Re: [PanoToolsNG] Pano2VR beta4 with video support

  • Thomas Rauscher
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
      Hello, on 31.12.2007 23:47 Uhr Milko K. Amorth said the following:
      > Hello Thomas,
      >
      > Great. Thank you. I am just trying a sample and got stuck...sort of:
      > I have got 284 eq frames 1500x750
      > Name convention sample_JV 001...002...up to ..284.jpg

      > The remap works on only one file....though i drop all of them on to the
      > droplet. The alert I get is:
      > "Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not
      > have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
      >
      > Is there a specific name convention just like in pano2qtvr object table?
      > Or do i have to feed each frame individually ?:-(

      The best way to create the droplet is without an input file. If you do
      that the output name is automatically $n_out.jpg where $n is a
      placeholder for the input file name. To use QuickTime as converter you
      need to have the numbers as the last part of the file name so you should
      change the name to something like out_$n.jpg or out\$n.jpg to save them
      in a subdirectory.

      Windows has also a very odd limitation for the number of dropped files
      on a desktop icon so usually only 2-5 files work. With beta4 you can now
      also drop a folder onto the droplet and all image files in it get
      processed. You can also use the "Batch Processing" in the "Tools" menu
      to process more than one file.

      Hope this helps.

      --
      MfG,
      Thomas
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 5, 2008
        > http://gg-sw.com/pano2vr_sample.php?demo=video

        Hi!
        What kind of equipment is used for producing 360 degrees videos like
        this? Any links and pointers ?

        Steve
      • wardnet2001
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > because of popular demand I added the video support to the regular
          > Pano2VR player. The video gets "injected" into a normal panorama and
          > simple replaces the normal image. The advantage is that you can set all
          > options like view limits, auto rotation, skin, hotspots(!) in the GUI
          > and you can add the video in the HTML code. And finally: *Happy new
          year!*

          > --
          > MfG,
          > Thomas

          Hi

          If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
          360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
          camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
          easy to achieve.

          I can also imagine fudging together a full 360 from one camera -
          obviously the result would be inaccurate regarding the timeline of one
          half of the sphere to the other, but it might be interesting for some
          subjects.

          Bill
        • Thomas Rauscher
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
            Hello, on 06.01.2008 0:54 Uhr nilsen.steve said the following:
            >> http://gg-sw.com/pano2vr_sample.php?demo=video
            >
            > Hi!
            > What kind of equipment is used for producing 360 degrees videos like
            > this? Any links and pointers ?

            This a demo movie from the LadyBug2 by Point Gray Research
            http://www.ptgrey.com/products/ladybug2/ .
            They where not able to provide me with a higher resolution video then
            1280x720 while they claim to support 5000x2500 with online stitching.
            The current price is about $10.000.

            You can do almost the same if you put 2 or 3 video cameras + Fisheye
            lenses together and batch stitch those images afterwards with PtGui or
            Hugin.

            iPix used to have a special lens that uses two fisheye lenses + 2
            mirrors to project the two image into one frame so they where able to
            record the video with only one camera. Maybe this thing is still
            available somewhere.

            If you only need a cylindrical panorama video you can also use a one
            shot mirror like from Kaidan http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=101 .

            --
            MfG,
            Thomas
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
              Hello, on 06.01.2008 13:23 Uhr wardnet2001 said the following:
              > Hi
              >
              > If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
              > 360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
              > camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
              > easy to achieve.
              >
              > I can also imagine fudging together a full 360 from one camera -
              > obviously the result would be inaccurate regarding the timeline of one
              > half of the sphere to the other, but it might be interesting for some
              > subjects.

              Sure you can do that because the video is only injected into a normal
              panorama. You can simply limit the view to the area that is covered by
              the video. You can also create a fake video where you use a static image
              or a shorter loop for the other 180° not covered by the camera.

              --
              MfG,
              Thomas
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
                Hi Bill,

                > If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
                > 360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
                > camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
                > easy to achieve.

