How to speed up your (Windows-) computer

  • Bernhard Vogl
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2007
      I have collected 4 basic tipps that will speed up your Windows system:
      http://dativ.at/howto/speedup
      The instructions are tailored for Vista users but the basic idea behind
      can also help users with other operating systems to find their
      bottlenecks...

      Best regards
      Bernhard
    • Carel
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2007
        Bernhard Vogl-2 wrote:

        > I have collected 4 basic tipps that will speed up your Windows system:
        > http://dativ.at/howto/speedup
        > The instructions are tailored for Vista users but the basic idea behind
        > can also help users with other operating systems to find their
        > bottlenecks...
        >
        > Best regards
        > Bernhard

        Hi Bernhard,

        Thanks for those tips. A few question:

        With Vista tested to be slower than XP and also a resource hog, why did you
        upgrade?
        Would you get better results with an eSATA enclosure? Theoretically there
        should be a significant difference, but I have not found any "real world"
        tests besides this one:
        http://tinyurl.com/2qx5f5
        On my MacBook Pro USB2 seems to be slower when running under OS X than under
        XP (on the same machine).

        Carel Struycken
      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 2, 2007
          On 12/2/2007 6:04 AM, Bernhard Vogl rambled on about ...:
          > I have collected 4 basic tipps that will speed up your Windows system:
          > http://dativ.at/howto/speedup
          > The instructions are tailored for Vista users but the basic idea behind
          > can also help users with other operating systems to find their
          > bottlenecks...

          Towards the bottom of the page you say " During stitching, disable scan
          of image files or disable on-access scanning at all:" but I don't see a
          way to disable just image scanning. Are you running the free version of
          AVG?

          > Best regards
          > Bernhard

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • robert_harshman
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 2, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

            > I have collected 4 basic tipps that will speed up your Windows
            system:

            Speed kills, remember :)

            Always a topic of interest, how to get the best performance out of a
            computer. In the old days, people were fired for using less than 80%
            of the CPU or system capability, now the typical user uses less than
            1% of a computer's 24/7/365 capability. My how times and benchmarks
            change.

            If you want to truly optimize a PC today, look to the gaming sites
            and "hardcore" geek sites. Overclocking the CPU, memory and FSB has
            become relatively easy. With the proper motherboard, bios, and
            Cooling system, etc. it's quite possible to overclock a Quad core
            6600 from 2.4 Mhz to about 3.4 or so. Use liquid cooling ( ah the
            good old days) and even faster overclocks are doable. This is a
            significant difference in speed and it's "free."

            For hard disk speed, look to RAID and partitioning, both together are
            quite effective. The note about 1/4 partitioning is quite a simple
            speed bump and effective.

            Of course to do all of this, you need to buy the latest and greatest
            gear. It's a never ending cycle. Hope your got your spouse on board :)

            Regards

            Robert
          • Bernhard Vogl
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 3, 2007
              Hi Carel,

              > With Vista tested to be slower than XP and also a resource hog, why did
              > you upgrade?

              Although it's not as mature as XP, there are some nice new concepts and features i like (HDPhoto integration, "search as you type", better handling of high load etc.). Plus, it can talk to my Xbox 360 ;-)
              Yes it needs more resources than XP which needed more resources than W2K which needed more resources than NT which needed......

              > Would you get better results with an eSATA enclosure? Theoretically there
              > should be a significant difference, but I have not found any "real world"
              > tests besides this one:
              > http://tinyurl.com/2qx5f5
              > On my MacBook Pro USB2 seems to be slower when running under OS X than
              > under XP (on the same machine).

              eSATA offers the same performance like internal SATA connections, just for external HDD boxes (it actually is the same thing). So it is far better than USB2 and Firewire. I'm sure we will see some interesting cheap SATA-based solutions appearing in the next months/years.
              In contrast to Firewire, USB needs quite much CPU resources. It may be a driver issue if USB on OSX is slower than on XP...

              Best regards
              Bernhard
            • Bernhard Vogl
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 3, 2007
                Hello Pat,

                > Towards the bottom of the page you say " During stitching, disable scan
                > of image files or disable on-access scanning at all:" but I don't see a
                > way to disable just image scanning. Are you running the free version of
                > AVG?

                The free version of AVG - which i use - only allows disabling the whole scan engine.
                If you use the retail version you can influence more parameters...

