Download Link: latest enblend for OSX

  • yuval_levy
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
      Ippei of the hugin/panotools Google Summer of Code team has just
      posted the latest version of enblend for OSX.

      Please read this carefully before downloading.

      This is experimental software, provided as-is with no warranty of
      fitness for any purpose.

      The developers community is working actively toward enblend's 3.1
      release and needs feedback. Particularly if you have an OSX Leopard
      Mac, either PPC or Intel.

      Please try it and report back success or failure (with as much detail
      as possible of the errors if applicable).

      <http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip>

      Yuv

      P.S.:
      * OSX runs on the EEE <http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12654/>
      * Asus has solved its "GPL violation"
      <http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/11/27/asus-resolves-eee-gpl-violation-releases-asus_acpi-code-changes>
      * WARNING: the SSD of the EEE is not upgradeable - the RAM is, even if
      according to Asus this will void the warranty, a condition that may be
      illegal in the US.
      <http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3166&p=3>
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "yuval_levy" <yahoo06@...> wrote:

        > Ippei of the hugin/panotools Google Summer of Code team has just
        > posted the latest version of enblend for OSX.
        >
        > Please read this carefully before downloading.
        >
        > This is experimental software, provided as-is with no warranty of
        > fitness for any purpose.
        >
        > The developers community is working actively toward enblend's 3.1
        > release and needs feedback. Particularly if you have an OSX Leopard
        > Mac, either PPC or Intel.
        >
        > Please try it and report back success or failure (with as much detail
        > as possible of the errors if applicable).
        >
        > <http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip>

        Ha Ha, I know it is Christmas soon but I prefer my own Christmas lights.

        http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/merry-enblend.html

        Hans
      • AYRTON - avi
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
          On 12/2/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
          > > Please try it and report back success or failure (with as much detail
          > > as possible of the errors if applicable).
          > >
          > > <http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip>
          >
          > Ha Ha, I know it is Christmas soon but I prefer my own Christmas lights.
          >
          > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/merry-enblend.html

          Jesus
          what was that ???

          AYRTON

          > Hans

          AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
          Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
          Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
          Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "AYRTON - avi" <avi@...> wrote:

            > On 12/2/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
            > > > Please try it and report back success or failure (with as much detail
            > > > as possible of the errors if applicable).
            > > >
            > > > <http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip>
            > >
            > > Ha Ha, I know it is Christmas soon but I prefer my own Christmas lights.
            > >
            > > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/merry-enblend.html
            >
            > Jesus
            > what was that ???

            Well try it yourself, we might become famous as the new psychedelic VR artists.

            Hans
          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "AYRTON - avi" <avi@> wrote:

              > > > Ha Ha, I know it is Christmas soon but I prefer my own Christmas lights.
              > > >
              > > > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/merry-enblend.html
              > >
              > > Jesus
              > > what was that ???
              > >

              > Well try it yourself, we might become famous as the new psychedelic VR artists.

              I just had to try this one
              http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/lsd-in-the-park.html

              I call it LSD in the park.

              Is $10.000 to little for it.?

              Hans
            • Bernhard Vogl
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                > I call it LSD in the park.
                >
                > Is $10.000 to little for it.?

                Does that mean, you spend $10.000 to the developers of enblend?

                Best regards
                Bernhard
              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

                  > > I call it LSD in the park.
                  > >
                  > > Is $10.000 to little for it.?
                  > >

                  > Does that mean, you spend $10.000 to the developers of enblend?

                  If you buy it , yes

                  Hans
                • yuval_levy
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "yuval_levy" <yahoo06@> wrote:

                    <http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip>

                    > Ha Ha, I know it is Christmas soon but I prefer my own Christmas lights.

                    no comments.

                    > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/merry-enblend.html

                    As stated in the intro, the software is for testing purpose only.
                    Let's try to extract some useful information from this feedback.

                    I guess that the colored spots are not present in the input images.
                    Can we see the input images somewhere, ideally already warped, exactly
                    as fed into enblend?

                    In general, although the QTVR displayed fine on my Linux notebook with
                    freepv, we prefer feedback to be limited to that part of the workflow
                    concerning enblend. The perfect feedback is a flat blended image as
                    produced by enblend and a set of input images so that we can try to
                    reproduce the unexpected behavior.

                    also it would be helpful if you could indicate what system you run
                    this on.

                    The post-processing into QTVR (and the humor) are not really relevant
                    to this thread.

