Re: [PanoToolsNG] Pano2VR beta4 with video support

  • Milko K. Amorth
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
      Hello Thomas,

      Great. Thank you. I am just trying a sample and got stuck...sort of:
      I have got 284 eq frames 1500x750
      Name convention sample_JV 001...002...up to ..284.jpg

      I have created a droplet :
      <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
      <!-- Pano2VR project file -->
      <pano2vrconfig>
      <panorama>
      <input>
      <type>auto</type>
      <filename>sample_JV 001.jpg</filename>
      </input>
      <viewingparameter>
      <pan/>
      <tilt/>
      <fov/>
      </viewingparameter>
      <userdata/>
      <hotspots/>
      <output>
      <thumb>
      <filename>sample_out.jpg</filename>
      <type>videostrip</type>
      <quality>90</quality>
      <width>1488</width>
      <height>992</height>
      <defaultview>1</defaultview>
      <pan>0</pan>
      <tilt>0</tilt>
      <roll>0</roll>
      <fov>70</fov>
      </thumb>
      </output>
      <basepath>.</basepath>
      </panorama>
      </pano2vrconfig>

      The remap works on only one file....though i drop all of them on to the
      droplet. The alert I get is:
      "Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not
      have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

      Is there a specific name convention just like in pano2qtvr object table?
      Or do i have to feed each frame individually ?:-(

      Cheers, Milko
    • Thomas Rauscher
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
        Hello, on 31.12.2007 23:47 Uhr Milko K. Amorth said the following:
        > Hello Thomas,
        >
        > Great. Thank you. I am just trying a sample and got stuck...sort of:
        > I have got 284 eq frames 1500x750
        > Name convention sample_JV 001...002...up to ..284.jpg

        > The remap works on only one file....though i drop all of them on to the
        > droplet. The alert I get is:
        > "Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not
        > have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
        >
        > Is there a specific name convention just like in pano2qtvr object table?
        > Or do i have to feed each frame individually ?:-(

        The best way to create the droplet is without an input file. If you do
        that the output name is automatically $n_out.jpg where $n is a
        placeholder for the input file name. To use QuickTime as converter you
        need to have the numbers as the last part of the file name so you should
        change the name to something like out_$n.jpg or out\$n.jpg to save them
        in a subdirectory.

        Windows has also a very odd limitation for the number of dropped files
        on a desktop icon so usually only 2-5 files work. With beta4 you can now
        also drop a folder onto the droplet and all image files in it get
        processed. You can also use the "Batch Processing" in the "Tools" menu
        to process more than one file.

        Hope this helps.

        --
        MfG,
        Thomas
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 5, 2008
          > http://gg-sw.com/pano2vr_sample.php?demo=video

          Hi!
          What kind of equipment is used for producing 360 degrees videos like
          this? Any links and pointers ?

          Steve
        • wardnet2001
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > because of popular demand I added the video support to the regular
            > Pano2VR player. The video gets "injected" into a normal panorama and
            > simple replaces the normal image. The advantage is that you can set all
            > options like view limits, auto rotation, skin, hotspots(!) in the GUI
            > and you can add the video in the HTML code. And finally: *Happy new
            year!*

            > --
            > MfG,
            > Thomas

            Hi

            If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
            360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
            camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
            easy to achieve.

            I can also imagine fudging together a full 360 from one camera -
            obviously the result would be inaccurate regarding the timeline of one
            half of the sphere to the other, but it might be interesting for some
            subjects.

            Bill
          • Thomas Rauscher
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
              Hello, on 06.01.2008 0:54 Uhr nilsen.steve said the following:
              >> http://gg-sw.com/pano2vr_sample.php?demo=video
              >
              > Hi!
              > What kind of equipment is used for producing 360 degrees videos like
              > this? Any links and pointers ?

              This a demo movie from the LadyBug2 by Point Gray Research
              http://www.ptgrey.com/products/ladybug2/ .
              They where not able to provide me with a higher resolution video then
              1280x720 while they claim to support 5000x2500 with online stitching.
              The current price is about $10.000.

              You can do almost the same if you put 2 or 3 video cameras + Fisheye
              lenses together and batch stitch those images afterwards with PtGui or
              Hugin.

              iPix used to have a special lens that uses two fisheye lenses + 2
              mirrors to project the two image into one frame so they where able to
              record the video with only one camera. Maybe this thing is still
              available somewhere.

              If you only need a cylindrical panorama video you can also use a one
              shot mirror like from Kaidan http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=101 .

