    I have had cuticle scissors confiscated (every time) .. yet they allow 5mm lead pencils and 10 / 12 inch long knitting needles. Duh .. what can I say.. The truth is that if onewanted to get something on the plane I honestly don't feel all their efforts will detour it. .. the presesnt security system would not detour me if I choose to be creative.. I personally belive that it is but a show and tell for shall I say regular people to justify the costs of trying to figure out somethings that are probably beyond their capicity to figure out. OK sorry I'm done..

                    I would have thought it would be easier and cheaper to force the
                    manufacturers to make safe batteries than have to check millions of
                    passengers each year.

                    Peter Banks
                    NZ

                    > Sometime around 1/1/08 (at 19:26 +0000) Jean-Marc Paratte said:
                    >
                    > >Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
                    > >at end of this page:
                    >
                    ><http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html>http://safetravel
                    .dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

                    > Well, Scooby Doo! For a site that's got so much specific detail
                    > that's spectacularly unhelpful. :-)
                    >
                    > But with a quick look at

                    http://www.camerahacker.com/Definitions/Battery_Capacity_Conversion.sh
                    tml
                    > and some basic calculations, it seems that the Li-ion battery in my
                    > old D70 (7.5V 1400mAh) delivers approximately 10.5 'watt-hours'.
                    >
                    > (The maths: Although an electrician would point out that this isn't
                    > *entirely* accurate, it is possible to determine watts if you know
                    > amps and volts. Or in our case, watt-hours from milliamp-hours and
                    > volts. The calculation is amp * volts = watts, or (mAh * 1000) *
                    > volts = watt-hours.)
                    >
                    > According to the Safe Travel site, 8g of 'equivalent lithium
                    content'
                    > delivers approximately 100 watt-hours. So it seems that my 1400mAh
                    > D70 battery has a fraction more than 0.8g of 'equivalent lithium
                    > content'.
                    >
                    > The site then says very specifically:
                    >
                    > "You can also bring up to two spare batteries
                    > with an aggregate equivalent lithium content
                    > of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries
                    > that fall below the 8-gram threshold."
                    >
                    > The line "in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram
                    > threshold" would seem to cover us for an open-ended quantity of
                    dSLR
                    > batteries of any kind I've ever seen.
                    >
                    > Even if I've made a big error in the above calculations (it seems
                    > pretty dang clear but all things are possible) our batteries are
                    > significantly less beefy than the kind of laptop extender powerpack
                    > or prosumer camcorder batteries the site shows.
                    >
                    > I think we're safe. And if someone's still worried, take the
                    formulae
                    > with you, perhaps laid out to look nice 'n' official, and use that
                    > justify your dozens of spare Li-ion batteries. And remember to be
                    > clear that they aren't Lithium Metal batteries. :-)
                    >

                    > Department of Transport?
                    > Department of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, more like...

                  • dmgalpha
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 2, 2008
                      I love the way some US media interprets "International".

                      For those in Canada check CSTSA web site for restrictions in this country.

                      http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/travel_voyage/notice_avis/index.shtml

                      --dmg

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

                      > To make air travel even more unpleasant, there is a new rule which
                      stipulates
                      > that one has to carry spare lithium batteries in hand luggage, no
                      more than
                      > two batteries allowed and they have to be in their original
                      packaging or in
                      > a ziplock bag. This is supposed to make them safe from catching
                      fire, which
                      > makes one wonder why only two spares are allowed if they wont catch fire
                      > anyhow when properly packaged.
                      > http://tinyurl.com/3a5jm2
                      > Usually I travel with two spare batteries per camera (which makes 4)
                      and I
                      > just ordered a universal battery, which can be used for any device that
                      > works in the range 3.5v-12v.
                      > http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=919
                      > I wonder how we are supposed to deal with this. Buy batteries
                      locally and
                      > give them away before returning home...?
                      >
                      > Carel Struycken

                    • Pat Swovelin
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 3, 2008
                        On 1/1/2008 12:12 PM, Ian Wood rambled on about ...:
                        > Note that these rules appear to be US-specific - I've not read
                        > anything about them applying in other countries.

                        True but a lot of people, both on and off of this list, will enter/exit
                        US airspace and that's when they'll ding you for being the mad terrorist
                        Li-On battery bomber and you'll wind up with a stay in Guantanamo Naval
                        Base that includes free room and board ... indefinitely.