                Best regards
                Bernhard
              • Ian Wood
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2007
                  On 3 Dec 2007, at 13:38, Bernhard Vogl wrote:

                  > It may be a driver issue if USB on OSX is slower than on XP...

                  USB drivers on OS X have never been amazing in terms of speed...

                  Ian
                • Bernhard Vogl
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Hello Robert,

                    > Speed kills, remember :)

                    That's why i always wear a helmet during photography and stitching ;-)

                    > Always a topic of interest, how to get the best performance out of a
                    > computer. In the old days, people were fired for using less than 80%
                    > of the CPU or system capability, now the typical user uses less than
                    > 1% of a computer's 24/7/365 capability. My how times and benchmarks
                    > change.
                    >
                    > If you want to truly optimize a PC today, look to the gaming sites
                    > and "hardcore" geek sites. Overclocking the CPU, memory and FSB has
                    > become relatively easy. With the proper motherboard, bios, and
                    > Cooling system, etc. it's quite possible to overclock a Quad core
                    > 6600 from 2.4 Mhz to about 3.4 or so. Use liquid cooling ( ah the
                    > good old days) and even faster overclocks are doable. This is a
                    > significant difference in speed and it's "free."

                    Hmm - if i read what overclockers do to get the best out of their system, it doesn't really sound like being a cheap hobby. :)
                    This certainly also changed over time. Nowadays, a decent computer is already built utilizing heat pipes and large fans. The margins of overclocking a system are much narrower than some years ago and most people are more intersted in a stable system than in gaining a few percent speed increase (if the CPU/GPU is faster, it's good for gaming but it doesn't help much for overall system performance).

                    > For hard disk speed, look to RAID and partitioning, both together are
                    > quite effective. The note about 1/4 partitioning is quite a simple
                    > speed bump and effective.
                    >
                    > Of course to do all of this, you need to buy the latest and greatest
                    > gear. It's a never ending cycle. Hope your got your spouse on board :)

                    I have written a note about RAID some days ago, hidden in a thread with a non-matching topic:
                    http://tinyurl.com/37plvu
                    I didn't include RAID considerations in the Windows tipps, because Windows doesn't offer soft-RAID by default and good hardware solutions are still expensive.

                    Though - I think, nowadays, the price isn't really a problem anymore. A well-suited computer costs about 600EUR. This is a well balanced "business" computer with up-to date technology - enough to make you happy for the next 2-3 years.
                    Your wife will need the same amount of money every 2-3 months for new shoes ... ;-)

                    Best regards
                    Bernhard
                  • Bernhard Vogl
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2007
                      > > It may be a driver issue if USB on OSX is slower than on XP...
                      >
                      > USB drivers on OS X have never been amazing in terms of speed...

                      Firewire is sure the better alternative - even with Windows. On an Athlon XP system USB2 needed up to 30% CPU at full speed...
                      As mentioned before, eSATA may well evolve as the best solution in the near future...

                      Best regards
                      Bernhard
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2007
                        On Monday, December 03, 2007 at 14:43, Bernhard Vogl wrote:

                        > The free version of AVG - which i use - only allows disabling the whole scan
                        > engine. If you use the retail version you can influence more parameters...

                        Avira PE (free too) allows to en- or disable file extensions...

                        best regards
                      • Pat Swovelin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 3, 2007
                          On 12/3/2007 5:43 AM, Bernhard Vogl rambled on about ...:
                          > Hello Pat,
                          >
                          >> Towards the bottom of the page you say " During stitching, disable scan
                          >> of image files or disable on-access scanning at all:" but I don't see a
                          >> way to disable just image scanning. Are you running the free version of
                          >> AVG?
                          >
                          > The free version of AVG - which i use - only allows disabling the
                          > whole scan engine.
                          > If you use the retail version you can influence more parameters...

                          Thanks for the clarification.

