Re: Download Link: latest enblend for OSX

  • yuval_levy
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007

      <http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip>

      > Ha Ha, I know it is Christmas soon but I prefer my own Christmas lights.

      no comments.

      > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/merry-enblend.html

      As stated in the intro, the software is for testing purpose only.
      Let's try to extract some useful information from this feedback.

      I guess that the colored spots are not present in the input images.
      Can we see the input images somewhere, ideally already warped, exactly
      as fed into enblend?

      In general, although the QTVR displayed fine on my Linux notebook with
      freepv, we prefer feedback to be limited to that part of the workflow
      concerning enblend. The perfect feedback is a flat blended image as
      produced by enblend and a set of input images so that we can try to
      reproduce the unexpected behavior.

      also it would be helpful if you could indicate what system you run
      this on.

      The post-processing into QTVR (and the humor) are not really relevant
      to this thread.

      Thank you
      Yuv
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "yuval_levy" <yahoo06@...> wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "yuval_levy" <yahoo06@> wrote:
        > > >
        > <http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip>
        > >
        > > Ha Ha, I know it is Christmas soon but I prefer my own Christmas lights.
        >
        > no comments.
        >
        > > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/merry-enblend.html
        >
        > As stated in the intro, the software is for testing purpose only.
        > Let's try to extract some useful information from this feedback.
        >
        > I guess that the colored spots are not present in the input images.
        > Can we see the input images somewhere, ideally already warped, exactly
        > as fed into enblend?
        >
        > In general, although the QTVR displayed fine on my Linux notebook with
        > freepv, we prefer feedback to be limited to that part of the workflow
        > concerning enblend. The perfect feedback is a flat blended image as
        > produced by enblend and a set of input images so that we can try to
        > reproduce the unexpected behavior.
        >
        > also it would be helpful if you could indicate what system you run
        > this on.
        >
        > The post-processing into QTVR (and the humor) are not really relevant
        > to this thread.

        Yuv,
        You need to have some fun. It's Christmas soon.

        When you get something like this you can only think that this is a joke or the download is
        corrupt.

        I checked the download 3 times. Files look fine even if the change of the name to Enfuce
        sounds like a joke.

        The first are from a MacBook Pro OS 10.4.11

        Here is a test on my G5. Looks a little different but still more like something made for fun.
        http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/enfuce-test.html

        Have some fun
        Hans
      • Bruno Postle
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
          On Sun 02-Dec-2007 at 17:40 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:

          > I checked the download 3 times. Files look fine even if the change
          > of the name to Enfuce sounds like a joke.

          This is your problem, enblend-3.1 has a new extra tool called
          'enfuse' which does HDR merging using multi-resolution splines.

          I guess this is the result you get when you stuff it with a 'normal'
          panorama.

          --
          Bruno
        • yuval_levy
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
            Hans,

            > You need to have some fun. It's Christmas soon.

            fun is good in a place where misinterpretation and misunderstanding
            can be cleared up quickly. It is not by mistake that
            <http://wiki.panotools.org/User_Guidelines#Joint_common_ground> states
            not to rely on fun. Last time I tried to be funny online, in response
            to what I perceived as being fun, things went almost completely wrong
            and a flurry of off-list messages followed. Hence I prefer not to
            comment on "fun on line" and consider it OT.

            > When you get something like this you can only think that this is a
            > joke or the download is corrupt.

            Sure the result is, to say the least, unexpected. Believe it or not,
            this happens very often in software development. I am currently
            helping debug a tonemapping operator and the results look worse than a
            bad LSD trip. I wish I could sell them for 10.000$, they still would
            not pay the time/effort that developers and testers have put in it.

            All I tried to do with this thread was to produce useable feedback for
            the developers. I am not particularly pleased to see it hijacked for
            fun. The developers are working seriously on this and they take
            *every* feedback seriously.

            Imagine how you would feel if they would not take seriously your
            feedback when you say that something is not working.

            > I checked the download 3 times. Files look fine even if the change
            of the name to Enfuce sounds like a joke.

            Enfuse is not a change of name. It is a new functionality. Automatic
            Exposure Blending. So far it seems to work well on Linux, but of
            course this is new, experimental software and requires extensive
            testing before being sanctioned as "release grade".

            The bug that you reported has been found and corrected. Ippei has
            updated
            <http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip>
            and we would appreciate further test results, ideally directly on
            <http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx/> where Ippei has given more
            detail of what kind of feedback he needs.