                The motion panoramas from Helmut Dersch have been done with an FC-E8 on
                a Canon DV:
                http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html

                Cheers, Milko
              • wardnet2001
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
                  > The motion panoramas from Helmut Dersch have been done with an FC-E8 on
                  > a Canon DV:
                  > http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html
                  >

                  > Cheers, Milko

                  Hi

                  These are more like super wide angle "static" framed videos, rather
                  than click and drag pannable movies.

                  Bill
                • wardnet2001
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008

                    > Sure you can do that because the video is only injected into a normal
                    > panorama. You can simply limit the view to the area that is covered by
                    > the video. You can also create a fake video where you use a static
                    image
                    > or a shorter loop for the other 180° not covered by the camera.
                    >
                    > --
                    > MfG,
                    > Thomas

                    Hi Thomas

                    Using the demo of Pano2VR beta, and Photoshop/PanoTools Remap I've
                    managed to create a suitable (I think).flv movie file, following the
                    instuctions - it has six cube faces playing in a 921x614 (?) pixel window
                    which I can see in FLV Player. My question is how do I embed this .flv
                    in a
                    page to get the panorama effect, and limit the view (I've done the
                    Nikon FC-E9 as mentioned) sorry if this is in the help files,
                    I'm getting a bit tired...

                    Bill
                  • Milko K. Amorth
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                      Hi Bill,

                      > it has six cube faces playing in a 921x614 (?) pixel window

                      Its the new special 3x2 projection where 6 cubefaces are adjoined to one
                      image.
                      The width parameter is the total width of all 3 tiles so tile size is
                      only a third of the width.
                      The tiles size should be dividable by 16 to avoid macroblocks over the
                      border of disjoint cubefaces .
                      Your dimensions do not fit that criteria. A single tile is 307px/16=19.1875
                      Rounded down to 19x16=304px would be the nearest fit. That would result
                      into a 912x608 frame.

                      > .My question is how do I embed this .flv in a
                      > page to get the panorama effect, and limit the view

                      In Pano2VRbeta4 you have to create a small dummy flash pano with the
                      movie controllers.
                      The viewer parmeters can be set at the first level interface for general
                      data.

                      Thomas has created a fine video tutorial on the creation of a panoramic
                      video
                      http://gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php?movid=video .
                      The page for the source code is
                      http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video
                      <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video>
                      At the bottom of this page you wil find the link to the new p2q script
                      to included with the files.

                      Cheers, Milko

                    • wardnet2001
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                        > Thomas has created a fine video tutorial on the creation of a panoramic
                        > video
                        > http://gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php?movid=video .
                        > The page for the source code is
                        > http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video
                        > <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video>
                        > At the bottom of this page you wil find the link to the new p2q script
                        > to included with the files.
                        >
                        > Cheers, Milko

                        Hi Milko

                        Thanks, I've got it working - a 180' panorama video, quite a
                        reasonable effect.

                        1. I shot some test video with a Nikon FC-E9 hand held onto a Canon
                        MV450i camcorder to get a full circular fisheye video, opened this
                        video in CS3 and cropped it to the circle edges, then exported this as
                        an image sequence (note: there are some non-square pixel issues here I
                        dont yet know how to deal with correctly, I know this is a video issue
                        - the image has square pixel dimensions but the circle has a squashed
                        appearance left to right, which I just ignored).

                        2. Next, made an action to use PanoTools remap filter to remap each
                        frame to Psphere projection, then change the canvas size to
                        equirectangular.

                        3. Made a droplet in Pano2VR demo to remap the equirectangular frames
                        to the new, 6 cube array (the 3x2 special) and remapped the
                        equirectangular frames.

                        4. Openned the 3x2 special frames as an image sequence in QuickTime
                        Pro and exported a .flv movie.

                        5. Made the web page as indicated in the tutorial you pointed me to.

                        (For steps 1 and 2:
                        I found that I could not apply the action to the entire length of the
                        video without first exporting the video as an image sequence and then
                        re-openning it. If I applied the action to the video file it was only
                        the first video frame that was affected.)