              --
              MfG,
              Thomas
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
                Hello, on 06.01.2008 13:23 Uhr wardnet2001 said the following:
                > Hi
                >
                > If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
                > 360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
                > camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
                > easy to achieve.
                >
                > I can also imagine fudging together a full 360 from one camera -
                > obviously the result would be inaccurate regarding the timeline of one
                > half of the sphere to the other, but it might be interesting for some
                > subjects.

                Sure you can do that because the video is only injected into a normal
                panorama. You can simply limit the view to the area that is covered by
                the video. You can also create a fake video where you use a static image
                or a shorter loop for the other 180° not covered by the camera.

                --
                MfG,
                Thomas
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
                  Hi Bill,

                  > If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
                  > 360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
                  > camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
                  > easy to achieve.

                  The motion panoramas from Helmut Dersch have been done with an FC-E8 on
                  a Canon DV:
                  http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html

                  Cheers, Milko
                • wardnet2001
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
                    > The motion panoramas from Helmut Dersch have been done with an FC-E8 on
                    > a Canon DV:
                    > http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html
                    >

                    > Cheers, Milko

                    Hi

                    These are more like super wide angle "static" framed videos, rather
                    than click and drag pannable movies.

                    Bill
                  • wardnet2001
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008

                      > Sure you can do that because the video is only injected into a normal
                      > panorama. You can simply limit the view to the area that is covered by
                      > the video. You can also create a fake video where you use a static
                      image
                      > or a shorter loop for the other 180° not covered by the camera.
                      >
                      > --
                      > MfG,
                      > Thomas

                      Hi Thomas

                      Using the demo of Pano2VR beta, and Photoshop/PanoTools Remap I've
                      managed to create a suitable (I think).flv movie file, following the
                      instuctions - it has six cube faces playing in a 921x614 (?) pixel window
                      which I can see in FLV Player. My question is how do I embed this .flv
                      in a
                      page to get the panorama effect, and limit the view (I've done the
                      Nikon FC-E9 as mentioned) sorry if this is in the help files,
                      I'm getting a bit tired...

                      Bill
                    • Milko K. Amorth
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                        Hi Bill,

                        > it has six cube faces playing in a 921x614 (?) pixel window

                        Its the new special 3x2 projection where 6 cubefaces are adjoined to one
                        image.
                        The width parameter is the total width of all 3 tiles so tile size is
                        only a third of the width.
                        The tiles size should be dividable by 16 to avoid macroblocks over the
                        border of disjoint cubefaces .
                        Your dimensions do not fit that criteria. A single tile is 307px/16=19.1875
                        Rounded down to 19x16=304px would be the nearest fit. That would result
                        into a 912x608 frame.

                        > .My question is how do I embed this .flv in a
                        > page to get the panorama effect, and limit the view

                        In Pano2VRbeta4 you have to create a small dummy flash pano with the
                        movie controllers.
                        The viewer parmeters can be set at the first level interface for general
                        data.

                        Thomas has created a fine video tutorial on the creation of a panoramic
                        video
                        http://gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php?movid=video .
                        The page for the source code is
                        http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video
                        <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video>
                        At the bottom of this page you wil find the link to the new p2q script
                        to included with the files.

                        Cheers, Milko

                      • wardnet2001
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                          > Thomas has created a fine video tutorial on the creation of a panoramic
                          > video
                          > http://gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php?movid=video .
                          > The page for the source code is
                          > http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video
                          > <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video>
                          > At the bottom of this page you wil find the link to the new p2q script
                          > to included with the files.
                          >
                          > Cheers, Milko

                          Hi Milko

                          Thanks, I've got it working - a 180' panorama video, quite a
                          reasonable effect.

                          1. I shot some test video with a Nikon FC-E9 hand held onto a Canon
                          MV450i camcorder to get a full circular fisheye video, opened this
                          video in CS3 and cropped it to the circle edges, then exported this as
                          an image sequence (note: there are some non-square pixel issues here I
                          dont yet know how to deal with correctly, I know this is a video issue
                          - the image has square pixel dimensions but the circle has a squashed
                          appearance left to right, which I just ignored).

                          2. Next, made an action to use PanoTools remap filter to remap each
                          frame to Psphere projection, then change the canvas size to
                          equirectangular.

                          3. Made a droplet in Pano2VR demo to remap the equirectangular frames
                          to the new, 6 cube array (the 3x2 special) and remapped the
                          equirectangular frames.

