Pano2VR beta4 with video support

  • Thomas Rauscher
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
      Hello,

      because of popular demand I added the video support to the regular
      Pano2VR player. The video gets "injected" into a normal panorama and
      simple replaces the normal image. The advantage is that you can set all
      options like view limits, auto rotation, skin, hotspots(!) in the GUI
      and you can add the video in the HTML code. I also added new actions to
      the skin editor to control the video.

      I updated the examples:

      http://gg-sw.com/pano2vr_sample.php?demo=video
      and
      http://gg-sw.com/pano2vr_sample.php?demo=timelapse
      (thx to Andras Frenyo for the new timelapse example!)

      The new instructions are at
      http://gg-sw.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video

      all other changes & bug fixes in beta4 are listed at:
      http://gg-sw.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=869

      And finally: *Happy new year!*

      --
      MfG,
      Thomas
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
        Hello Thomas,

        Great. Thank you. I am just trying a sample and got stuck...sort of:
        I have got 284 eq frames 1500x750
        Name convention sample_JV 001...002...up to ..284.jpg

        I have created a droplet :
        <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
        <!-- Pano2VR project file -->
        <pano2vrconfig>
        <panorama>
        <input>
        <type>auto</type>
        <filename>sample_JV 001.jpg</filename>
        </input>
        <viewingparameter>
        <pan/>
        <tilt/>
        <fov/>
        </viewingparameter>
        <userdata/>
        <hotspots/>
        <output>
        <thumb>
        <filename>sample_out.jpg</filename>
        <type>videostrip</type>
        <quality>90</quality>
        <width>1488</width>
        <height>992</height>
        <defaultview>1</defaultview>
        <pan>0</pan>
        <tilt>0</tilt>
        <roll>0</roll>
        <fov>70</fov>
        </thumb>
        </output>
        <basepath>.</basepath>
        </panorama>
        </pano2vrconfig>

        The remap works on only one file....though i drop all of them on to the
        droplet. The alert I get is:
        "Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not
        have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

        Is there a specific name convention just like in pano2qtvr object table?
        Or do i have to feed each frame individually ?:-(

        Cheers, Milko
      • Thomas Rauscher
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
          Hello, on 31.12.2007 23:47 Uhr Milko K. Amorth said the following:
          > Hello Thomas,
          >
          > Great. Thank you. I am just trying a sample and got stuck...sort of:
          > I have got 284 eq frames 1500x750
          > Name convention sample_JV 001...002...up to ..284.jpg

          > The remap works on only one file....though i drop all of them on to the
          > droplet. The alert I get is:
          > "Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not
          > have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
          >
          > Is there a specific name convention just like in pano2qtvr object table?
          > Or do i have to feed each frame individually ?:-(

          The best way to create the droplet is without an input file. If you do
          that the output name is automatically $n_out.jpg where $n is a
          placeholder for the input file name. To use QuickTime as converter you
          need to have the numbers as the last part of the file name so you should
          change the name to something like out_$n.jpg or out\$n.jpg to save them
          in a subdirectory.

          Windows has also a very odd limitation for the number of dropped files
          on a desktop icon so usually only 2-5 files work. With beta4 you can now
          also drop a folder onto the droplet and all image files in it get
          processed. You can also use the "Batch Processing" in the "Tools" menu
          to process more than one file.

          Hope this helps.

          --
          MfG,
          Thomas
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 5, 2008
            > http://gg-sw.com/pano2vr_sample.php?demo=video

            Hi!
            What kind of equipment is used for producing 360 degrees videos like
            this? Any links and pointers ?

            Steve
          • wardnet2001
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > because of popular demand I added the video support to the regular
              > Pano2VR player. The video gets "injected" into a normal panorama and
              > simple replaces the normal image. The advantage is that you can set all
              > options like view limits, auto rotation, skin, hotspots(!) in the GUI
              > and you can add the video in the HTML code. And finally: *Happy new
              year!*

              > --
              > MfG,
              > Thomas

              Hi

              If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
              360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
              camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
              easy to achieve.

              I can also imagine fudging together a full 360 from one camera -
              obviously the result would be inaccurate regarding the timeline of one
              half of the sphere to the other, but it might be interesting for some
              subjects.

              Bill
            • Thomas Rauscher
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
                Hello, on 06.01.2008 0:54 Uhr nilsen.steve said the following:
                >> http://gg-sw.com/pano2vr_sample.php?demo=video
                >
                > Hi!
                > What kind of equipment is used for producing 360 degrees videos like
                > this? Any links and pointers ?

                This a demo movie from the LadyBug2 by Point Gray Research
                http://www.ptgrey.com/products/ladybug2/ .
                They where not able to provide me with a higher resolution video then
                1280x720 while they claim to support 5000x2500 with online stitching.
                The current price is about $10.000.