            Note that he is doing this on his "free", unpaid time. Next week is
            exams week for him. What he does is a service for the community, if it
            was for him this could wait for long after the exams, and even beyond
            since IIRC he does not even shoot HDR nor full sphericals (he received
            is first pano head sponsored by Agnos for his good job on the Google
            Summer of Code). So when he develops these functionalities he does so
            for us who use them and we should be thankful and try to give
            something back.

            Of course it would be nice if you could sell your artwork for 10.000$
            and donate a portion of your revenues to the developers of the
            software, but it is not necessary. You can provide very valuable
            feedback with your testing. And we can also have fun together, too,
            when being careful that we indicate that it's fun, and by doing so
            without damaging serious threads.

            > The first are from a MacBook Pro OS 10.4.11
            >
            > Here is a test on my G5. Looks a little different but still more
            > like something made for fun.
            > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/enfuce-test.html

            Thank you. Try downloading again and use enblend, not enfuse. Enfuse
            is for multiple exposures. I suspect that enfuse is a bit confused by
            all of those overexposed (white) areas :-)

            > Have some fun

            <fun>
            this is another one of those features that work well in Windows and in
            Linux but not on the Mac. Maybe we should recommend people to install
            Vista?
            </fun .... NOT!>

            <serious>
            Apple's Canadian website. Online Store. Configuring a Mac Pro.
            - Upgrade the default 250GB Hard Drive in Bay 1 to 500GB: *155$*
            - Add a 500GB Hard Drive in Bay 2: *395$*

            Same time, same place, the online store of NCiX, a leading Canadian
            online retailer. Prices for a 500GB HDD vary between 125$ and 144$,
            and they feature all leading HDD manufacturers, including Apple's
            suppliers. The most expensive 1000GB HDD is 373$.

            Repeat for CPU, RAM, video card - similar results / price differential.

            This is Apple, not OLPC <http://www.laptopgiving.org/>

            </serious .... or fun?>

            Yuv
          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

              > On Sun 02-Dec-2007 at 17:40 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:
              >
              > > I checked the download 3 times. Files look fine even if the change
              > > of the name to Enfuce sounds like a joke.
              >
              > This is your problem, enblend-3.1 has a new extra tool called
              > 'enfuse' which does HDR merging using multi-resolution splines.
              >
              > I guess this is the result you get when you stuff it with a 'normal'
              > panorama.

              It would have been nice with a readme file or some other information.

              I have been looking everywhere at the HOME of Enblend where discussions about it should
              take place.

              There are no posts the last 2 months.
              After I got the information about what Enfuse is I did a Google search and found 1, yes
              One single link.

              To a Google group for Hugin.

              How do you believe you should be able to get feedback from Professional people who are
              the users of Enblend when you take the development to a place where professional VR
              photographers absolutely not will search for it.

              I have never heard of one single professional VR Photographer who uses Hugin but almost
              all use enblend together with one of the 3 main Pro stitchers.

              You have to follow the rules for development of Open source and Enblend has a HOME
              where you are supposed to publish the developments.

              Hans
            • Bruno Postle
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                On Sun 02-Dec-2007 at 23:03 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                >After I got the information about what Enfuse is I did a Google search and found 1, yes
                >One single link.

                Enfuse has existed for less than three weeks.

                >I have never heard of one single professional VR Photographer who uses Hugin but almost
                >all use enblend together with one of the 3 main Pro stitchers.

                Enblend was written specifically for hugin, luckily for you the
                developer made the tool separate rather than embedding it.

                >You have to follow the rules for development of Open source and Enblend has a HOME
                >where you are supposed to publish the developments.

                I think that your expectations are that software should come in a
                shrink-wrapped box or have an 'installer' that you download from the
                developer's web-site - but in an Open Source context these are
                incredibly inefficient methods to distribute software.

                This is why you can't find what you are looking for, because you are
                looking in the wrong place. You downloaded some software that
                didn't work as you expected from the ptmac site, why are you
                complaining here?