                    Thank you
                    Yuv
                  • Hans Nyberg
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "yuval_levy" <yahoo06@...> wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "yuval_levy" <yahoo06@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > <http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip>
                      > >
                      > > Ha Ha, I know it is Christmas soon but I prefer my own Christmas lights.
                      >
                      > no comments.
                      >
                      > > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/merry-enblend.html
                      >
                      > As stated in the intro, the software is for testing purpose only.
                      > Let's try to extract some useful information from this feedback.
                      >
                      > I guess that the colored spots are not present in the input images.
                      > Can we see the input images somewhere, ideally already warped, exactly
                      > as fed into enblend?
                      >
                      > In general, although the QTVR displayed fine on my Linux notebook with
                      > freepv, we prefer feedback to be limited to that part of the workflow
                      > concerning enblend. The perfect feedback is a flat blended image as
                      > produced by enblend and a set of input images so that we can try to
                      > reproduce the unexpected behavior.
                      >
                      > also it would be helpful if you could indicate what system you run
                      > this on.
                      >
                      > The post-processing into QTVR (and the humor) are not really relevant
                      > to this thread.

                      Yuv,
                      You need to have some fun. It's Christmas soon.

                      When you get something like this you can only think that this is a joke or the download is
                      corrupt.

                      I checked the download 3 times. Files look fine even if the change of the name to Enfuce
                      sounds like a joke.

                      The first are from a MacBook Pro OS 10.4.11

                      Here is a test on my G5. Looks a little different but still more like something made for fun.
                      http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/enfuce-test.html

                      Have some fun
                      Hans
                    • Bruno Postle
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                        On Sun 02-Dec-2007 at 17:40 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                        > I checked the download 3 times. Files look fine even if the change
                        > of the name to Enfuce sounds like a joke.

                        This is your problem, enblend-3.1 has a new extra tool called
                        'enfuse' which does HDR merging using multi-resolution splines.

                        I guess this is the result you get when you stuff it with a 'normal'
                        panorama.

                        --
                        Bruno
                      • yuval_levy
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                          Hans,

                          > You need to have some fun. It's Christmas soon.

                          fun is good in a place where misinterpretation and misunderstanding
                          can be cleared up quickly. It is not by mistake that
                          <http://wiki.panotools.org/User_Guidelines#Joint_common_ground> states
                          not to rely on fun. Last time I tried to be funny online, in response
                          to what I perceived as being fun, things went almost completely wrong
                          and a flurry of off-list messages followed. Hence I prefer not to
                          comment on "fun on line" and consider it OT.

                          > When you get something like this you can only think that this is a
                          > joke or the download is corrupt.

                          Sure the result is, to say the least, unexpected. Believe it or not,
                          this happens very often in software development. I am currently
                          helping debug a tonemapping operator and the results look worse than a
                          bad LSD trip. I wish I could sell them for 10.000$, they still would
                          not pay the time/effort that developers and testers have put in it.

                          All I tried to do with this thread was to produce useable feedback for
                          the developers. I am not particularly pleased to see it hijacked for
                          fun. The developers are working seriously on this and they take
                          *every* feedback seriously.

                          Imagine how you would feel if they would not take seriously your
                          feedback when you say that something is not working.

                          > I checked the download 3 times. Files look fine even if the change
                          of the name to Enfuce sounds like a joke.

                          Enfuse is not a change of name. It is a new functionality. Automatic
                          Exposure Blending. So far it seems to work well on Linux, but of
                          course this is new, experimental software and requires extensive
                          testing before being sanctioned as "release grade".

                          The bug that you reported has been found and corrected. Ippei has
                          updated
                          <http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip>
                          and we would appreciate further test results, ideally directly on
                          <http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx/> where Ippei has given more
                          detail of what kind of feedback he needs.

                          Note that he is doing this on his "free", unpaid time. Next week is
                          exams week for him. What he does is a service for the community, if it
                          was for him this could wait for long after the exams, and even beyond
                          since IIRC he does not even shoot HDR nor full sphericals (he received
                          is first pano head sponsored by Agnos for his good job on the Google
                          Summer of Code). So when he develops these functionalities he does so
                          for us who use them and we should be thankful and try to give
                          something back.

                          Of course it would be nice if you could sell your artwork for 10.000$
                          and donate a portion of your revenues to the developers of the
                          software, but it is not necessary. You can provide very valuable
                          feedback with your testing. And we can also have fun together, too,
                          when being careful that we indicate that it's fun, and by doing so
                          without damaging serious threads.