                You can do almost the same if you put 2 or 3 video cameras + Fisheye
                lenses together and batch stitch those images afterwards with PtGui or
                Hugin.

                iPix used to have a special lens that uses two fisheye lenses + 2
                mirrors to project the two image into one frame so they where able to
                record the video with only one camera. Maybe this thing is still
                available somewhere.

                If you only need a cylindrical panorama video you can also use a one
                shot mirror like from Kaidan http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=101 .

                --
                MfG,
                Thomas
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
                  Hello, on 06.01.2008 13:23 Uhr wardnet2001 said the following:
                  > Hi
                  >
                  > If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
                  > 360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
                  > camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
                  > easy to achieve.
                  >
                  > I can also imagine fudging together a full 360 from one camera -
                  > obviously the result would be inaccurate regarding the timeline of one
                  > half of the sphere to the other, but it might be interesting for some
                  > subjects.

                  Sure you can do that because the video is only injected into a normal
                  panorama. You can simply limit the view to the area that is covered by
                  the video. You can also create a fake video where you use a static image
                  or a shorter loop for the other 180° not covered by the camera.

                  --
                  MfG,
                  Thomas
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
                    Hi Bill,

                    > If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
                    > 360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
                    > camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
                    > easy to achieve.

                    The motion panoramas from Helmut Dersch have been done with an FC-E8 on
                    a Canon DV:
                    http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html

                    Cheers, Milko
                  • wardnet2001
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008
                      > The motion panoramas from Helmut Dersch have been done with an FC-E8 on
                      > a Canon DV:
                      > http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html
                      >

                      > Cheers, Milko

                      Hi

                      These are more like super wide angle "static" framed videos, rather
                      than click and drag pannable movies.

                      Bill
                    • wardnet2001
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 6, 2008

                        > Sure you can do that because the video is only injected into a normal
                        > panorama. You can simply limit the view to the area that is covered by
                        > the video. You can also create a fake video where you use a static
                        image
                        > or a shorter loop for the other 180° not covered by the camera.
                        >
                        > --
                        > MfG,
                        > Thomas

                        Hi Thomas

                        Using the demo of Pano2VR beta, and Photoshop/PanoTools Remap I've
                        managed to create a suitable (I think).flv movie file, following the
                        instuctions - it has six cube faces playing in a 921x614 (?) pixel window
                        which I can see in FLV Player. My question is how do I embed this .flv
                        in a
                        page to get the panorama effect, and limit the view (I've done the
                        Nikon FC-E9 as mentioned) sorry if this is in the help files,
                        I'm getting a bit tired...

                        Bill
                      • Milko K. Amorth
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                          Hi Bill,

                          > it has six cube faces playing in a 921x614 (?) pixel window

                          Its the new special 3x2 projection where 6 cubefaces are adjoined to one
                          image.
                          The width parameter is the total width of all 3 tiles so tile size is
                          only a third of the width.
                          The tiles size should be dividable by 16 to avoid macroblocks over the
                          border of disjoint cubefaces .
                          Your dimensions do not fit that criteria. A single tile is 307px/16=19.1875
                          Rounded down to 19x16=304px would be the nearest fit. That would result
                          into a 912x608 frame.

                          > .My question is how do I embed this .flv in a
                          > page to get the panorama effect, and limit the view

                          In Pano2VRbeta4 you have to create a small dummy flash pano with the
                          movie controllers.
                          The viewer parmeters can be set at the first level interface for general
                          data.

                          Thomas has created a fine video tutorial on the creation of a panoramic
                          video
                          http://gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php?movid=video .
                          The page for the source code is
                          http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video
                          <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video>
                          At the bottom of this page you wil find the link to the new p2q script
                          to included with the files.

                          Cheers, Milko

                        • wardnet2001
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                            > Thomas has created a fine video tutorial on the creation of a panoramic
                            > video
                            > http://gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php?movid=video .
                            > The page for the source code is
                            > http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video
                            > <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Pano2VR_-_Video>
                            > At the bottom of this page you wil find the link to the new p2q script
                            > to included with the files.
                            >
                            > Cheers, Milko

                            Hi Milko

                            Thanks, I've got it working - a 180' panorama video, quite a
                            reasonable effect.

                            1. I shot some test video with a Nikon FC-E9 hand held onto a Canon
                            MV450i camcorder to get a full circular fisheye video, opened this
                            video in CS3 and cropped it to the circle edges, then exported this as
                            an image sequence (note: there are some non-square pixel issues here I
                            dont yet know how to deal with correctly, I know this is a video issue
                            - the image has square pixel dimensions but the circle has a squashed
                            appearance left to right, which I just ignored).

                            2. Next, made an action to use PanoTools remap filter to remap each
                            frame to Psphere projection, then change the canvas size to
                            equirectangular.