                        > When I flew from Germany to Amsterdam to the UK last week there
                        > weren't any leaflets or posters about this *anywhere*.
                        >
                        > Ian
                        >
                        > On 1 Jan 2008, at 19:26, Jean-Marc Paratte wrote:
                        >
                        >> Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
                        >> at end of this page:
                        >> http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • Pat Swovelin
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 3, 2008
                          On 1/1/2008 12:42 PM, Keith Martin rambled on about ...:
                          > Sometime around 1/1/08 (at 19:26 +0000) Jean-Marc Paratte said:
                          >
                          >> Read "GUIDE TO RULES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008"
                          >> at end of this page:
                          >> <http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html>http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html
                          >
                          > Well, Scooby Doo! For a site that's got so much specific detail
                          > that's spectacularly unhelpful. :-)
                          >
                          > But with a quick look at
                          > http://www.camerahacker.com/Definitions/Battery_Capacity_Conversion.shtml
                          > and some basic calculations, it seems that the Li-ion battery in my
                          > old D70 (7.5V 1400mAh) delivers approximately 10.5 'watt-hours'.
                          >
                          > (The maths: Although an electrician would point out that this isn't
                          > *entirely* accurate, it is possible to determine watts if you know
                          > amps and volts. Or in our case, watt-hours from milliamp-hours and
                          > volts. The calculation is amp * volts = watts, or (mAh * 1000) *
                          > volts = watt-hours.)
                          >
                          > According to the Safe Travel site, 8g of 'equivalent lithium content'
                          > delivers approximately 100 watt-hours. So it seems that my 1400mAh
                          > D70 battery has a fraction more than 0.8g of 'equivalent lithium
                          > content'.
                          >
                          > The site then says very specifically:
                          >
                          > "You can also bring up to two spare batteries
                          > with an aggregate equivalent lithium content
                          > of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries
                          > that fall below the 8-gram threshold."
                          >
                          > The line "in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram
                          > threshold" would seem to cover us for an open-ended quantity of dSLR
                          > batteries of any kind I've ever seen.
                          >
                          > Even if I've made a big error in the above calculations (it seems
                          > pretty dang clear but all things are possible) our batteries are
                          > significantly less beefy than the kind of laptop extender powerpack
                          > or prosumer camcorder batteries the site shows.
                          >
                          > I think we're safe. And if someone's still worried, take the formulae
                          > with you, perhaps laid out to look nice 'n' official, and use that to
                          > justify your dozens of spare Li-ion batteries. And remember to be
                          > clear that they aren't Lithium Metal batteries. :-)

                          Have you ever had a conversation with anyone in the TSA at the security
                          check-in point and/or someone from Homeland Security? It's like talking
                          physics with your dog. It's a waste of your time and it just irritates
                          the dog.

                          Seriously. These people just won't/can't listen to reason.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 4, 2008
                            Sometime around 3/1/08 (at 22:02 -0800) Pat Swovelin said:

                            >Have you ever had a conversation with anyone in the TSA at the security
                            >check-in point and/or someone from Homeland Security?

                            Well, not someone badged as Homeland Security, but I have had to
                            explain the large, suspicious lump of highly-machined metal and the
                            metal tubes in my carry-on bag to jumpy check-in security in San
                            Francisco a couple of different times.

                            The 360P Absolute head is a little scary (especially on x-rays) if
                            you're looking for terrorists and don't have a clue about what it
                            really is! Tripod parts just compound the problem too... but it was
                            never worryingly difficult to explain. So far anyway.

                            If I ever need to explain multiple batteries I'll leave the physics
                            calculations for later and just say "oh, these all fall into the
                            official 'small battery' category, they're well under the limit".
                            Being clear, calm, confident and cooperative (the four Cs) normally
                            helps a lot.

                            The fact is, the people checking bags want to stop terrorists and
                            other criminals, not futz about with honest and cooperative
                            passengers. I've seen (second-hand) how petty they *can* be if
                            handled wrongly, but if they're convinced that you're *really*
                            harmless - and honestly are trying to stay in line - then human
                            nature will begin to work on your side. Or so my experience has shown
                            on a number of occasions... :-)

                            Hmm. Perhaps now is the right point to say "your mileage may vary"?

                          • Serge Maandag
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 4, 2008
                              > If I ever need to explain multiple batteries I'll leave the physics
                              > calculations for later and just say "oh, these all fall into the
                              > official 'small battery' category, they're well under the limit".
                              > Being clear, calm, confident and cooperative (the four Cs) normally
                              > helps a lot.

                              Hmm,

                              I scored good on all 4 Cs when I went to Norway. Yet the sporty looks of my car and
                              the Dutch license plate were enough to have them interrogate me and my girlfriend in
                              a room while a drug sniffing dog was drooling all over my car and opened bags.
                              Yuck..