                          > Best regards
                          > Bernhard

                          Pat Swovelin
                          Cool Guy @ Large
                        • Pat Swovelin
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 3, 2007
                            On 12/3/2007 6:24 AM, Bernhard Vogl rambled on about ...:
                            > Hello Robert,
                            >
                            >> Speed kills, remember :)
                            >
                            > That's why i always wear a helmet during photography and stitching ;-)
                            >
                            >> Always a topic of interest, how to get the best performance out of a
                            >> computer. In the old days, people were fired for using less than 80%
                            >> of the CPU or system capability, now the typical user uses less than
                            >> 1% of a computer's 24/7/365 capability. My how times and benchmarks
                            >> change.
                            >>
                            >> If you want to truly optimize a PC today, look to the gaming sites
                            >> and "hardcore" geek sites. Overclocking the CPU, memory and FSB has
                            >> become relatively easy. With the proper motherboard, bios, and
                            >> Cooling system, etc. it's quite possible to overclock a Quad core
                            >> 6600 from 2.4 Mhz to about 3.4 or so. Use liquid cooling ( ah the
                            >> good old days) and even faster overclocks are doable. This is a
                            >> significant difference in speed and it's "free."
                            >
                            > Hmm - if i read what overclockers do to get the best out of their
                            > system, it doesn't really sound like being a cheap hobby. :)
                            > This certainly also changed over time. Nowadays, a decent computer is
                            > already built utilizing heat pipes and large fans. The margins of
                            > overclocking a system are much narrower than some years ago and most
                            > people are more intersted in a stable system than in gaining a few
                            > percent speed increase (if the CPU/GPU is faster, it's good for gaming
                            > but it doesn't help much for overall system performance).
                            >
                            >> For hard disk speed, look to RAID and partitioning, both together are
                            >> quite effective. The note about 1/4 partitioning is quite a simple
                            >> speed bump and effective.
                            >>
                            >> Of course to do all of this, you need to buy the latest and greatest
                            >> gear. It's a never ending cycle. Hope your got your spouse on board :)
                            >
                            > I have written a note about RAID some days ago, hidden in a thread
                            > with a non-matching topic:
                            > http://tinyurl.com/37plvu
                            > I didn't include RAID considerations in the Windows tipps, because
                            > Windows doesn't offer soft-RAID by default and good hardware solutions
                            > are still expensive.
                            >
                            > Though - I think, nowadays, the price isn't really a problem anymore.
                            > A well-suited computer costs about 600EUR. This is a well balanced
                            > "business" computer with up-to date technology - enough to make you
                            > happy for the next 2-3 years.
                            > Your wife will need the same amount of money every 2-3 months for new
                            > shoes ... ;-)

                            If she's reading this I sure hope your couch is comfortable... =8^)

                            > Best regards
                            > Bernhard

                            Pat Swovelin
                            Cool Guy @ Large
                          • Andrew Crawford
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 3, 2007
                              Bernhard Vogl wrote:
                              > Hello Pat,
                              >
                              >> Towards the bottom of the page you say " During stitching, disable scan
                              >> of image files or disable on-access scanning at all:" but I don't see a
                              >> way to disable just image scanning. Are you running the free version of
                              >> AVG?
                              >
                              > The free version of AVG - which i use - only allows disabling the whole
                              > scan engine.
                              > If you use the retail version you can influence more parameters...
                              >
                              > Best regards
                              > Bernhard

                              This may be drifting too far off topic but:

                              People should also note that the free version of AVG is licensed only
                              for non-commercial home users. So, if you are a photography
                              professional, you should be using AVG Professional.

                              Remember, you never know if a Grisoft (AVG) reseller might be a list
                              member ...

                              Those looking for a free solution might also want to check out the
                              ClamWin anti-virus scanner:

                              http://www.clamwin.com/

                              Andrew Crawford
                            • Pat Swovelin
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 3, 2007
                                On 12/3/2007 1:25 PM, Andrew Crawford rambled on about ...:
                                > Bernhard Vogl wrote:
                                >> Hello Pat,
                                >>
                                >>> Towards the bottom of the page you say " During stitching, disable scan
                                >>> of image files or disable on-access scanning at all:" but I don't see a
                                >>> way to disable just image scanning. Are you running the free version of
                                >>> AVG?
                                >> The free version of AVG - which i use - only allows disabling the whole
                                >> scan engine.
                                >> If you use the retail version you can influence more parameters...
                                >>
                                >> Best regards
                                >> Bernhard
                                >
                                > This may be drifting too far off topic but:
                                >
                                > People should also note that the free version of AVG is licensed only
                                > for non-commercial home users. So, if you are a photography
                                > professional, you should be using AVG Professional.

                                On your business machine...

                                > Remember, you never know if a Grisoft (AVG) reseller might be a list
                                > member ...
                                >
                                > Those looking for a free solution might also want to check out the
                                > ClamWin anti-virus scanner:
                                >
                                > http://www.clamwin.com/

                                Are you using ClamWin and, if so, what do you think of its capabilities?