                --
                Bruno
              • Arnd Baecker
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                  On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On Sun 02-Dec-2007 at 17:40 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I checked the download 3 times. Files look fine even if the change
                  > > > of the name to Enfuce sounds like a joke.
                  > >
                  > > This is your problem, enblend-3.1 has a new extra tool called
                  > > 'enfuse' which does HDR merging using multi-resolution splines.
                  > >
                  > > I guess this is the result you get when you stuff it with a 'normal'
                  > > panorama.
                  > >
                  > It would have been nice with a readme file or some other information.
                  >
                  > I have been looking everywhere at the HOME of Enblend where discussions about it should
                  > take place.
                  >
                  > There are no posts the last 2 months.
                  > After I got the information about what Enfuse is I did a Google search and found 1, yes
                  > One single link.
                  >
                  > To a Google group for Hugin.
                  >
                  > How do you believe you should be able to get feedback from Professional people who are
                  > the users of Enblend when you take the development to a place where professional VR
                  > photographers absolutely not will search for it.
                  >
                  > I have never heard of one single professional VR Photographer who uses Hugin but almost
                  > all use enblend together with one of the 3 main Pro stitchers.
                  >
                  > You have to follow the rules for development of Open source and Enblend has a HOME
                  > where you are supposed to publish the developments.

                  A huge number of open source projects is hosted on sourceforge,
                  so this is a common place for the development of open source projects
                  Looking at the webpage on sourceforge
                  http://enblend.sourceforge.net/
                  this is quite good.

                  In particular it has a link to the discussion forum,
                  where you could ask questions.

                  For Bug Reports / Support Requests:
                  For feature suggestions:
                  (Though the last two seem to have recieve less activity?)

                  It has a pointer to the sourceforge project site,
                  where the source code tree can browsed
                  http://enblend.cvs.sourceforge.net/enblend/enblend/
                  (with information about when a file was changed).

                  In particular for enfuse see
                  http://enblend.cvs.sourceforge.net/enblend/enblend/src/enfuse.cc?view=log

                  Obviously, as also pointed out by Bruno, this is rather new,
                  and most likely should be considered as experimental.

                  Overall I think that all the relevant channels are there,
                  they just have to be used.

                  Development of open source is a community effort,
                  where contributions of all kind are welcome.
                  This goes a long way from
                  - questions
                  - feature request
                  - testing
                  - bug reports
                  - contributions of text snippets to the web-page
                  (these could be added by the developers, so no need for html expertise;
                  the contents/writing is the harder bit),
                  or documentation, or wiki , ...
                  - code contributions (patches, ....)
                  - donations are also welcome in many cases

                  Best, Arnd
                • Hans Nyberg
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker@...> wrote:
                    photographers absolutely not will search for it.

                    > > I have never heard of one single professional VR Photographer who uses Hugin but
                    almost
                    > > all use enblend together with one of the 3 main Pro stitchers.
                    > >
                    > > You have to follow the rules for development of Open source and Enblend has a
                    HOME
                    > > where you are supposed to publish the developments.
                    >
                    > A huge number of open source projects is hosted on sourceforge,
                    > so this is a common place for the development of open source projects
                    > Looking at the webpage on sourceforge
                    > http://enblend.sourceforge.net/
                    > this is quite good.
                    >
                    > In particular it has a link to the discussion forum,
                    > http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=420370
                    > where you could ask questions.
                    >
                    > For Bug Reports / Support Requests:
                    > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=123407&atid=696410
                    > For feature suggestions:
                    > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=123407&atid=696412
                    > (Though the last two seem to have recieve less activity?)
                    >
                    > It has a pointer to the sourceforge project site,
                    > where the source code tree can browsed
                    > http://enblend.cvs.sourceforge.net/enblend/enblend/
                    > (with information about when a file was changed).
                    >
                    > In particular for enfuse see
                    > http://enblend.cvs.sourceforge.net/enblend/enblend/src/enfuse.cc?view=log
                    >
                    > Obviously, as also pointed out by Bruno, this is rather new,
                    > and most likely should be considered as experimental.
                    >
                    > Overall I think that all the relevant channels are there,
                    > they just have to be used.

                    When I am talking about the HOME this is of course http://enblend.sourceforge.net/

                    But as I also say the activity of the forum is minimal.
                    During the last 1 1/2 year there is only 25 threads and the last post was sept 26.

                    Its not very easy to find it on the main page either.

                    All major stitchers are linking to http://enblend.sourceforge.net/ but to make it more
                    useful for the people who seek information it ought to be redesigned.