                              Amsterdams reputation bit me in the backside on this occasion. Ofcourse they didn't
                              find anything, so after an hour I was on my way to the nearest drycleaner. A bad way
                              to start your holiday..

                              Serge.
                            • John Riley
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 4, 2008
                                On Jan 4, 2008, at 7:20 AM, Keith Martin wrote:

                                > >Have you ever had a conversation with anyone in the TSA at the
                                > security
                                > >check-in point and/or someone from Homeland Security?
                                >
                                > Well, not someone badged as Homeland Security, but I have had to
                                > explain the large, suspicious lump of highly-machined metal and the
                                > metal tubes in my carry-on bag to jumpy check-in security in San
                                > Francisco a couple of different times.

                                They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                                toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction because I
                                forgot to check it. I have gone through security with a bag full of
                                lenses, camera, 360Precision Absolute, computer, palm device, cell
                                phone, ipod, gps, external hard disk and all the assorted wiring (I
                                was traveling abroad for 8 months, so I had my life with me) and they
                                didn't even open the bag. But I had to ditch the toothpaste!

                                John Riley
                                johnriley@...
                                jriley@...

                              • Pat Swovelin
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 5, 2008
                                  On 1/4/2008 4:20 AM, Keith Martin rambled on about ...:
                                  > The fact is, the people checking bags want to stop terrorists and
                                  > other criminals, not futz about with honest and cooperative
                                  > passengers. I've seen (second-hand) how petty they *can* be if
                                  > handled wrongly, but if they're convinced that you're *really*
                                  > harmless - and honestly are trying to stay in line - then human
                                  > nature will begin to work on your side. Or so my experience has shown
                                  > on a number of occasions... :-)

                                  Yes they do want to stop the bad guys but they're undertrained ill paid
                                  cop wannabees with a badge. 2 years ago I flew to Mexico City and
                                  before I checked my bags I showed a bunch of stuff to the TSA guy at the
                                  X-ray machine to get his approval for everything in my camera bag.
                                  There was maybe 1 item he said I should put in my checked bags. I did
                                  and I had no problems ... until I tried getting on the plane in Mexico
                                  City to come home. They totally freaked when they "found" (like I was
                                  hiding it) my MONSTER 3" crescent wrench. It was considered a tool and
                                  it wasn't getting on the plane with me. My screwdrivers were OK (they
                                  weren't tools). My 6" long Allen wrench was OK (it wasn't a tool). The
                                  3" crescent wrench was a tool would cause the plane to fall out of the
                                  sky or I'd somehow use it to take the nuts off of the cockpit door and
                                  overpower the crew with it (This is a hijacking! Take me to Cuba or
                                  I'll take more nuts off of stuff!) and it wasn't going on the plane with me.

                                  And these guys are less picky than the US security agents are.

                                  Of course they may have been having a bad hair day ... or I was. =8^)

                                  When I got back to the States I asked one of the security guys about it
                                  and he said it's OK here but they have a different list. Swell...

                                  > Hmm. Perhaps now is the right point to say "your mileage may vary"?

                                  It will only vary IF you can get on the plane. =8^)

                                  Pat Swovelin
                                  Cool Guy @ Large
                                • Keith Martin
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                                    Sometime around 4/1/08 (at 21:46 -0500) John Riley said:

                                    >They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                                    >toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction

                                    Ah well, a sacrificial tube of toothpaste is a small price to pay. :-)

                                    The wetpixel.com site has some more specific info on this subject,
                                    and it appears that we are indeed safe; the batteries we deal with
                                    for digital SLRs are not even nearly big enough to be counted in the
                                    restrictions. But all batteries must be transported in carry-on
                                    luggage.

                                    http://tinyurl.com/2zmeay

                                    (It is also true that this still just affects US airspace travel. But
                                    it could easily become a standard restriction in other places too.)

                                  • panokaemena@mac.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                                      well who has no problems....... can think about how to create some
                                      more.....

                                      once they found a little Allen key in my camera back..... oh boy....
                                      may be I could put the plane in pieces with it during flight... it
                                      was confiscated.,.....

                                      there is room to invent more stupid stuff by the administration.....

                                      but at least in First and Business you are getting now again real
                                      knifes, not anymore silver cutlery accompanied by a plastic knife....