                        Now I need to find a suitable subject to made a reasonable pano video
                        to post on the net.

                        Bill
                      • Steven Dowd
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                          Maybe this should be a new thread, but it is related

                          I am sure that I saw, and tested a simple version a few years ago of a
                          software for making 360' panable VR Movies, that worked very simply with
                          no more that a few mouse clicks to produce the VR Movie

                          It was based on using a fisheye on a vid camera, with the fisheye looking
                          vertically upwards, and recording a circular image into a normal video
                          frame, the video was then transformed by the software by using a doughnut
                          from the circular image, which it then reformatted into a very wide video
                          format, based on the circle inner and outer diameters. in the same way
                          that the oneshot mirror pano systems work, this extremely wide video
                          format was then viewed in QuickTime, and allowed total 360 panning
                          horizontally, and a little up down panning.

                          Cannot remember what software it was, anyone any ideas, or any idea how
                          this could be done.

                          Steven Dowd

                          >> If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
                          >> 360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
                          >> camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
                          >> easy to achieve.
                          >>
                          > The motion panoramas from Helmut Dersch have been done with an FC-E8 on
                          > a Canon DV:
                        • Milko K. Amorth
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                            Hi Steven,

                            Was it this setup? But this shoots dual fisheye horizontally?
                            http://sp.zdt.ru/equipment.php

                            Assuming a vertical single fisheye:
                            Why would you want to convert a vertical circular fisheye image to an
                            annular projection to get a cylindrical projection?
                            This can be done directly......

                            > Cannot remember what software it was, anyone any ideas, or any idea how
                            > this could be done.

                            This reminds me of my early "Lazy Man"one shot panoramas with a circular
                            fisheye. Also called a "Frog' Perspective".
                            http://www.360image.de/test/oneshot.htm

                            The thing about vertical fisheye shooting is the horizon. It will be
                            very high. Unless you go into a Frog's perspective.
                            This sample was done with the cam on the ground on its back. Imagine
                            walking around with a video cam pointed vertically.
                            It would be good to keep it above head, so the camera man is out of the
                            frame. A remote controlled RC 4x4 would do as well.
                            Preferably the lens should have more fov, like the Nikkor 6mm 220°! .
                            This sample was done with a sigma8 with 180° fov.

                            The remapping of the video frames can be done in Photoshop with an
                            action including crop, canvas, PTremap or PTadjust*. Settings Fisheye
                            vertical to psphere .
                            Alternatively you could drop a script and the cropped frames onto
                            ptstitcher or use the new MPremap0.2 from Helmut Dersch.
                            The later solution allows you to extract and build video with one tool
                            and remap with mpremap0.2. The presets do not include a script for 360
                            cylindrical or equirectangular yet, but the ones present can be copied
                            modified accordingly. The package includes a tutorial and samples.
                            http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html

                            In CS3 extended you can import your video, frame crop and do an indexed
                            sequence frame extraction. Apply an action to equirectangular projection
                            and rebuild a video for Lucid or Videowarp player. For Pano2VR Flash9
                            360video panorama you have to remap into the special 3x2 cube format.

                            * needs a script to remap from circular fisheye

                            Cheers, Milko
                          • Sebastien Perez-Duarte
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 29, 2008
                              On Dec 31, 2007 7:09 PM, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> wrote:
                              > because of popular demand I added the video support to the regular
                              > Pano2VR player. The video gets "injected" into a normal panorama and
                              > simple replaces the normal image. The advantage is that you can set all
                              > options like view limits, auto rotation, skin, hotspots(!) in the GUI
                              > and you can add the video in the HTML code. I also added new actions to
                              > the skin editor to control the video.

                              This is great! here is my attempt, with a raytraced visit around an
                              interesting torus:

                              http://theseblog.free.fr/video-torus.html

                              I'm not very happy with the quality - these are 256 pixel cubefaces
                              encoded at 1600 bps, and the file is already over 3MB... but it is fun
                              to spin and turn.

                              Thanks a lot for this Thomas.

                              Cheers,

                              Seb