                    Hans
                  • dmgalpha
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007

                      [...]
                      > Its not very easy to find it on the main page either.
                      >
                      > All major stitchers are linking to http://enblend.sourceforge.net/
                      but to make it more
                      > useful for the people who seek information it ought to be redesigned.
                      >
                      > Hans

                      Version 3.1 is not being officially released (yet). As such, it is
                      considered experimental.

                      if you really want it, and you are willing to do some work, then
                      install fink (fink.sourceforge.net). After you have done it, open a
                      terminal (inside Applications/Utilities) and follow the instructions here:

                      http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_OSX

                      It is not that difficult.

                      Another alternative is that you offer a bounty for a compiled version
                      of enblend. It might work.

                      --dmg
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                        On Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 17:40, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                        > Here is a test on my G5. Looks a little different but still more like something made for fun.
                        > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/enfuce-test.html

                        So everything clears off: Ippei accidentially packaged the wrong
                        binaries. Here is his mail:

                        --snip
                        Sorry, it was wrong programs I put in the archive... I've uploaded
                        the new file, and is available from the same address.

                        Oh, and please include your command and arguments in your report.

                        Thanks
                        Ippei

                        PS. I'm only reading this ML from the web. I'd appreciate it if you
                        could CC me (ippei_ukaiATmacDOTcom) your report when you send.
                        --snap

                        Hans, if enblend is so important to you you should try to get along
                        with those open source programmers instead of laughing about them
                        (how your humor could be mistaken).

                        It was you who asked about a memory bug in enblend 3 - not even in an
                        offical distribution. It was especially for you that Ippei - albeit
                        in his exams - compiled the latest snapshot as a favour. And this
                        while sometimes it is very hard not to mistake your words a open
                        source bashing...

                        best regards
                      • Hans Nyberg
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007

                          > Hans, if enblend is so important to you you should try to get along
                          > with those open source programmers instead of laughing about them
                          > (how your humor could be mistaken).
                          >
                          > It was you who asked about a memory bug in enblend 3 - not even in an
                          > offical distribution. It was especially for you that Ippei - albeit
                          > in his exams - compiled the latest snapshot as a favour. And this
                          > while sometimes it is very hard not to mistake your words a open
                          > source bashing...

                          Erik,
                          Enblend is important to many professional VR Photographers.

                          And as far as know Enblend 3 has been an official version (if you can talk about official for
                          OS) since january 2007.

                          The Mac Universal compiled version is dated feb 05 2007.
                          I have no idea how long it has been part of the download items at Kekus.com but this
                          thread at RealViz is from April.
                          http://forum.realviz.com/realviz/Discussion-ST/install-enblend-osx-sujet_3557_1.htm

                          As you can see they also talk about memory problems but it seems not to be Ram.

                          How should I know what is official or not when you do not sign the versions which are
                          available for download. There is nothing as readme files which makes it possible to track
                          them. They are not even named in the info with version number so the only way to know if
                          it is a 2.5 , 1.3 or a 3.0 is from the date.

                          At http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=420370 there is not one single
                          post about Mac Enblend. As far as I remember you are a Mac user yourself so you should
                          know.

                          BTW it seems to be common among Open Source people as the same problem is found
                          in PTviewer.

                          Hans
                        • Hans Nyberg
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007

                            > As you can see they also talk about memory problems but it seems not to be Ram.
                            >
                            > How should I know what is official or not when you do not sign the versions which are
                            > available for download. There is nothing as readme files which makes it possible to
                            track
                            > them. They are not even named in the info with version number so the only way to know
                            if
                            > it is a 2.5 , 1.3 or a 3.0 is from the date.
                            >
                            > At http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=420370 there is not one single
                            > post about Mac Enblend. As far as I remember you are a Mac user yourself so you
                            should
                            > know.

                            And talking about this mess with different versions I just sumbled on this at PTGui Support
                            http://groups.google.com/group/ptgui/browse_thread/thread/638233007f87a83b

                            "There's some differences between the enblend released by kekus.com and
                            the enblend compiled for Huging by mr. Ippei Ukai?
                            I've tried both and i've found the "japanese" enblend running faster
                            on my PPC G5. "

                            Apparently there are 2 versions, or is it. I am not sure as there is no version at all at Hugin
                            for Mac.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                              On Monday, December 03, 2007 at 17:32, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                              > Erik,
                              > Enblend is important to many professional VR Photographers.

                              I know. And I must admit that it was easier when Andrew had enough
                              time to answer himself. I had some very pleasant exchange with him...

                              > And as far as know Enblend 3 has been an official version (if you can talk
                              > about official for OS) since january 2007.

