Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Enfuse/Enblend 3.1 universal plus simple batch tool

  • Fulvio Senore
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 31, 2007
      Keith Martin ha scritto:
      > Sometime around 31/12/07 (at 12:47 +0100) Fulvio Senore said:
      >

      >> It looks like most Mac users are used to sit and wait until someone else
      >> does the work. If everybody sits waiting nothing will be done.
      >>

      > :-)
      >
      > As a Mac user and an occasional software tool-maker myself I can see
      > both sides of this issue. And I'm afraid I don't think it is at all
      > helpful to label groups of people like this. For one thing, it is far
      > too general. And for another, it risks becoming flamebait, which I'm
      > sure we don't really want here.

      Yes, labeling whole groups of people is never a good idea, but the
      problem (if it is a problem) with Mac users is that they are Mac users
      (sorry for the joke).
      It was not meant as an insult, it is simply a matter of facts.

      Just think why most people buy a Mac instead of another computer.

      Most computer users use Windows. They are so many that it is relatively
      easy to find developers that volunteer to build a package.
      Linux users are much much less than Windows users, but Linux is chosen
      by a lot of people who has technical knowledge, so it is easy to find
      developers too.
      Macs are well known for being easy to use and working well, so they are
      likely to be chosen by people who are not interested in programming:
      they just want a tool to do their work, and they want a good and simple
      tool. Macs are expensive, so students cannot afford them, and students
      are a large part of open source developers. Mac users also are much much
      less than Windows users, so it is difficult to find somebody that will
      work at an open source project.

      I am not saying that Macs are bad, I am saying that they are so good
      that their typical user lacks technical knowledge but still can use them
      without problems.
      I am starting to develop for OSX and I am really surprised of how good
      is that platform. There are a lot of things to learn, but they are worth
      learning. It is really a pity that the user base is so small compared to
      Windows.

      Maybe Vista will help a lot of people to try OSX, like I have done, and
      maybe in the future the typical user base of OSX will change and become
      larger. It surely deserves more popularity.

      Fulvio Senore
    • Yuval Levy
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 1, 2008
        Luca Vascon wrote:
        > I'd add Luca Vascon, also does not want to learn!!

        which is perfectly acceptable since you patiently wait for binaries
        without complaining.

        and for the icons you teach, you don't need to learn :-)
        Yuv