                          > The first are from a MacBook Pro OS 10.4.11
                          >
                          > Here is a test on my G5. Looks a little different but still more
                          > like something made for fun.
                          > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/enfuce-test.html

                          Thank you. Try downloading again and use enblend, not enfuse. Enfuse
                          is for multiple exposures. I suspect that enfuse is a bit confused by
                          all of those overexposed (white) areas :-)

                          > Have some fun

                          <fun>
                          this is another one of those features that work well in Windows and in
                          Linux but not on the Mac. Maybe we should recommend people to install
                          Vista?
                          </fun .... NOT!>

                          <serious>
                          Apple's Canadian website. Online Store. Configuring a Mac Pro.
                          - Upgrade the default 250GB Hard Drive in Bay 1 to 500GB: *155$*
                          - Add a 500GB Hard Drive in Bay 2: *395$*

                          Same time, same place, the online store of NCiX, a leading Canadian
                          online retailer. Prices for a 500GB HDD vary between 125$ and 144$,
                          and they feature all leading HDD manufacturers, including Apple's
                          suppliers. The most expensive 1000GB HDD is 373$.

                          Repeat for CPU, RAM, video card - similar results / price differential.

                          This is Apple, not OLPC <http://www.laptopgiving.org/>

                          </serious .... or fun?>

                          Yuv
                        • Hans Nyberg
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

                            > On Sun 02-Dec-2007 at 17:40 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                            >
                            > > I checked the download 3 times. Files look fine even if the change
                            > > of the name to Enfuce sounds like a joke.
                            >
                            > This is your problem, enblend-3.1 has a new extra tool called
                            > 'enfuse' which does HDR merging using multi-resolution splines.
                            >
                            > I guess this is the result you get when you stuff it with a 'normal'
                            > panorama.

                            It would have been nice with a readme file or some other information.

                            I have been looking everywhere at the HOME of Enblend where discussions about it should
                            take place.

                            There are no posts the last 2 months.
                            After I got the information about what Enfuse is I did a Google search and found 1, yes
                            One single link.

                            To a Google group for Hugin.

                            How do you believe you should be able to get feedback from Professional people who are
                            the users of Enblend when you take the development to a place where professional VR
                            photographers absolutely not will search for it.

                            I have never heard of one single professional VR Photographer who uses Hugin but almost
                            all use enblend together with one of the 3 main Pro stitchers.

                            You have to follow the rules for development of Open source and Enblend has a HOME
                            where you are supposed to publish the developments.

                            Hans
                          • Bruno Postle
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                              On Sun 02-Dec-2007 at 23:03 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                              >After I got the information about what Enfuse is I did a Google search and found 1, yes
                              >One single link.

                              Enfuse has existed for less than three weeks.

                              >I have never heard of one single professional VR Photographer who uses Hugin but almost
                              >all use enblend together with one of the 3 main Pro stitchers.

                              Enblend was written specifically for hugin, luckily for you the
                              developer made the tool separate rather than embedding it.

                              >You have to follow the rules for development of Open source and Enblend has a HOME
                              >where you are supposed to publish the developments.

                              I think that your expectations are that software should come in a
                              shrink-wrapped box or have an 'installer' that you download from the
                              developer's web-site - but in an Open Source context these are
                              incredibly inefficient methods to distribute software.

                              This is why you can't find what you are looking for, because you are
                              looking in the wrong place. You downloaded some software that
                              didn't work as you expected from the ptmac site, why are you
                              complaining here?

                              --
                              Bruno
                            • Arnd Baecker
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                                On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > On Sun 02-Dec-2007 at 17:40 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > I checked the download 3 times. Files look fine even if the change
                                > > > of the name to Enfuce sounds like a joke.
                                > >
                                > > This is your problem, enblend-3.1 has a new extra tool called
                                > > 'enfuse' which does HDR merging using multi-resolution splines.
                                > >
                                > > I guess this is the result you get when you stuff it with a 'normal'
                                > > panorama.
                                > >
                                > It would have been nice with a readme file or some other information.
                                >
                                > I have been looking everywhere at the HOME of Enblend where discussions about it should
                                > take place.
                                >
                                > There are no posts the last 2 months.
                                > After I got the information about what Enfuse is I did a Google search and found 1, yes
                                > One single link.
                                >
                                > To a Google group for Hugin.
                                >
                                > How do you believe you should be able to get feedback from Professional people who are
                                > the users of Enblend when you take the development to a place where professional VR
                                > photographers absolutely not will search for it.
                                >
                                > I have never heard of one single professional VR Photographer who uses Hugin but almost
                                > all use enblend together with one of the 3 main Pro stitchers.
                                >
                                > You have to follow the rules for development of Open source and Enblend has a HOME
                                > where you are supposed to publish the developments.