                            3. Made a droplet in Pano2VR demo to remap the equirectangular frames
                            to the new, 6 cube array (the 3x2 special) and remapped the
                            equirectangular frames.

                            4. Openned the 3x2 special frames as an image sequence in QuickTime
                            Pro and exported a .flv movie.

                            5. Made the web page as indicated in the tutorial you pointed me to.

                            (For steps 1 and 2:
                            I found that I could not apply the action to the entire length of the
                            video without first exporting the video as an image sequence and then
                            re-openning it. If I applied the action to the video file it was only
                            the first video frame that was affected.)

                            Now I need to find a suitable subject to made a reasonable pano video
                            to post on the net.

                            Bill
                          • Steven Dowd
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                              Maybe this should be a new thread, but it is related

                              I am sure that I saw, and tested a simple version a few years ago of a
                              software for making 360' panable VR Movies, that worked very simply with
                              no more that a few mouse clicks to produce the VR Movie

                              It was based on using a fisheye on a vid camera, with the fisheye looking
                              vertically upwards, and recording a circular image into a normal video
                              frame, the video was then transformed by the software by using a doughnut
                              from the circular image, which it then reformatted into a very wide video
                              format, based on the circle inner and outer diameters. in the same way
                              that the oneshot mirror pano systems work, this extremely wide video
                              format was then viewed in QuickTime, and allowed total 360 panning
                              horizontally, and a little up down panning.

                              Cannot remember what software it was, anyone any ideas, or any idea how
                              this could be done.

                              Steven Dowd

                              >> If using Pano2VR, I was wondering if I could get a usable 180' (not
                              >> 360') video result by attaching a Nikon FC-E8 or FC-E9 to my
                              >> camcorder? i.e. only looking left and right, up and down. It should be
                              >> easy to achieve.
                              >>
                              > The motion panoramas from Helmut Dersch have been done with an FC-E8 on
                              > a Canon DV:
                            • Milko K. Amorth
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                                Hi Steven,

                                Was it this setup? But this shoots dual fisheye horizontally?
                                http://sp.zdt.ru/equipment.php

                                Assuming a vertical single fisheye:
                                Why would you want to convert a vertical circular fisheye image to an
                                annular projection to get a cylindrical projection?
                                This can be done directly......

                                > Cannot remember what software it was, anyone any ideas, or any idea how
                                > this could be done.

                                This reminds me of my early "Lazy Man"one shot panoramas with a circular
                                fisheye. Also called a "Frog' Perspective".
                                http://www.360image.de/test/oneshot.htm

                                The thing about vertical fisheye shooting is the horizon. It will be
                                very high. Unless you go into a Frog's perspective.
                                This sample was done with the cam on the ground on its back. Imagine
                                walking around with a video cam pointed vertically.
                                It would be good to keep it above head, so the camera man is out of the
                                frame. A remote controlled RC 4x4 would do as well.
                                Preferably the lens should have more fov, like the Nikkor 6mm 220°! .
                                This sample was done with a sigma8 with 180° fov.

                                The remapping of the video frames can be done in Photoshop with an
                                action including crop, canvas, PTremap or PTadjust*. Settings Fisheye
                                vertical to psphere .
                                Alternatively you could drop a script and the cropped frames onto
                                ptstitcher or use the new MPremap0.2 from Helmut Dersch.
                                The later solution allows you to extract and build video with one tool
                                and remap with mpremap0.2. The presets do not include a script for 360
                                cylindrical or equirectangular yet, but the ones present can be copied
                                modified accordingly. The package includes a tutorial and samples.
                                http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html

                                In CS3 extended you can import your video, frame crop and do an indexed
                                sequence frame extraction. Apply an action to equirectangular projection
                                and rebuild a video for Lucid or Videowarp player. For Pano2VR Flash9
                                360video panorama you have to remap into the special 3x2 cube format.

                                * needs a script to remap from circular fisheye

                                Cheers, Milko
                              • Sebastien Perez-Duarte
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 29, 2008
                                  On Dec 31, 2007 7:09 PM, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> wrote:
                                  > because of popular demand I added the video support to the regular
                                  > Pano2VR player. The video gets "injected" into a normal panorama and
                                  > simple replaces the normal image. The advantage is that you can set all
                                  > options like view limits, auto rotation, skin, hotspots(!) in the GUI
                                  > and you can add the video in the HTML code. I also added new actions to
                                  > the skin editor to control the video.

                                  This is great! here is my attempt, with a raytraced visit around an
                                  interesting torus:

                                  http://theseblog.free.fr/video-torus.html

                                  I'm not very happy with the quality - these are 256 pixel cubefaces
                                  encoded at 1600 bps, and the file is already over 3MB... but it is fun
                                  to spin and turn.

                                  Thanks a lot for this Thomas.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Seb