                          4. Openned the 3x2 special frames as an image sequence in QuickTime
                          Pro and exported a .flv movie.

                          5. Made the web page as indicated in the tutorial you pointed me to.

                          (For steps 1 and 2:
                          I found that I could not apply the action to the entire length of the
                          video without first exporting the video as an image sequence and then
                          re-openning it. If I applied the action to the video file it was only
                          the first video frame that was affected.)

                          Now I need to find a suitable subject to made a reasonable pano video
                          to post on the net.

                          Bill
                        • Steven Dowd
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                            Maybe this should be a new thread, but it is related

                            I am sure that I saw, and tested a simple version a few years ago of a
                            software for making 360' panable VR Movies, that worked very simply with
                            no more that a few mouse clicks to produce the VR Movie

                            It was based on using a fisheye on a vid camera, with the fisheye looking
                            vertically upwards, and recording a circular image into a normal video
                            frame, the video was then transformed by the software by using a doughnut
                            from the circular image, which it then reformatted into a very wide video
                            format, based on the circle inner and outer diameters. in the same way
                            that the oneshot mirror pano systems work, this extremely wide video
                            format was then viewed in QuickTime, and allowed total 360 panning
                            horizontally, and a little up down panning.

                            Cannot remember what software it was, anyone any ideas, or any idea how
                            this could be done.

                            Steven Dowd

                            >> If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
                            >> 360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
                            >> camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
                            >> easy to achieve.
                            >>
                            > The motion panoramas from Helmut Dersch have been done with an FC-E8 on
                            > a Canon DV:
                          • Milko K. Amorth
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                              Hi Steven,

                              Was it this setup? But this shoots dual fisheye horizontally?
                              http://sp.zdt.ru/equipment.php

                              Assuming a vertical single fisheye:
                              Why would you want to convert a vertical circular fisheye image to an
                              annular projection to get a cylindrical projection?
                              This can be done directly......

                              > Cannot remember what software it was, anyone any ideas, or any idea how
                              > this could be done.

                              This reminds me of my early "Lazy Man"one shot panoramas with a circular
                              fisheye. Also called a "Frog' Perspective".
                              http://www.360image.de/test/oneshot.htm

                              The thing about vertical fisheye shooting is the horizon. It will be
                              very high. Unless you go into a Frog's perspective.
                              This sample was done with the cam on the ground on its back. Imagine
                              walking around with a video cam pointed vertically.
                              It would be good to keep it above head, so the camera man is out of the
                              frame. A remote controlled RC 4x4 would do as well.
                              Preferably the lens should have more fov, like the Nikkor 6mm 220°! .
                              This sample was done with a sigma8 with 180° fov.

                              The remapping of the video frames can be done in Photoshop with an
                              action including crop, canvas, PTremap or PTadjust*. Settings Fisheye
                              vertical to psphere .
                              Alternatively you could drop a script and the cropped frames onto
                              ptstitcher or use the new MPremap0.2 from Helmut Dersch.
                              The later solution allows you to extract and build video with one tool
                              and remap with mpremap0.2. The presets do not include a script for 360
                              cylindrical or equirectangular yet, but the ones present can be copied
                              modified accordingly. The package includes a tutorial and samples.
                              http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html

                              In CS3 extended you can import your video, frame crop and do an indexed
                              sequence frame extraction. Apply an action to equirectangular projection
                              and rebuild a video for Lucid or Videowarp player. For Pano2VR Flash9
                              360video panorama you have to remap into the special 3x2 cube format.

                              * needs a script to remap from circular fisheye

                              Cheers, Milko
                            • Sebastien Perez-Duarte
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 29, 2008
                                On Dec 31, 2007 7:09 PM, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> wrote:
                                > because of popular demand I added the video support to the regular
                                > Pano2VR player. The video gets "injected" into a normal panorama and
                                > simple replaces the normal image. The advantage is that you can set all
                                > options like view limits, auto rotation, skin, hotspots(!) in the GUI
                                > and you can add the video in the HTML code. I also added new actions to
                                > the skin editor to control the video.

                                This is great! here is my attempt, with a raytraced visit around an
                                interesting torus:

                                http://theseblog.free.fr/video-torus.html

                                I'm not very happy with the quality - these are 256 pixel cubefaces
                                encoded at 1600 bps, and the file is already over 3MB... but it is fun
                                to spin and turn.

                                Thanks a lot for this Thomas.

                                Cheers,

                                Seb