                              It was compiled by Kevin Kratzke. Compiling can be done such and
                              such...

                              > How should I know what is official or not when you do not sign the versions
                              > which are available for download. There is nothing as readme files which
                              > makes it possible to track them. They are not even named in the info with
                              > version number so the only way to know if it is a 2.5 , 1.3 or a 3.0 is from
                              > the date.

                              May be because all that costs time which no one pays for?

                              > At http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=420370 there is not one
                              > single post about Mac Enblend. As far as I remember you are a Mac user
                              > yourself so you should know.

                              No, I'm on windows. My father owns an old cube mac where I have the
                              honour to clean up the system from time to time ;-)

                              I had another problem with enblend 3 - the usage of proprietary
                              (multimedia) processor instructions which my processor didn't
                              understand and which crashed enblend immediately. Someone else
                              reported it to the enblend forum:
                              http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1668117&forum_id=4203
                              70
                              and some time later someone else posted the answer:
                              http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1685658&forum_id=4203
                              70

                              It is certainly not a fault of the forum or the developers that there
                              are no Mac posts, obviously it's the Mac users.

                              I don't know of any big commercial programm where the user is even
                              heard and I know few shareware programmers that react fast on bug
                              reports (the fastest is probably Ed Hamrick ;-). But I know very few
                              open source programmers that refuse to fix a bug if they are *kindly*
                              asked. Ippei is a good example: he tried to fix the bug you found and
                              he (and the whole open source scene) earns only harsh criticism for
                              it...

                              Don't misunderstand me: You critics is welcome! But it sure shouldn't
                              sound as if you spit on the programmers...

                              best regards
                            • Pablo dAngelo
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                                Hi Hans,

                                now instead of complaining about the current lack of a Mac port, could you
                                please help to improve the situation by providing constructive feedback on
                                the updated enblend binary at:

                                http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip

                                The binaries ippei is providing are likely to become the next official
                                enblend release. Constructive feedback is needed, without it no offical OSX
                                release is possible.

                                I'll go back to playing with my baby daughter, this is much more joyful than
                                reading this thread.

                                ciao
                                Pablo

                                Hans Nyberg schrieb:
                                > --- In #email-removed# "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Hans, if enblend is so important to you you should try to get along
                                >> with those open source programmers instead of laughing about them
                                >> (how your humor could be mistaken).
                                >>
                                >> It was you who asked about a memory bug in enblend 3 - not even in an
                                >> offical distribution. It was especially for you that Ippei - albeit
                                >> in his exams - compiled the latest snapshot as a favour. And this
                                >> while sometimes it is very hard not to mistake your words a open
                                >> source bashing...
                                >
                                > Erik,
                                > Enblend is important to many professional VR Photographers.
                                >
                                > And as far as know Enblend 3 has been an official version (if you can talk about official for
                                > OS) since january 2007.
                                >
                                > The Mac Universal compiled version is dated feb 05 2007.
                                > I have no idea how long it has been part of the download items at Kekus.com but this
                                > thread at RealViz is from April.
                                > http://forum.realviz.com/realviz/Discussion-ST/install-enblend-osx-sujet_3557_1.htm
                                >
                                > As you can see they also talk about memory problems but it seems not to be Ram.
                                >
                                > How should I know what is official or not when you do not sign the versions which are
                                > available for download. There is nothing as readme files which makes it possible to track
                                > them. They are not even named in the info with version number so the only way to know if
                                > it is a 2.5 , 1.3 or a 3.0 is from the date.
                                >
                                > At http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=420370 there is not one single
                                > post about Mac Enblend. As far as I remember you are a Mac user yourself so you should
                                > know.
                                >
                                > BTW it seems to be common among Open Source people as the same problem is found
                                > in PTviewer.
                                >
                                > Hans

                              • Arnd Baecker
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                                  On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                                  > > How should I know what is official or not when you do not sign the versions which are
                                  > > available for download. There is nothing as readme files which makes it possible to
                                  > track
                                  > > them. They are not even named in the info with version number so the only way to know
                                  > if
                                  > > it is a 2.5 , 1.3 or a 3.0 is from the date.

                                  What about
                                  enblend -v
                                  ?
                                  Which gives
                                  enblend: no output file specified.
                                  ==== enblend, version 3.0 ====
                                  [... info about command line arguments snipped ...]

                                  Arnd