                                A huge number of open source projects is hosted on sourceforge,
                                so this is a common place for the development of open source projects
                                Looking at the webpage on sourceforge
                                http://enblend.sourceforge.net/
                                this is quite good.

                                In particular it has a link to the discussion forum,
                                where you could ask questions.

                                For Bug Reports / Support Requests:
                                For feature suggestions:
                                (Though the last two seem to have recieve less activity?)

                                It has a pointer to the sourceforge project site,
                                where the source code tree can browsed
                                http://enblend.cvs.sourceforge.net/enblend/enblend/
                                (with information about when a file was changed).

                                In particular for enfuse see
                                http://enblend.cvs.sourceforge.net/enblend/enblend/src/enfuse.cc?view=log

                                Obviously, as also pointed out by Bruno, this is rather new,
                                and most likely should be considered as experimental.

                                Overall I think that all the relevant channels are there,
                                they just have to be used.

                                Development of open source is a community effort,
                                where contributions of all kind are welcome.
                                This goes a long way from
                                - questions
                                - feature request
                                - testing
                                - bug reports
                                - contributions of text snippets to the web-page
                                (these could be added by the developers, so no need for html expertise;
                                the contents/writing is the harder bit),
                                or documentation, or wiki , ...
                                - code contributions (patches, ....)
                                - donations are also welcome in many cases

                                Best, Arnd
                              • Hans Nyberg
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker@...> wrote:
                                  photographers absolutely not will search for it.

                                  > > I have never heard of one single professional VR Photographer who uses Hugin but
                                  almost
                                  > > all use enblend together with one of the 3 main Pro stitchers.
                                  > >
                                  > > You have to follow the rules for development of Open source and Enblend has a
                                  HOME
                                  > > where you are supposed to publish the developments.
                                  >
                                  > A huge number of open source projects is hosted on sourceforge,
                                  > so this is a common place for the development of open source projects
                                  > Looking at the webpage on sourceforge
                                  > http://enblend.sourceforge.net/
                                  > this is quite good.
                                  >
                                  > In particular it has a link to the discussion forum,
                                  > http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=420370
                                  > where you could ask questions.
                                  >
                                  > For Bug Reports / Support Requests:
                                  > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=123407&atid=696410
                                  > For feature suggestions:
                                  > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=123407&atid=696412
                                  > (Though the last two seem to have recieve less activity?)
                                  >
                                  > It has a pointer to the sourceforge project site,
                                  > where the source code tree can browsed
                                  > http://enblend.cvs.sourceforge.net/enblend/enblend/
                                  > (with information about when a file was changed).
                                  >
                                  > In particular for enfuse see
                                  > http://enblend.cvs.sourceforge.net/enblend/enblend/src/enfuse.cc?view=log
                                  >
                                  > Obviously, as also pointed out by Bruno, this is rather new,
                                  > and most likely should be considered as experimental.
                                  >
                                  > Overall I think that all the relevant channels are there,
                                  > they just have to be used.

                                  When I am talking about the HOME this is of course http://enblend.sourceforge.net/

                                  But as I also say the activity of the forum is minimal.
                                  During the last 1 1/2 year there is only 25 threads and the last post was sept 26.

                                  Its not very easy to find it on the main page either.

                                  All major stitchers are linking to http://enblend.sourceforge.net/ but to make it more
                                  useful for the people who seek information it ought to be redesigned.

                                  Hans
                                • dmgalpha
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007

                                    [...]
                                    > Its not very easy to find it on the main page either.
                                    >
                                    > All major stitchers are linking to http://enblend.sourceforge.net/
                                    but to make it more
                                    > useful for the people who seek information it ought to be redesigned.
                                    >
                                    > Hans

                                    Version 3.1 is not being officially released (yet). As such, it is
                                    considered experimental.

                                    if you really want it, and you are willing to do some work, then
                                    install fink (fink.sourceforge.net). After you have done it, open a
                                    terminal (inside Applications/Utilities) and follow the instructions here:

                                    http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_OSX

                                    It is not that difficult.

