Enfuse workflow thought

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2007
      So the biggest piece of feedback I'm getting from users - right after
      "wow! better than any HDR workflow for blending exposures!" - is how
      great it'd be to have an auto-registration option for the input images,
      meaning the ability to automatically align source images to avoid
      blurring of the output due to imperfect registration.

      I realize this is probably out of scope for the core enfuse tool but I'm
      sure it's also a good idea. If I were to try to piece together a cross
      platform, unattended auto-registration tool (such as can be found in
      Photoshop's "Auto Align Layers"), where to start?

      - Autosift to generate control points ->
      - PanoTools to optimize ->
      - PTstitcher to render out results to separate images ->
      - Enfuse to do its thing

      Anything more direct? Something obvious I'm missing? Is there an open
      source image align tool that I can use to skip the first three steps
      (doesn't have to be panotools related)?

      Right now the easiest thing to instruct people to do is to use the Load
      Images into Layers script in Photoshop, apply the Auto Align Layers
      function, and then run the Export Layers to Files script, then feed
      these results into enfuse.

      Cheers,

    • Bruno Postle
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2007
        On Mon 31-Dec-2007 at 10:11 -0800, Roger Howard wrote:

        >I realize this is probably out of scope for the core enfuse tool but I'm
        >sure it's also a good idea. If I were to try to piece together a cross
        >platform, unattended auto-registration tool (such as can be found in
        >Photoshop's "Auto Align Layers"), where to start?
        >
        >- Autosift to generate control points ->
        >- PanoTools to optimize ->
        >- PTstitcher to render out results to separate images ->
        >- Enfuse to do its thing
        >
        >Anything more direct? Something obvious I'm missing? Is there an open
        >source image align tool that I can use to skip the first three steps

        Yes, use align_image_stack in the hugin distribution. This does
        everything you want including writing out the aligned images, it
        even outputs a .pto script so you can open the originals as a hugin
        project.

        Actually align_image_stack needs a bit of work to allow it to be a
        general purpose tool for this sort of thing, for instance it assumes
        rectilinear input images, but could easily be given a fisheye
        option.

        Here are the command-line options:

        Usage: align_image_stack [options] input files
        Valid options are:
        Modes of operation:
        -p file Output .pto file (useful for debugging, or further refinement)
        -a prefix align images, output as prefix_xxxx.tif
        -o output merge images to HDR, generate output.hdr),
        Modifiers
        -v Verbose, print progress messages
        -t num Remove all control points with an error higher than num pixels (default: 3)
        -f HFOV approximate horizontal field of view of input images, use if EXIF info not complete
        -m Optimize field of view for all images, execpt for first.
        Useful for aligning focus stacks with slightly different magnification.
        -c num number of control points to create between adjectant images (default: 200)
        -h Display help (this text)

        --
        Bruno
      • Roger Howard
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2007
          > Yes, use align_image_stack in the hugin distribution. This does
          > everything you want including writing out the aligned images, it
          > even outputs a .pto script so you can open the originals as a hugin
          > project.
          >
          > Actually align_image_stack needs a bit of work to allow it to be a
          > general purpose tool for this sort of thing, for instance it assumes
          > rectilinear input images, but could easily be given a fisheye
          > option.

          Bruno,

          I don't see this anywhere in the latest SVN build of Hugin on OSX -
          sorry, I didn't specify my platform in my previous email. Any idea if
          this ships as a self-contained binary in Hugin on OSX? Is this dependent
          on Mono/.Net? Sounds like just what I need.
        • Bruno Postle
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2007
            On Mon 31-Dec-2007 at 11:05 -0800, Roger Howard wrote:

            > > Yes, use align_image_stack in the hugin distribution. This does
            > > everything you want including writing out the aligned images, it
            > > even outputs a .pto script so you can open the originals as a hugin
            > > project.

            > I don't see this anywhere in the latest SVN build of Hugin on OSX
            > - sorry, I didn't specify my platform in my previous email. Any
            > idea if this ships as a self-contained binary in Hugin on OSX? Is
            > this dependent on Mono/.Net? Sounds like just what I need.

            align_image_stack uses the internal hugin feature detection and
            control-point fine tuning, so it doesn't depend on any external
            tools like autopano-sift. There should be no more problem compiling
            it than nona or fulla (also found in ./src/tools).

            If it doesn't compile with the OS X build system then this is an
            oversight, as it builds ok with cmake.

            --
            Bruno
          • Boris Abramovich