                                      Willy
                                      http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu422.html ( Rio de Janeiro)

                                      On Jan 7, 2008, at 15:27, Keith Martin wrote:

                                      > Sometime around 4/1/08 (at 21:46 -0500) John Riley said:
                                      >
                                      > >They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                                      > >toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction
                                      >
                                      > Ah well, a sacrificial tube of toothpaste is a small price to pay. :-)
                                      >
                                      > The wetpixel.com site has some more specific info on this subject,
                                      > and it appears that we are indeed safe; the batteries we deal with
                                      > for digital SLRs are not even nearly big enough to be counted in the
                                      > restrictions. But all batteries must be transported in carry-on
                                      > luggage.
                                      >
                                      > http://tinyurl.com/2zmeay
                                      >
                                      > (It is also true that this still just affects US airspace travel. But
                                      > it could easily become a standard restriction in other places too.)

                                      Willy Kaemena

                                      http://bremen.360cities.net/
                                      http://syria.360cities.net/
                                      http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                                    • Pat Swovelin
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                                        On 1/7/2008 9:27 AM, Keith Martin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                        and typed ...:
                                        > Sometime around 4/1/08 (at 21:46 -0500) John Riley said:
                                        >
                                        >> They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                                        >> toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction
                                        >
                                        > Ah well, a sacrificial tube of toothpaste is a small price to pay. :-)
                                        >
                                        > The wetpixel.com site has some more specific info on this subject,
                                        > and it appears that we are indeed safe; the batteries we deal with
                                        > for digital SLRs are not even nearly big enough to be counted in the
                                        > restrictions. But all batteries must be transported in carry-on
                                        > luggage.

                                        It seems that the real problem is the limit of 2 spare batteries per
                                        device. As photographers that's the one that'll bite us.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                                          Sometime around 7/1/08 (at 14:20 -0800) Pat Swovelin said:

                                          >It seems that the real problem is the limit of 2 spare batteries per
                                          >device. As photographers that's the one that'll bite us.

                                          Don't worry, it shouldn't. Not unless you pack mega-huge battery
                                          packs! The kind of batteries we use contain just a fraction of the
                                          *lower* limit of Lithium-ion. Batteries that contain less than 8g are
                                          not included in the restrictions; ours typically contain 1g or less.

                                          Whether you run into trouble with an overzealous security guard is
                                          another matter of course, but the fact is that our batteries are not
                                          meant to be included in the restrictions. That can be demonstrated
                                          using some relatively simple calculations. Simple when you know them
                                          of course!

                                          Some info is here: http://tinyurl.com/2zmeay

                                        • John Riley
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                                            On Jan 7, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Keith Martin wrote:

                                            > >They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                                            > >toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction
                                            >
                                            > Ah well, a sacrificial tube of toothpaste is a small price to pay. :-)

                                            But if I can't brush my teeth, doesn't that mean the terrorist have
                                            already won? (he says, parodying a particular political faction)

                                            John Riley
                                            johnriley@...
                                            jriley@...

                                          • Pat Swovelin
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 7, 2008
                                              On 1/7/2008 4:02 PM, John Riley's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                                              typed ...:
                                              >>> They usually seem much more concerned about my nice, new tube of
                                              >>> toothpaste! I always end up losing one in each direction
                                              >> Ah well, a sacrificial tube of toothpaste is a small price to pay. :-)
                                              >
                                              > But if I can't brush my teeth, doesn't that mean the terrorist have
                                              > already won? (he says, parodying a particular political faction)

                                              No, it means you're one of them. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

                                              Pat Swovelin
                                              Cool Guy @ Large
                                            • Georgia Real Tours
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 8, 2008
                                                Hi Pat,

                                                On 1/7/08, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                                                > It seems that the real problem is the limit of 2 spare batteries per
                                                > device. As photographers that's the one that'll bite us.

                                                I think you are misinterpreting the restrictions. It is a limit of
                                                two batteries which have a Li-On content above 8mg and below 25g with
                                                a 25g limit aggregate. And of course, the 25g limit applies as a
                                                total of your batteries.

                                                It bears to remember that cellphone batteries are often Li-On. And so
                                                are many rechargeable AA and AAA batteries, plus many (if not all)
                                                little cell batteries (coin-size) contain lithium. Also, those
                                                uber-expensive Duracell and Energizer (and other brands) that claim
                                                incredible long life often are lithium powered. All of these need to
                                                be taken into account besides just laptop and camera batteries.

                                                If you are going to travel, look for NiMH batteries which last longer,
                                                charge faster, and have much less a problem with memory development
                                                (though you should never let a rechargeable battery ever drain all the
                                                way down). IIRC, those aren't a problem.

                                                Lastly, keep an eye out for sealed lead-acid batteries which I believe
                                                are not allowed whatsoever on carry-on, and probably not allowed on
                                                checked baggage either. Awesome little batteries, but certainly I
                                                would consider them more hazardous than Li-On.

                                                Cheers,
                                                Robert~

                                                --
                                                Mid GA: 478-599-1300