                                    Another alternative is that you offer a bounty for a compiled version
                                    of enblend. It might work.

                                    --dmg
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                                      On Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 17:40, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                                      > Here is a test on my G5. Looks a little different but still more like something made for fun.
                                      > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/enblend/enfuce-test.html

                                      So everything clears off: Ippei accidentially packaged the wrong
                                      binaries. Here is his mail:

                                      --snip
                                      Sorry, it was wrong programs I put in the archive... I've uploaded
                                      the new file, and is available from the same address.

                                      Oh, and please include your command and arguments in your report.

                                      Thanks
                                      Ippei

                                      PS. I'm only reading this ML from the web. I'd appreciate it if you
                                      could CC me (ippei_ukaiATmacDOTcom) your report when you send.
                                      --snap

                                      Hans, if enblend is so important to you you should try to get along
                                      with those open source programmers instead of laughing about them
                                      (how your humor could be mistaken).

                                      It was you who asked about a memory bug in enblend 3 - not even in an
                                      offical distribution. It was especially for you that Ippei - albeit
                                      in his exams - compiled the latest snapshot as a favour. And this
                                      while sometimes it is very hard not to mistake your words a open
                                      source bashing...

                                      best regards
                                    • Hans Nyberg
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007

                                        > Hans, if enblend is so important to you you should try to get along
                                        > with those open source programmers instead of laughing about them
                                        > (how your humor could be mistaken).
                                        >
                                        > It was you who asked about a memory bug in enblend 3 - not even in an
                                        > offical distribution. It was especially for you that Ippei - albeit
                                        > in his exams - compiled the latest snapshot as a favour. And this
                                        > while sometimes it is very hard not to mistake your words a open
                                        > source bashing...

                                        Erik,
                                        Enblend is important to many professional VR Photographers.

                                        And as far as know Enblend 3 has been an official version (if you can talk about official for
                                        OS) since january 2007.

                                        The Mac Universal compiled version is dated feb 05 2007.
                                        I have no idea how long it has been part of the download items at Kekus.com but this
                                        thread at RealViz is from April.
                                        http://forum.realviz.com/realviz/Discussion-ST/install-enblend-osx-sujet_3557_1.htm

                                        As you can see they also talk about memory problems but it seems not to be Ram.

                                        How should I know what is official or not when you do not sign the versions which are
                                        available for download. There is nothing as readme files which makes it possible to track
                                        them. They are not even named in the info with version number so the only way to know if
                                        it is a 2.5 , 1.3 or a 3.0 is from the date.

                                        At http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=420370 there is not one single
                                        post about Mac Enblend. As far as I remember you are a Mac user yourself so you should
                                        know.

                                        BTW it seems to be common among Open Source people as the same problem is found
                                        in PTviewer.

                                        Hans
                                      • Hans Nyberg
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007

                                          > As you can see they also talk about memory problems but it seems not to be Ram.
                                          >
                                          > How should I know what is official or not when you do not sign the versions which are
                                          > available for download. There is nothing as readme files which makes it possible to
                                          track
                                          > them. They are not even named in the info with version number so the only way to know
                                          if
                                          > it is a 2.5 , 1.3 or a 3.0 is from the date.
                                          >
                                          > At http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=420370 there is not one single
                                          > post about Mac Enblend. As far as I remember you are a Mac user yourself so you
                                          should
                                          > know.

                                          And talking about this mess with different versions I just sumbled on this at PTGui Support
                                          http://groups.google.com/group/ptgui/browse_thread/thread/638233007f87a83b

                                          "There's some differences between the enblend released by kekus.com and
                                          the enblend compiled for Huging by mr. Ippei Ukai?
                                          I've tried both and i've found the "japanese" enblend running faster
                                          on my PPC G5. "

                                          Apparently there are 2 versions, or is it. I am not sure as there is no version at all at Hugin
                                          for Mac.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                                            On Monday, December 03, 2007 at 17:32, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                                            > Erik,
                                            > Enblend is important to many professional VR Photographers.

                                            I know. And I must admit that it was easier when Andrew had enough
                                            time to answer himself. I had some very pleasant exchange with him...

                                            > And as far as know Enblend 3 has been an official version (if you can talk
                                            > about official for OS) since january 2007.

                                            It was compiled by Kevin Kratzke. Compiling can be done such and
                                            such...

