Re: Nikkor 10.5mm vs Sigma 8mm for full frame camera

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 11 4:05 PM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, michel thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

      > With the Sigma you would need a fourth shot in order to really
      > overlap the polar regions. That's why three shots were called by me a
      > "minimum" when you accept having a small black hole at the Nadir for
      > instance.
      > The huge Angle of View of the Nikkor 10.5 mm on FF is a godsend that
      > lets you make a panography with three handheld shots in a crowd!

      Actually it does not matter. I often have to crop away the extra areas of the 10.5 mm
      because the overlapping images at the top confuses the blender.

      And the overlapping at the sides with 3 shots on a fullframe is actually very small. Smaller
      than 4 shots with Sigma 8mm on a small sensor.
      10.5mm 3x140=420 - Sigma 8mm is 4 x 112 - 116 (1.5 or 1.6 sensor) = 444 - 464

      You get better blending if you can cover the top at the exact point.
      For example with a 1 degree tilt of the Sigma 8mm and choosing a FOV of 180.
      Just remember that this means you have to make sure that PTGui does not change that by
      optimizing the FOV to 178 degrees. Than you get the black pinhole.