New Year fireworks

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
      http://www.mediavr.com/ny08sydney.htm

      well here is my effort this year -- last night in Sydney -- a very nice
      night too actually! -- no wind, 20C

      I thought I would try a tripod this time not a pole -- so the shot is
      lower -- about 3m -- but at least all the views of the bridge I shot
      with the fireworks at different stages can be aligned if I want to
      fiddle with the bridge look in the pano. Shot with one of my motorized
      homemade head on an extension column on a Tre-D tripod
      http://www.tre-d-eng.it/photo_tripods/7900.html
      -- a very handy type of design for thick crowds as you can crush the
      legs together tight for moving in the crowd and quickly spread it in
      what space is available. Gitzos are good for this too.

      4 shots at 800ISO at 1/40th at f4 approx 10.5mm Nikkor on 5D
      Smartblend did all the crowd blending perfectly

      Peter
      http://www.mediavr.com/blog
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
        On 12/31/2007 11:14 AM, panovrx rambled on about ...:
        > http://www.mediavr.com/ny08sydney.htm
        >
        > well here is my effort this year -- last night in Sydney -- a very nice
        > night too actually! -- no wind, 20C
        >
        > I thought I would try a tripod this time not a pole -- so the shot is
        > lower -- about 3m -- but at least all the views of the bridge I shot
        > with the fireworks at different stages can be aligned if I want to
        > fiddle with the bridge look in the pano. Shot with one of my motorized
        > homemade head on an extension column on a Tre-D tripod
        > http://www.tre-d-eng.it/photo_tripods/7900.html
        > -- a very handy type of design for thick crowds as you can crush the
        > legs together tight for moving in the crowd and quickly spread it in
        > what space is available. Gitzos are good for this too.
        >

        > 4 shots at 800ISO at 1/40th at f4 approx 10.5mm Nikkor on 5D
        > Smartblend did all the crowd blending perfectly

        *Great* work, Pete. I really like the good exposure on both the crowd
        and the fireworks.

        > Peter
        > http://www.mediavr.com/blog

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

          > > http://www.mediavr.com/ny08sydney.htm

          the good exposure on both the crowd
          > and the fireworks.

          the light is balanced only at the very brightest times of the display --
          at the beginning and the end of the display -- and it only stays
          really bright each time for 10-15sec ... so I have to turn the camera
          for the four shots very quickly -- too quickly considering it is at the
          rickety top of an extension column on a solid but narrow base tripod.
          It doesnt have time to settle. There is some camera shake in each of
          these shots.

          The rest of the time the crowd is very dark -- especially since this
          year the large street light above me was out.

          Peter
        • Pat Swovelin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2008
            On 1/3/2008 3:35 AM, panovrx rambled on about ...:
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:
            >
            >>> http://www.mediavr.com/ny08sydney.htm
            >>>
            > the good exposure on both the crowd
            >> and the fireworks.
            >>
            > the light is balanced only at the very brightest times of the display --
            > at the beginning and the end of the display -- and it only stays
            > really bright each time for 10-15sec ... so I have to turn the camera
            > for the four shots very quickly -- too quickly considering it is at the
            > rickety top of an extension column on a solid but narrow base tripod.
            > It doesnt have time to settle. There is some camera shake in each of
            > these shots.
            >
            > The rest of the time the crowd is very dark -- especially since this
            > year the large street light above me was out.

            Was it out because its sensor read the light from the fireworks and told
            it it's daytime?

            > Peter

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large