                                            > How should I know what is official or not when you do not sign the versions
                                            > which are available for download. There is nothing as readme files which
                                            > makes it possible to track them. They are not even named in the info with
                                            > version number so the only way to know if it is a 2.5 , 1.3 or a 3.0 is from
                                            > the date.

                                            May be because all that costs time which no one pays for?

                                            > At http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=420370 there is not one
                                            > single post about Mac Enblend. As far as I remember you are a Mac user
                                            > yourself so you should know.

                                            No, I'm on windows. My father owns an old cube mac where I have the
                                            honour to clean up the system from time to time ;-)

                                            I had another problem with enblend 3 - the usage of proprietary
                                            (multimedia) processor instructions which my processor didn't
                                            understand and which crashed enblend immediately. Someone else
                                            reported it to the enblend forum:
                                            http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1668117&forum_id=4203
                                            70
                                            and some time later someone else posted the answer:
                                            http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1685658&forum_id=4203
                                            70

                                            It is certainly not a fault of the forum or the developers that there
                                            are no Mac posts, obviously it's the Mac users.

                                            I don't know of any big commercial programm where the user is even
                                            heard and I know few shareware programmers that react fast on bug
                                            reports (the fastest is probably Ed Hamrick ;-). But I know very few
                                            open source programmers that refuse to fix a bug if they are *kindly*
                                            asked. Ippei is a good example: he tried to fix the bug you found and
                                            he (and the whole open source scene) earns only harsh criticism for
                                            it...

                                            Don't misunderstand me: You critics is welcome! But it sure shouldn't
                                            sound as if you spit on the programmers...

                                            best regards
                                          • Pablo dAngelo
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                                              Hi Hans,

                                              now instead of complaining about the current lack of a Mac port, could you
                                              please help to improve the situation by providing constructive feedback on
                                              the updated enblend binary at:

                                              http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-svn_mac.zip

                                              The binaries ippei is providing are likely to become the next official
                                              enblend release. Constructive feedback is needed, without it no offical OSX
                                              release is possible.

                                              I'll go back to playing with my baby daughter, this is much more joyful than
                                              reading this thread.

                                              ciao
                                              Pablo

                                              Hans Nyberg schrieb:
                                              > --- In #email-removed# "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> Hans, if enblend is so important to you you should try to get along
                                              >> with those open source programmers instead of laughing about them
                                              >> (how your humor could be mistaken).
                                              >>
                                              >> It was you who asked about a memory bug in enblend 3 - not even in an
                                              >> offical distribution. It was especially for you that Ippei - albeit
                                              >> in his exams - compiled the latest snapshot as a favour. And this
                                              >> while sometimes it is very hard not to mistake your words a open
                                              >> source bashing...
                                              >
                                              > Erik,
                                              > Enblend is important to many professional VR Photographers.
                                              >
                                              > And as far as know Enblend 3 has been an official version (if you can talk about official for
                                              > OS) since january 2007.
                                              >
                                              > The Mac Universal compiled version is dated feb 05 2007.
                                              > I have no idea how long it has been part of the download items at Kekus.com but this
                                              > thread at RealViz is from April.
                                              > http://forum.realviz.com/realviz/Discussion-ST/install-enblend-osx-sujet_3557_1.htm
                                              >
                                              > As you can see they also talk about memory problems but it seems not to be Ram.
                                              >
                                              > How should I know what is official or not when you do not sign the versions which are
                                              > available for download. There is nothing as readme files which makes it possible to track
                                              > them. They are not even named in the info with version number so the only way to know if
                                              > it is a 2.5 , 1.3 or a 3.0 is from the date.
                                              >
                                              > At http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=420370 there is not one single
                                              > post about Mac Enblend. As far as I remember you are a Mac user yourself so you should
                                              > know.
                                              >
                                              > BTW it seems to be common among Open Source people as the same problem is found
                                              > in PTviewer.
                                              >
                                              > Hans

                                            • Arnd Baecker
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                                                On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                                                > > How should I know what is official or not when you do not sign the versions which are
                                                > > available for download. There is nothing as readme files which makes it possible to
                                                > track
                                                > > them. They are not even named in the info with version number so the only way to know
                                                > if
                                                > > it is a 2.5 , 1.3 or a 3.0 is from the date.

                                                What about
                                                enblend -v
                                                ?
                                                Which gives
                                                enblend: no output file specified.
                                                ==== enblend, version 3.0 ====
                                                [... info about command line arguments snipped ...]

                                                Arnd