Smartblend included in Mac version of AutoPano Pro

  • lovefilm
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2007
      I am a dedicated PTGui user - but I am always exploring new
      technologies, different programs, other approaches.

      I recently had an opportunity to play around with AutoPano Pro.

      I have always had a problem auto stitching panos taken from my Canon
      10-17mm (at 10mm) in PTGui. If apply templates do not work - I
      almost always have to manually set control points for this lens.

      AutoPano Pro gave me a near perfect stitch.

      I was not as happy with the blending for that particular pano. But
      AutoPano Pro allows you to export / import project files from PTGui
      and Hugin. So after generating control points in AutoPano Pro - I
      brought the resulting project file into PTGui and did the stitching
      and rendering there.

      Another thing I was very pleasantly surprised by is that Smartbelnd
      (or a version of it) is integrated directly into the app - and not
      used as a plug-in. Moreover, The Mac version of AutoPano Pro also
      supports this built in version of smartbelnd!

      For the test I ran - which had several moving cars - both the PC
      version of Smartblend used as a plug-in with PTGui and the version of
      Smartblend integrated into the Mac version of AutoPano Pro gave me
      identical results (I can post samples if any one is interested).

      Apparently, however, HDR output is not yet supported in the AutoPano
      Pro Smartblend implementation.

      Additionally, the latest beta version of AutoPano Pro supports
      stitching of fish-eye images. It did a great job with a pano taken
      from my Sigma 8mm - though it took a very long time for the program to
      generate the control points.

      There seems to be some advanced color correction capabilities in
      AutoPano Pro - though I have not yet explored those.

      Anyway, I was wondering if others have used AutoPano Pro and what
      they think of it.

      P.S. Here is a link to the AutoPano Pro forum where Smartblend is
      discussed:

      http://forum.autopano.net/p15348-2007-09-22-13-33-29