                                > Andrew Crawford

                                Pat Swovelin
                                Cool Guy @ Large
                              • Andrew Crawford
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
                                  Pat Swovelin wrote:
                                  > On 12/3/2007 1:25 PM, Andrew Crawford rambled on about ...:

                                  >> People should also note that the free version of AVG is licensed only
                                  >> for non-commercial home users. So, if you are a photography
                                  >> professional, you should be using AVG Professional.
                                  >
                                  > On your business machine...

                                  That was my point.

                                  >> Those looking for a free solution might also want to check out the
                                  >> ClamWin anti-virus scanner:
                                  >>
                                  >> http://www.clamwin.com/ <http://www.clamwin.com/>
                                  >
                                  > Are you using ClamWin and, if so, what do you think of its capabilities?
                                  >
                                  >> Andrew Crawford
                                  >
                                  > Pat Swovelin
                                  > Cool Guy @ Large

                                  I am only using ClamWin as a secondary malware scanning tool on a custom
                                  Windows PE boot disc. It seems to work pretty well for that. My chief
                                  complaint is not really specific to ClamWin: the different scanners all
                                  use different names for the malware, making it difficult to find enough
                                  information to actually remove some malware items (from other people's
                                  computers ...).

                                  ClamWin can be used as an active real-time scanner on Windows
                                  workstations. From my limited experience with that, it seems to work
                                  okay. Have you had a different experience?

                                  I do use ClamAV on my Linux-based file servers to do regular scans of
                                  all user data.

                                  More to the main topic of the thread: there are various built-in
                                  services that can be disabled, which may also improve performance some:

                                  The thing I see slowing down most Windows machines the most is all the
                                  unnecessary hidden things running - MSFT Messenger, Adobe Acrobat
                                  Assistant, MSFT Office Quick Launch, etc. Stuff like that eats up the
                                  RAM and, sometimes, the CPU time, too.

                                  Honestly, it takes a few hours to un-gunk a new Windows XP installation
                                  to where it performs optimally - even those that come pre-installed on
                                  new machines. That's a task that is beyond most normal users. Even for
                                  computer professionals, it takes some work to sort out how to do it. I
                                  expect most people here are at least "power users" and can probably
                                  manage, with some research.

                                  Andrew Crawford
                                • Pat Swovelin
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
                                    On 12/4/2007 12:56 PM, Andrew Crawford rambled on about ...:
                                    >>> Those looking for a free solution might also want to check out the
                                    >>> ClamWin anti-virus scanner:
                                    >>>
                                    >>> http://www.clamwin.com/ <http://www.clamwin.com/>
                                    >> Are you using ClamWin and, if so, what do you think of its capabilities?
                                    >>
                                    >>> Andrew Crawford
                                    >> Pat Swovelin
                                    >> Cool Guy @ Large
                                    >
                                    > I am only using ClamWin as a secondary malware scanning tool on a custom
                                    > Windows PE boot disc. It seems to work pretty well for that. My chief
                                    > complaint is not really specific to ClamWin: the different scanners all
                                    > use different names for the malware, making it difficult to find enough
                                    > information to actually remove some malware items (from other people's
                                    > computers ...).
                                    >
                                    > ClamWin can be used as an active real-time scanner on Windows
                                    > workstations. From my limited experience with that, it seems to work
                                    > okay. Have you had a different experience?

                                    No, my only use of it is on a USB drive with PortableApps for when I'm
                                    on the road and can't take my notebook with me.

                                    > I do use ClamAV on my Linux-based file servers to do regular scans of
                                    > all user data.
                                    >
                                    > More to the main topic of the thread: there are various built-in
                                    > services that can be disabled, which may also improve performance some:
                                    >
                                    > http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

                                    Great stuff, thanks.

                                    > The thing I see slowing down most Windows machines the most is all the
                                    > unnecessary hidden things running - MSFT Messenger, Adobe Acrobat
                                    > Assistant, MSFT Office Quick Launch, etc. Stuff like that eats up the
                                    > RAM and, sometimes, the CPU time, too.
                                    >
                                    > Honestly, it takes a few hours to un-gunk a new Windows XP installation
                                    > to where it performs optimally - even those that come pre-installed on
                                    > new machines. That's a task that is beyond most normal users. Even for
                                    > computer professionals, it takes some work to sort out how to do it. I
                                    > expect most people here are at least "power users" and can probably
                                    > manage, with some research.

                                    And help from people like yourself.

                                    > Andrew Crawford

                                    Pat Swovelin